Alternate Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FranktheBank, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Alnitak Augur

My main characters on my accounts all have 100K+ or Marks of Valor and a zillion of other currencies (consequently, my lvl 75+ personas can buy whatever gear they want up-to 100 from CotF merchants),
    And my main characters still grind expansion coins for current Type5 augs and pick up hundreds (literally) T2 items for tribute. My alt personas of high level would benefit that as well. And T2 armor usually rots all the time along with T2 type 7 augs and weapons - would find a good use with alt personas.
    Raid currency would be used for raid upgrades when level appropriate. And my main's old raid gear can be reused at times (unless I turned it into the tribute yet).
    Good times ahead. And no need to to those pesky achievements again and again for every new class alt I make. Experience and gear is easy, full expansion progressions are the real time-sink.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

Huh...that sounds EXACTLY like the way the game is right now. Just replace the word "persona" with the world "alt" and nothing has changed. :D
    Kaenneth and Nennius like this.
  3. Leex Pewpewer

It sounds like making a fresh alt on a different account is significantly less of a headache. Not only will you not share lockouts, but you don't need to worry about class specific augs, and you can utilize multiple characters at once, overall having more power.

Persona seems very niche, and will likely not be useful to a lot of players. I'd be willing to bet about 75% of the player base has an alt account, and would rather utilize the alt account over the persona system. Speaking of the persona system, is it even out on beta? For the people who /beta, not talking about the devs.

Sounds like a system that could have been avoided in lieu of more content for group and raid players alike, or you know..Class balance?! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll be fun to play with..Like that toy you got when you were younger, then after a week, never touched again.

But uh, seems like time and money could have been spent more effectively, elsewhere...
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would you need to swap out 95% of your gear when switching classes? At most you would need to swap out the class specific slots and manage your class specific augs. There is no need to acquire multiple of the same all/all or archetype items for different classes as they can share them.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that works for people who want to make alts on multiple accounts but that isn't how everyone wants to play.

Not everyone actually wants to do the same raids multiple times in a lockout cycle which means the lockouts wouldn't impact them at all.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  6. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

95% refers to your incorrect assessment of reduced gearing requirements. It's not an accurate statement. Simply put you're wrong.

You ignored my scenario of the group player that wants to help multiple groups of people by doing different roles. What's the point of Personas for them?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Knifen Augur

Unless im reading it wrong all my gear with the exception of 4 slots is class specific. The exception being Face, Neck (shared with a few classes), Shoulders, 2nd Slot Weapon (Shared with a few classes) Dunno maybe some augs are making it class specific, I didn't dig to deep but seems like that's pretty close to 80%.

What where you coming up with in non class specific items, at least on raiders gear. It might be diff for group gear or something?
  8. Alnitak Augur

You wanna help me with Zlandicar mission? Bring in your zerker or beastlord persona.
    You wanna help me with Ka Vethan mission? Bring in your dps caster or ranger persona.
    You wanna help me with Aten Ha Ra mission? Bring in your pet class persona.
    I got no need for your bard, I got my own bards.
    So, make zerker, mage and beastlord personas, and you'll be able to help me.
  9. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Now, some other guildmates sign on a couple hours later and want to run that same cycle but they need a tank. How do Personas help this scenario?
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that is reduced each time you level up a new persona or if you are starting a character from scratch after the system is in place and you save the gear for your personas as you level up.

They can still do that with alts or wait for the lockout timer to expire. There is no need for personas to solve every possible problem and situation that you can think of.
  11. Alnitak Augur

Enter the real alts, tank or what else.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You really can't count gear as being class specific just because you put a type 3 aug in it. In general the only class specific gear would be visibles, there are some weapons but most of those are archetype and can be used by multiple classes.

If they are adding the ability to swap around gear sets as it appears to be from the UI on beta it would follow that they are also working on dealing with augs as well.
    Knifen likes this.
  13. Knifen Augur

So it is the augs, Type 3s. (At this point thou Id almost rather them just upgrade the discs/spells the Type 3 effects and get rid of them all together. I spose they could also just make the class specific item swap to the class specific version of the class your swapping to, to make it work, not sure on the aug part thou.
  14. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

So, why do I want to dedicate time to Personas when I’m back in the same situation of needing to make alts?
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As I said in the previous post, this new feature might not be for you but there are others who are looking forward to it.
  16. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

No, this feature has potential to be very nice but the lockouts would prevent it from having the functionality that I would consider valuable.
  17. Tuco Augur

It's pretty easy to imagine a feature set that makes it easier for a cloth caster main to create a tank persona than an alt tank (or whatever combination), especially if you want your alt tank to have all the low-reward, high-effort bonuses like Heroic AAs. But that's just imagination.

How lock-outs are handled is a pretty big question, for the reasons you've stated.

Gotta wait for the rollout or answers to our questions in the beta thread to see what the actual features are.
    KushallaFV and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  18. strongbus Augur

Raid gear/coins/unlock stuff on merc. I raid. it be nice to be able to use those spare coins for something.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  19. DeadRagarr Augur

Persona means essentially any gear is "heirloom" without actually being heirloom. You can get any no trade and easily drop it off to a leveling persona or even use up those wasting away currencies you have a bunch of from farming the end of an expansion. It would ideally be much easier to gear a persona rather than an alt for those reasons.

Less rot loot, less wasted currency, less wasted time Tradeskilling for the billionth time. Sign me up. As far as the previous post of people saying don't come unless you bring "X" persona, how is that any different now?

Hey bill were doing "X" mission. You want to bring a tank? Sorry got one, just log onto your healer box and main it for us. See? Not much different.
  20. Alnitak Augur

Actual alt - separate lockout, takes more effort to bring up-to speed with progression/flags/achievements/tradeskills.
    Alternative persona - same lockout, takes much less time to bring up to snuff, and can use same-character-inventory advanatage for gearing up.

Those compliment each other, not compete against.
    N.B. I agree with you.