Fixed Reset device () failed worse than ever!

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Sarrwin, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Other half got booted out to desktop for no reason a couple of nights ago, we were just playing normally and then he was at desktop.

Came back in no problem, but was a weird kick.
  2. Pikollo Augur

Any eta on this? It’s become more than annoying.
  3. Aanuvane Augur

I had this happen again last night (it's happened a few other times too that I haven't bothered to re-report). Last night, I had 4 accounts logged in and the one I had focus on gave this reset error when I used a switch to toggle my third monitor to my personal PC from my work PC.
  4. Pikollo Augur

Ya it happens any time your video drivers reset. Like turning off/on another monitor or starting programs with admin rights. Its frustrating when I am working opening what I need to do my work. Or if I am playing and have to open a job I was working on to check something etc.
  5. Aanuvane Augur

Except it doesn't happen every time - it's quite random.
  6. Eilelyen Journeyman

Bump as well, getting the reset device failure since last big patch and it's rather frustrating. I can't figure out an exact reason why it's happening, just it didn't happen before.
  7. Pikollo Augur

True. I just turned a monitor off and didn't crash. I thought it was a miracle.
  8. Febb Augur

Do any of you have Nvidia RTX video cards that are experiencing this issue?
  9. Pikollo Augur

Desktop is a 1080, laptop is a 765 or something.
  10. Febb Augur

Try disabling the RTX Desktop Manager.
  11. Pikollo Augur

I don't see an RTX Desktop Manager running. I got some Nvidia processes but no manager.
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

13. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I wonder how much the is related to EQ serving 2 sets of UI data at once while implementing new UI elements and csaling them. The data is being dropped sometimes, alt o - display - video modes = blank values for resolution when it happens.

100% of the chrashes I have experienced the cached data for the windowed and fullscreen resolutions were NOT saved or were drastically incorrect, like windowed 640 and fullscreen 1080. Why is EQ resetting these values to 640 at random?

In 100% of the crashes, this has been the constant.

P99 figured it out.
  14. Cairbrae Developer

A fix for this is scheduled for the November Live update.
    Thunderkiks and Skuz like this.
  15. Thunderkiks Augur

I love you!
    Cairbrae likes this.
  16. Cairbrae Developer

Unfortunately, this issue had missed the cuttoff date for Nov and has been rescheduled.
    The good news is that I'm working on it this week. Cross your fingers!
  17. newc322 Lorekeeper

This happens to me if i turn off my monitors. I play in windowed mode and have no issues alt tabbing to itunes/chrome/gina but if my monitors turn off, instant reset device crash.
    Ndaara likes this.
  18. Pikollo Augur

Out of curiosity will this still need a patch? So we are looking at December for the fix?
  19. Randomized Augur

So when i play multiple accounts and alt tab, i'm fine so long as my monitors are awake. The second the monitor goes to sleep, one of them gets this issue (whether its 2 or 3 instances running). Random on which account gets hit with it.

Like my characters are still logged in. They're still getting experience and buffs and able to die...I just cannot access the instance of EQ, and when clearing the Reset device () error, it treats it as a LD
    Ndaara likes this.
  20. Metanis Bad Company

It's too bad they don't sticky a "Known Issues" post in the Player Support area.

It's been known for years that Everquest will have these Reset Device errors whenever you have Sound turned on in-game and you have HMDI Audio Drivers enabled and your monitor goes to sleep.

It's not rocket science, EQ is an old game and when you suddenly disconnect hardware it's going to choke. You don't even need to be using HMDI Audio but if it's enabled and the monitor goes to sleep then EQ could hiccup.

The solution is to use the internal sound device in your PC and NOT even enable the HDMI Audio Device (or do not install the drivers for it!). Or you can disable monitor sleep mode when you're playing EQ. Or you can just turn off sound entirely in the game.