DirectX 11 API Port is on Test Server!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Lodestar The Undefeated

From Beta: For anyone running Windows 11 and windowed mode (for DX11), and for the devs to ensure they communicate this in an official communication:

To not incur poor refresh rate, hitching/stuttering, and mouse input lag, you will want to ensure that the flip presentation model is enabled. This significantly improves windowed mode performance in DX11.

In Windows 11 search for Graphics Settings -> (System -> Display -> Graphics) -> Change default graphics settings -> Optimizations for windowed games -> On.

Further, do not enable Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling. This will cause hard crashes for anyone who has a graphics card with ANY level of sensitivity from being overclocked or unstable. It will bring out any ounce of instability (which many users have known or unknown), resulting in crashes often.
    Fideles and Cairbrae like this.
  2. Lodestar The Undefeated

For the devs: I can confirm that there is significantly more memory-load framerate hitching occurring with DX11 on beta. As a prime example: Run through a Palatial Guild Hall with multiple user-dropped environmental items. As the game works to load these environmental items in, framerate will hitch (stutter) considerably more than on live currently. Even after environmentals are loaded in, if you run back to the other side of the guild hall they continue to have to re-load again. Running back and forth, end-to-end, causes continual reloading of all environmentals and continual hitching. Perhaps this could be a function of the beta server itself, but I doubt it. My assessment so far is that DX11 has resulted in a performance decrease--very hopeful this can be improved before it's released.

RTX 4090 OC'd to 3.1ghz, 7950X OC'd to 6ghz, DDR5-6000 OC'd CAS28, ASUS X670E Extreme, Crucial T700 4TB.
    Fanra and Hobs like this.
  3. Luinne B`Haen Lorekeeper

Experiencing this as well. Also issues shifting from windowed mode to full screen mode, the image remains darkened. it eventually resolves by going back and forth a couple more times. never was an issue prior to the DX upgrade
  4. Lodestar The Undefeated

~10/21 DX11 Beta Update Issues (Antialiasing and Framerates)

Over the weekend of 10/21 (around Saturday), a DX11 update was pushed to beta by the developers. I'm able to confirm issues with the DX11 push/update/changes, due to anti-aliasing overriding not working anymore (on Windows 10 and Windows 11), along with framerates on Windows 11 being significantly decreased in a legal boxing program.
    • Specifically, on the Nvidia RTX series (2000 and 4000), on Windows 10/11, full-screen antialiasing 2X to 8X is not able to be overridden anymore into Everquest beta (DX11). This was previously working. FXAA is able to be utilized, however it's garbage quality (blurring) on Everquest and not something anyone should be using. Specifically: Multisampling and supersampling, and standard antialiasing is now borked.
    • Framerates have also dropped to 40 or less on a legal program under Windows 11. It's unplayable. This is only an issue on EQ beta since the weekend of 10/21. I'm unable to confirm whether this is also an issue on Windows 10 or not; however it is an issue on Windows 11. This is on a RTX 4090 OC'd to 3.1ghz (normally runs 165fps).
    Something detrimental was changed over this particular weekend with graphics (I'm assuming DX11), and devs should revert or further investigate the changes that were made. Antialiasing being impacted is a clear indicator that other underlying technical elements of DX11 are also likely impacted (the symptoms are all there).
  5. Hobs Elder

If you want to raid on Test reach out to me or any Iron Bank of Bravos officer in game. We do retro open raids on Thursdays and ToV-ToL raids on Saturdays both days starting at 6:15 PM Central and you need to be 115+ for the Saturday raids because that content is 115+.
  6. Moege Augur

Which is ?
    If it modifies eq client its not legal. That includes ISB.
  7. Lodestar The Undefeated

Unnamed program does not modify any element of eqclient.ini or the game client itself, does not create disruption, and does not allow for any player automation. Creating a copy of the .ini with an alternate name does not count as .ini or game modification. Ultimately, Daybreak's P&L statement and cash flow is supported in the millions (yearly) as it pertains to this. Which means this has downstream impacts to the entire community if it's not addressed, like it or not.

Regardless, this is a DX11 ~10/21 update issue as their unfavorable push impacted anti-aliasing across the board, and is a precursor to future Live-game FPS issues and beta testing now if it's not fixed. Do not let this concern be derailed by certain topics that cannot be discussed on the forums. Further, they have a whole slew of DX11 implementation issues including memory load-in framerate hitching. There's general work that needs to be done, but especially a revising of this recent DX11 push over last weekend that broke anti-aliasing and FPS for many on beta. Anti-aliasing being broken is a clear indicator that implementation is not being done correctly--if it's broken, then any of us could put money on there being other technical issues as well.
    Metanis likes this.
  8. Warpeace Augur

Then why is that program so heavily used and nothing happening to those players?
  9. Lodestar The Undefeated

Let's keep the thread on point. Certain topics are not forum-accepted conversation. The issue here is in Daybreak/Developers seeing the post to fix their recent DX11 push, rather than posts being deleted and nothing being done.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

Instead of fighting him perhaps DBG could hire him and solve a lot of these issues? He certainly has a low-level understanding of graphics and coding.
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Tell me one more time just so I'll understand
    Are you sure Hank done it this way?
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Kinda silly, the elephant in the room being, they can't push it because it breaks scripting, but talking about that is against the rules. lol

Serious head in the sandism.

How will EQX deal with this? The same way?

I logged into Planetside 2 once. Some guy was hacked inside a wall where he could shoot but couldn't be shot. I uninstalled it within 30 minutes.

People won't EQX if it's like this.
  13. Lodestar The Undefeated

What breaks scripting by "pushing"?

The point is that whatever DX11/graphics update they pushed broke standard elements of a proper DX11 implementation. Anti-aliasing doesn't work for everyone, and FPS is unplayable for a considerable subset of players.

They either need to revert whatever they did, or fix it.

People aren't going to EQ or EQX if it continues in the direction of unplayability. I will never ask for anything fancy: I just want minimally acceptable playability to keep playing the same game without hitching, low FPS, and lack of standard DirectX features that have always existed since DirectX was first introduced (anti aliasing).
  14. phattoni Augur

im not complaining, but i have a question, is this going to be strictly directx 11? or will there be a toggle for dx 9 option as well?

currently my pen comptuers dont support dx 11 so i will lose 4 computers with this upgrade, this means that unless true box goes away i will be spending less money over time on the game, 1/5 of the money i currently spend.

so unless true box goes away, or you add a dx 9 toggle, i will lose 4/5 accounts. which is 1/5 the revenue you were getting from me previously, this HAS to hurt your business if a lot of people are in the same situation. at least with a dx 9 toggle or removal of true box completely from all future servers i would be able to continue subbing the way i want.

atm i can spend 400+$ to get new pen computers, but im not sure im interested in doing that just to box in everquest because of true box.
  15. Cairbrae Developer

Sorry, no. It's going to be DX11 only.
  16. phattoni Augur

thank you for the reply, with this on the table, and knowledge that this is going to affect revenue, is true box going to go away?
  17. Lodestar The Undefeated

Thanks for the response Cairbrae. I'm very hopeful you've been able to communicate the concerns posted here regarding the ~10/21 DX11 update to the dev team.

If DB/devs are able to do a successful DX11 implementation, with significant FPS/hitching improvements, then an argument could be made that it will help the subscriber base in the long run. Debatable sure.

But the critical point from this is: The forced DX11 implementation is going even further backwards, in being a further decrease in performance than the state it existed in a month ago. There is no good outcome from this until the latest impacts to performance are reverted, along with additional improvements that are still needed.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I just get a black screen when switching to full screen. Will try tabbing back and forth a few times to see if that fixes it. Really want to get some testing in and window mode annoys me so much I give up.
  19. Sturmlocke Apprentice

[IMG]

Hail and well met everyone,

just wanted to say that I really like Angeliana's initial post on the DirectX11 upgrade. Very informative indeed, thank you! The API change was long overdue imo, and it makes me happy to read that the powers that be will be focusing on new visual features / upgrades AND better performance AND new art accross the board. Not gonna lie, after the last EG7 presentation ppl started saying that EQ1/2 wouldn't be getting any type of visual upgrade, and that had me worried for a second, but to me that info always contradicted what EG7 said during that same event, namely that the EQ franchise is a top tier priority for them. So, seeing the new minimum requirements together with what Angel posted on page one gives me hope that we will in fact be seeing visual and art upgrades for EQ1 at least, and I can only hope to see the same for EQ2 as well. Both games could use a nice and welcomed facelift here and there, and I absolutely support this move after two decades of stable live service development. Major kudos for going through with this and the best of luck ironing out all the bugs, regressions and whatnot that are going to happen during its first transition phase. I'm sure the engineers will fix these things eventually, only to focus on further enhancing performance and visuals afterwards. First the initial port, then the fixing, optimizing and patching of regressions and bugs comes along, ultimately followed by major enhancements and tweaks to all areas in the end (last step).

That said, someone here mentioned ChromeOS: You can use Crossover for EQ on ChromeOS -> https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover#chromeos

The same goes for Mac and Linux btw, but I recommend just using Steam and Proton if you're on Linux, see here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/eq2-on-linux-and-mac-guide.604032/page-8

Or here for EQ1: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ubuntu-linux-22-04-guide.288229/#post-4191927

Posting this because we had this dicussion over at the EQ2 forums a few days ago (Win7 issues), and I have seen a number of ppl shift over to Linux recently, and they seem to be very happy about the upgrade resulting in improved framerates / performance, security, privacy, features and many other things. If you dislike modern Windows for any reason, something that I can completely and wholeheartedly agree with and understand, you do have a number of excellent and even superior options to choose from though. Let me know if ya'll need any help and I'll try to help out where I can. I'll be trying to do more video tutos for the ppl interested in migrating in the future (as time allows it), and I'll join the DX11 testing adventure asap!

@EQ engineers: Well done thus far and keep pushing forward! You guys got this!

Thanks ya'll and a merry Frostfell to everyone!