Alternate Persona

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FranktheBank, Oct 4, 2023.

1. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Personas as anyone with eyeballs can see, are clearly not implemented, making almost everything in this post wild conjecture. My feeling is that, like everything, it will massively appeal to some, have limited value to others, and no appeal to some players at all. Lets see how it goes before we lose our collective minds. At this point, everyone mostly has more questions then answers.
    Raptorjesus5, Gnomie and Metanis like this.
  2. Gnomie Denser than most

I agree with this, although I do wish Daybreak would give some information about it prior to trying to sell pre-orders for the expansion. They clearly have an idea in mind of what they want Personas to be, and giving us a brief summary would be appreciated. We don't know if this is going to be only for servers up to this expansion, or for all servers (including TLPs), or any details.

It just seems good taste to actually give information about a product prior to selling it.
    Moege and Kosha like this.
  3. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

I think they intend to, but if i had to wager a guess i'd say they are in the "trying like crazy to get it ready for implementation phase" which means there could be a major difference in intention and/or plans, and what may actually end up happening, and they don't want to promise something they can't or wont end up delivering. and lets face it, if they give us a crumb we are all quite capable of turning it into a 5 layer cake. ;)

i know its hard to be patient :)

* these opinions are my own and nothing more.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Gnomie Denser than most

Oh i definitely agree with you. I've already pre-ordered (mostly for the illusions, since I'm still on a TLP server), but I must say the persona thing does intrigue me. As someone who has a ton of alts, and has swapped main characters about 5 times through the lifespan of the server, this is potentially a huge deal for me.

While I do agree and understand why they don't give a lot of specific details, I think they could realistically give us more than the repeated one line of "Play as other classes while retaining your name, inventory, bank, achievements, and more!"

I think a lot of it is the potential impatience and excitement, like a child waiting to see what is in their stocking for Christmas.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The original idea was made by two people.
    One of those people pitched it to the team.
    It was agreed to by the team.
    Someone was assigned to plan it, and did so with input from others.
    That person was also assigned to be the primarily implementer.
    That person is no longer at the company.
    Others are implementing it and making whatever adjustments to the plan are needed.

Most projects work like this. No one person does everything by themselves, generally.
  6. demi Augur

Ive only read the first few pages so far, but this is how I interpret persona's ..

depending on which expansion you buy you get a certain amount of persona slots .. for example
    basic - 3 persona's | collector's - 5 | premium - 7 .. F&F same 7 or 7 additional ?

this is how im hoping it works .. i box 6 accounts and I have my 7th account with lets say 4 buff classes say ranger, bst, ench and cleric ..

now my 6 box team needs buffs i have my 7th up and i can switch between those 4 buff classes and buff my team more easily .. rather than having to log in and out every time i just go to the persona's tab and switch in game to each class ... ? at least thats how i hope it will go ..
  7. Iuwene Augur

8. Sissruukk Rogue One

9. uberkingkong Augur

Half broken because new expectations.

How did we get to race changes?
    How did we get to any class?

Community pushing game breaking original vision ideas upon them.

They have to work on code that specifically says
    Ogre is these specific classes.
    and change it without breaking everything else
    Ogre can be any class

They did not say in the announce notes,
    personas = free race change
    personas = any class

Ogre doesn't have any cloth armor visibles.
    Erudite doesn't have chain or leather armor visibles.

Is there new armor cosmetics in the game upcoming expansion? Every other MMORPG there is.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, when some races can only be 5 different classes and others can be up to 13 with no race there is no logic in limiting it to your race. It gets even more complicated once you factor in race changes that would leave a player with invalid personas if they change to a race that doesn't support that class.

Overall it makes much more sense as a source of income to have the player pick the race/combination so that they can pick all 16 classes. If you have to make alts for other classes are you really going to spend money on a persona slot on an alt instead of rolling another alt as that class?
  11. Cicelee Augur

Admist all of this uncertainty, one thing is for certain-

We are going to be disappointed and unhappy with the implementation/execution of alternate personas because it is not going to be what we hoped it would be.

Hope to be proven wrong, but if I was a betting man in Vegas...
    Metanis, MasterMagnus and Moege like this.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Good to know, thanks for that. Sounds similar to years ago when I was a developer. But I would have been required to make a design document before pitching an idea. And the document holds important information if anything were to happen to me. They don't appear to do design documents at all.

And what I'm saying remains the same, based on that information.

There was never any more development done, or institutional knowledge was lost, when 1 week ago Klanderso was saying "I have no idea how it will work."

Has she fully wrapped her head around the design and approach to use in a week? Let's hope so.

All I'm saying, and thankfully some others have gotten the hint, AP is not ready for prime time, keep your expectations low. Theory crafting ideas of merging alts is far far premature.
  13. Knifen Augur

14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You can't pick the race of the persona? Or are you saying that obviously you should be able to pick you race? I think the second but just confirming.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am saying that when you create a persona it will be like creating a new character where you pick a race, class, deity and put your stat points in. This way you are not limited by what your race or deity can chose for a class. As some races are limited to 5 classes and that is even more restricted by deity the system wouldn't prove a lot of value to those players otherwise.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ahhh yeah that is what I thought you meant. Thanks.
  17. Bernel Augur

Right now it seems like it just has classes. The Persona tab just shows Class/Level and the button says "Create Class".

A simple way to deal with the race issues is to just ignore race when in Persona mode. If an item is DRU/HUM, the HUM part is ignored. If there's not a visual representation, then the person is naked in that slot. For instance, if a Troll switches to a DRU persona, they can equip anything that has DRU as the class. The race field is ignored. But if the item doesn't have a visual representation for TRL, then they would appear naked in that slot. So a Troll in a DRU persona could equip a DRU/HUM tunic, but they would appear to be naked in the chest slot. Ornaments could still work as normal. Even if the tunic's model can't be shown on a Troll, the tunic could have an ornament which would show up. Or alternatively, the visual representation can default to whatever the main character has in that slot. So if a Troll equips a HUM tunic, the visual representation of their chest is whatever their main character is wearing in the chest slot.

Or maybe the Persona always looks like whatever the main looks like. No matter what items the Persona has in the armor and weapon slots, they always look like whatever the main looks like. One thing I would like about maintaining the main's look is that a a character would always look the same no matter their Persona. "Soandso" always looks like "Soandso" no matter if they are their normal class or they are doing a little moonlighting as a different class.
  18. Iven the Lunatic

This is going to get interesting.

Ogre monks ftw !
    Lujack Dhrakoth likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure it just says create class, but that button doesn't show the entire process that is involved in creating that class. Why would they need to have a button on the screen to indicate race when it is going to be treated like creating a new character and you will be taken to a screen to choose your race, class and deity?
  20. Bernel Augur

In that case, I would think it would say something more general like "Persona" rather than class. And the list entries on the Persona tab are just class names. And even the promo description is just about class swapping:

Alternate Personas - Swap between different classes quicker without needing to go by another name! With Alternate Personas, you can swap to another class while retaining your name, inventory / bank, crafting skills, keying and much more!

So it seems like it's going to be just about a different class rather than anything else.

Based on what people are saying about the development situation, I think this is going to have be something very simple. There's just not enough time to get something very complex created. I'm guessing it's going to be something much closer to "Your main with some abilities of a different class" rather than "A character which is essentially an alt".
    Barton likes this.