Ji Ham announces EverQuest 3

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by jeskola, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Pointing out that there are more choices out there then Unreal and Unity and that we are not the one to make the choices isn't bashing Unreal or Unity. There is more to choosing a graphics engine then the fee choice for using it
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Can you provide some examples?
  3. Slasher Augur

Which is where this argument started with someone saying UE would be cheaper to use and me pointing out it would not be cheaper. Why would they use anything but forgelight. Why pay a 3rd party license fee for one and still have to spend money updating it to fit your needs?
    Waring_McMarrin and Nennius like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why is it my job to provide examples? It isn't our job to suggest or chose the graphics engine for the next Everquest project and the people doing it will have a lot more data around choosing it then we will. All I did was point out some issues with the claims that Unreal is the best choice.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

You keep asking for examples, but then when asked for example you rant about how it’s not your job. It’s a low-effort contrarian style of posting. Again, what’s the point of refuting claims about Unreal, when it isn’t our job? Either put up some examples of engines and engage in a discussion or relax on the contrarianism.
  6. Slasher Augur

Forgelight is the most obvious answer since its been used for PS2 which puts hundreds of players in the same area and they have used it for games as recently as 2019. You would also assume it should be cheaper to update/maintain when you consider licensing fees for UE plus the cost to update/change it to fit your needs etc. Also if they're serious about releasing other games it would make sense to continue to use something the company already spent millions making. I will say if they intend to release these games on consoles also UE might be the preferred choice I have no idea how optimized FL is for consoles.

If not forgelight id prefer UE the rest of them are not really a choice. We seen how bad ones like hero, gamebryo , cry engines were for MMOs please stay away from them.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And an example of a game that has yet to be released or an example of a game that people play with lower numbers isn't going to show that Unreal will work for an MMO with larger numbers of players in a single place.

I have not been saying that Unreal won't work, just that what is being shown doesn't show that it will work.

As others have said Daybreak has their own in game graphics engine that they have been using for games which makes it a good possible choice.
  8. CdeezNotes Augur

And to use your logic against you, Forgelight has not supported any MMORPG. How do we know it can/will? I'll put my money on Engines that are more well-known, universally accepted as top class engines vs some proprietary engine created by DPG. I mean this company struggles with basic lag, rendering, server instability issues, you want to trust their graphics engine blindly?
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I didn't say that it should be used for an MMO or that Unreal shouldn't be used for an MMO.
  10. Riou EQResource

Believe Planetside 2 is also on PS4, dunno how well it performed there though, don't remember hearing anything like bad about it
  11. Slasher Augur

Because its already been used for a MMOFPS if you consider PS2 one and performs well with hundreds of players in the same area oh and it was actually designed for an MMO from the start.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  12. Strawberry Augur

Because you are the one who has been claiming for multiple pages now that Unreal is not suited for MMO and there are better alternatives on the market.

You made all these claims of alternative engines that are better suited than Unreal. No one else. So you need to provide an example when asked.

you:
    You have been claiming this for multiple pages.

So name a market alternative.

I don't expect an actual answer.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, I have been saying that the examples given do not show that it will work with a MMO and pointing out that there are other options besides Unreal doesn't mean I am saying Unreal can't be used. You shouldn't be focused on a single graphics engine where there are multiple choices and Daybreak owns and uses one of them.
  14. Strawberry Augur

lolol, I knew you would never answer the question

We asked for an example. You said there are "market (engine) options better suited for MMO". You insinuated there are several.

You have no issues asking others for examples and love to critque every facet of them.

But when you yourself are asked for an example to back up all the arguments you keep making, you go:

BuT iT'S nOt mY JoB tO ProviDe ExAmPles !!11
  15. Riou EQResource

People forget that Daybreak Games biggest MMO runs on Unreal Engine 3, that should already have a bunch of PVE/PVP and etc tools already built for an mmo (unless the tools are bad, but only the people working on it would know)
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are the one calming Unreal would be such a great engine and providing examples before I asked. I am simply stating that the examples provided are bad and that Unreal isn't the only option.
  17. Strawberry Augur

Unreal Engine has issues.

-Shader compilation issues is one.
    -The use of C/C++ is arguably another (unlike Unity's C# which is memory safe).
    -It lacks quick prototyping tools.

But there's really no good alternative to Unreal Engine for a big 3D MMO. Unless you somehow make your own engine, which only makes economic sense if you are a big developer like Ubisoft, EA, or a specialized developer like Asobo Studio. Ubisoft can pour millions into a custom engine, and still earn back the cost because of all the projects they release and the number of sales they generate. Not having to share revenue with Epic (Unreal Engine) makes up for it.

But for smaller developers developing your own engine makes no economic sense. I can't see Daybreak developing their own engine in 2023, it makes absolutely no sense. You would be immediately in the red and there's no certainty you would ever earn back that cost.

There is Unity, but Unity is getting a lot of flack because they keep changing their revenue scheme.

There is the open source Godot Engine, which doesn't have the right tools to make an MMO imo. It is also really difficult to port games accross multiple API with Godot. If you only want to make a PC game it works, if you want to port it to MAC or Consoles, suddenly there is 0 support. With Unreal Engine you can port to any platform, it is quite platform agnostic.
  18. ttobey Developer

Are you guys going to argue about Unreal for the next 5 year?
  19. minimind The Village Idiot

Is that a challenge, sir?

You hear that, everyone? The devs don't think we can argue pointlessly on the forums for years!

We'll show them!
  20. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

What does it even matter? The game isn't going to launch. I guess it's good practice for you guys though, for however long it takes before it's scrapped like the last ones.
    ttobey likes this.