Ji Ham announces EverQuest 3

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by jeskola, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Even if Unreal is the best graphics engine choice for the Everquest project that is in the works doesn't mean they won't have valid reasons to use a different product.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. Slasher Augur

Do you know that your avg EQ raid with 54 players is actually loading over 100 + NPC/PCs ? Add on the event scripts and the communication between server/client for all players in the zone and that is where the lag is from. Its not the rendering of players and graphics that will cause lag its the backend of your game engine and event scripts for them raids doing it.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Numiko Augur

True but EQ is running on an engine that was designed in 1998, I think any modern game engine will handle things better.

Personally I don't care what engine they pick, heck they can use the EQnext engine for all I care, I was just annoyed at how warring kept bashing Unreal saying it was no good for an mmo type game even after multiple people pointed out numerous MMO's using it.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I don't think that the engine that EQ is running is being considered for the next Everquest project. I am not bashing Unreal, just asking for some examples that show it running with lots of avatars at once with no lag. What I have seen for the most part are unreleased games or examples with small numbers of avatars that don't show it preforming well at scale.

I have said nothing about it being a good or bad graphics engine, just questioning if it would really work for an MMO.
  5. Strawberry Augur

Ridiculous. Stop making up stuff.

Run a packet sniffer when playing EQ, it will show you EQ barely sends a few kilobytes of data every second.

I hosted a UT99 server two decades ago, on my own PC with an Athlon 64, slower than today's toasters, 1GB of RAM. 32 players without a problem.

This idea that today's servers designed to handle terabytes of data, would struggle with a few kilobyte of data coming in from 54 players is complete baloney.

We are at a point where streaming services can stream 4k data to millions of customers at once. Personal computers can simultaneously play games, stream gaming footage and a webcam feed to Twitch, all at once. Online multiplayer games are everywhere, on PC, console and mobile.

But you think a server handling a few microscopically small packets of positioning and spell data from 54 players is somehow the issue. It is utterly meaningless to do it.
    Badchanter likes this.
  6. Slasher Augur

The size of the data means nothing don't you understand how workloads work ? Sending x amount of data with 1 user is simple. You should just stop because you obviously do not understand how the backend of these games even work.

You simply cannot show an MMORPG using UE4 or 5 with 100 + players in the same area without performance issues.
  7. Warpeace Augur

Yet here we are with the poor experience / performance Everquest routinely produces in this very context.
  8. Slasher Augur

Hey now a few packets here and there aint causing EQs raid lag lol
    Badchanter likes this.
  9. Strawberry Augur

Tera Online uses Unreal Engine 3.

A 19-year-old engine.

It has no issues showing hundreds of players.

Stop with your baloney that games, or unreal engine, can't handle showing 100 players at once. It's utter 100% bs. It has been able to do this for literally decades.

Why would all these developers choose Unreal Engine for MMO if it couldn't handle showing many players. Stop trying to maintain an argument you have clearly lost.

Tera Oline, MMO, Unreal Engine 3:

[IMG]
  10. jeskola pheerie

CD Projekt RED just announced they are abandoning their REDengine for UE5 going forward. We can probably assume Forgelight is done?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I disagree with you on the claims of no lag in that video as I saw laggy graphics as well as graphics not displaying correctly at the start of it.
  12. Strawberry Augur

Oh shut up, seriously, there is no lag in the video

here is Lineage 2 on Unreal Engine 2.5, with hundreds of players

you going to claim this has lag too?

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Badchanter likes this.
  13. Hdizzle Augur

Yeah but none of those players are standing still afk : /

Sorry, example not apples to apples enough.
  14. Riou EQResource

No

They are ditching REDengine cause it was the root cause of Cyberpunk being a mess coming off Witcher 3 (which iirc they also talked about being a pain to use for)

Would probably depend on how the PVE content tools are for it if it would be considered, if it is viable it would be cheaper then licensing a 3rd party engine, especially when eq3 has a small budget
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I disagree, when you originally linked that video I saw avatars freezing in frames and jumping around which is c clear sign of lag.
  16. Strawberry Augur

the argument went from
    -no MMO use Unreal engine

to
    -only unreleased MMO use Unreal Engine

to
    -only console games use Unreal Engine

to
    -Unreal Engine can't show enough players for an MMO

to now
    -I noticed players jumping around, a clear sign of lag

[IMG]
    KushallaFV likes this.
  17. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

You’re talking to a wall. Even if WoW was on UE, he’d still be doing the same replies and especially true for any Eastern MMOs.

Unity shot itself in the foot, and UE is connected to the money printer that is Fortnite. The only hold back would be the fee structure behind Unreal, but Unreal clear choice all day, every day.
    Strawberry likes this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I never made the argument that no MMO uses Unreal. All I did was point out that using unreleased games to claim that something is being used is bad. I am also making the claim that a console MMO is different then a PC only MMO in what is expected.

And yes, when you post a video to try and counter the claims of bad performance of an engine in an MMO don't be surprised if people notice graphics freezing up and jumping around that they point it out.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are more choices out there then Unity and Unreal and I am just pointing out issues with the claims that are trying to prove that Unreal is the best choice out there.
  20. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest