Ji Ham announces EverQuest 3

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by jeskola, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Numiko Augur

Just wanted to point out that Lineage 2 has been using Unreal engine since 2003, version 2 or 2.5 I think and it handles massive castle siege battles quite will with 100+ characters on the screen.
  2. Strawberry Augur

For a regular developer, developing a game engine would be like a writer making their own word processor each time they need to write a book. Or a photographer developing their own version of Photoshop/Lightroom. It makes no sense.

There used to be an active Demoscene, which is where you made a graphical demo under a certain size. I developed a small demo for a contest in the 90s, which required making a basic OpenGL renderer. I spent 4 months on this, and many nights reading Foley and Van Dam, the premier 3d graphics resource back then. It took me weeks just to output a basic 3D object. This would today take 2 seconds in Unreal Engine. You need to be an expert in vector operations in 3D to write a custom engine, you need to be a math wizard PhD in Linear Algebra, which I'm not.

The few companies still making their own custom advanced 3D engines have some kind of real incentive to do this.

Asobo does it because they are not just a game company, but a company with graphics solutions.

Ubisoft actually explained why they use their custom Snowdrop and Anvil engines. Their goal has been to maximize profit margins, off-the-shelve engines would cut into that margin.

Square Enix has their Luminous Engine, but higher-ups actually told their developers they want to switch to Unreal Engine.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Why continue to make post after post about things that don't matter?
    Look at this you keep going and going, as if you're making decisions.

Skuz, kizant and Nennius like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why are you so worried about what game engine they will choose in when they start development in 2025? Why are you so reluctant to actually post links to the game you are talking about and only post pictures? Why do you keep using console games for your examples?

Just because a game says it is a MMO doesn't mean it actually has large numbers of players that gather in a single spot which is what the concerns are.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why? Are you suggesting that Unreal is the only graphics engine on the market? Just because you think it is the only choice doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you.

Personally I think we should leave this up to the team that will be working on the game and not try to force our opinions on them.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If we have examples of this makes me wonder why so many where given for games in development or console based games.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why did you make this post that doesn't matter? People are free to make whatever posts they want and I feel like responding to the posts making claims that Unreal is the best engine for a MMO using bad examples.
  8. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Except you posted this to to shut down a conversation:

So, when do you take your own advice and stop requesting lists of games or engines as if you were making any decisions?
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Here is a decent example of how UE 5.3 can offer high levels of detail while still maintaining high performance.
  10. Strawberry Augur

Console games? Do you have some cognitive issues or something?

Both Blade & Soul and Tera released on PC, I played both on...a PC.

Under publisher it literally says "Microsoft Windows". It says so on the damn picture you replied to.
  11. DeadRagarr Augur

Ashes is gonna be LIT. I can't wait to watch my grand kids play it!
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  12. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I don’t think that guy is going to acknowledge anything other than Western MMOs.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

EQ is a fantasy world with a little connection with the real world. ForumQuest has a greater connection to the real world (Extra Life, Billing issues,etc.) but it still operates at least in part in the world of fantasy. Does anyone here really think that all of the eventual miles of verbiage about game engines will actually have any influence on what Daybreak does, or doesn't, choose to use? It is fun, but it is just that and no more.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

To underline this point, we're talking about a new EverQuest game. I feel Darkpaw and Daybreak have even less say that they may otherwise with existing titles due to the fact this all needs to be approved by EG7's board and major shareholders.
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  15. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Yes, I absolutely agree. That's why I pointed out that his post was pointless, while he ignores his own words and continues to go on and on.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Slasher Augur

Actually I said its a bad choice because I have yet to see an MMORPG use UE without performance issues when you get hundreds of players in the same area. I've brought up other games that tried to do this with a single player engine and failed.

In fact my entire argument is using UE doesn't mean it would be cheaper to develop an MMORPG at all because you will spend years and possibly millions redesigning it to work for your intended purpose because UE was not designed for MMOs from the ground up. So yes UE can work for an MMO but no you have not shown one MMORPG used for UE that does not suffer from the issues i brought up including Ashes of Creation if you have played the alpha you would know it suffers from the same issues.
  17. Slasher Augur

After 5-10 years all the modifications you would make to UE it is essentially your own engine. Do you think epic comes in and does it all for you ? You get the source and anything you want done is on you. You will spend millions either way so why not just maintain your own engine that you already spent millions developing and you're already using for your other games ?
  18. jeskola pheerie

Yes but former DBG execs are in charge of EG7 now. Epstein is now Chairman of the Board for EG7 and Ham is a board member. All but two board members were appointed in 2023.
  19. Numiko Augur

They could always go for Unity! .. oh wait :oops:

Havok is still around too you know, Second Life uses it still and they can have up to 180 avatars on one sim (think zone).
    KushallaFV likes this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Asking for games that have been released and using the technology is trying to shut down the conversation? Asking for games that would actually have areas with comparable numbers of players in the same area is trying to shut down the conversation?

I keep seeing claims that Unreal would be perfect for Everquest and we even have a red name questioning that statement which the people asking for it seem to ignore.