Favorite TLP to date?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Enki117, Aug 9, 2023.

1. Kraked Augur

Uhh, that is not why Vanguard failed but okay!
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

The same argument could be made for the community demanding to drastically change the game a massive amount of players are happy with. For a lot of people (myself included), x5 loot/xp is not enticing, and would just expedite people to max level and quitting the game.
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. Sanduleak Journeyman

My first progression servers were the original prog servers: The Combine and The Sleeper. And they were so much fun! Back then, you still had the original zones, so many more players, no Krono trading, and so on. It was an amazing time to be playing EverQuest, but it brought a lot of us back to the start of the game again, the original characters, and so on.

Today the game feels different, even on modern TLPs. You get these hints of what EQ used to be like, a taste of the magic that used to be all over the game. But there is just too much that sours the taste after awhile.

Example: Last year on Yelinak, we had a guildmate who just went into some blue mermaid form all the time. Another that had a weird in game companion. People drinking pots constantly -- making you feel like you had to buy them too, just to keep up with your friends.

That's so unlike how the first prog servers felt back in the day. The Combine and The Sleeper gave the same feelings I had when I was a kid, playing EQ for the first time back in 1999-2001. Yelinak was just a cheap substitute.
    Aenvar and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  4. Chopsuey Augur

Nostalgia is cool and all, but try making some new memories. Lots of good EQ content after PoP.

My favorites. #1 Mischief #2 Phinigel #3 Selo. The rest have been phinny clones or just bad rulesets like miragul or oakwynd. I kinda wish I gave Vaniki more of a try though.
    Skuz, Appren, Zrender and 1 other person like this.
  5. 6502 Lorekeeper

In retrospect I kind of wish I went Selo instead of Mangler back when they launched. Wasn't aware of how long of a multi-year time investment I was getting myself into at the time. Although that said, Mangler has been great.
  6. KobalWR Lorekeeper

Favorite TLP was by far Phinigel. It was the first TLP server I played on and my first time on EQ since 2004. Nothing beats nostalgia.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Blastoff Augur

Mischief all day... being able to take a break and get your toon raid ready easily after is so nice.
    Appren and Enki117 like this.
  8. Typhus Elder

Well this is because Gheed is well known RMTer, he does not like when he cannot corner the market and sell raid loot rights for high krono prices. Any ruleset that allows players to aquire loot for cheap will always be hated by Gheed.
  9. Trevalon Augur

Mischief is by far and above the best server they have ever done.

Being able to gear your main out and alts most expansions makes doing outside raid content exponentially more fun and enjoyable. Its pretty evident by its population that the vast majority of the TLP crowd agrees with this sentiment.

The funny thing is, Oakwind will eventually be better than Mischief as far as all the "perks" go. They will get double loot, double exp, double aa exp, triple faction...all these are awesome and once Oak hits expansions like SoD and HoT it will be a super awesome server. Too bad it takes that long to get there.

I hope the 25th anniversary server is just a "throw everything at the wall and have an insane pinata server". Were talking extra loot, Free trade, double all EXP rates, 8 week unlock expansions...Just a huge crazy server with tons of fast paced perks. I think it would do very well
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  10. Dre. Altoholic

I must say I particularly enjoyed the low level LDoN/LFG experience during early Vaniki.

Unfortunately the points per complete were so low, and level caps meant that 99% of the Adventure Merchants' loot was pointless/unachievable.

Still, it was a hoot rolling for level 20 gear that most of us were unfamiliar with.
    Skuz, Enki117, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  11. Muramx Augur

I loved Mischief but the 2nd guild I went to (one of the big ones) left a bad taste in my mouth with how crappy they were as people. Real life kicked in and I couldn't find a guild to raid with when I was on. Everyone was too early or too late. And I wasn't about to set up 6 computers so I could accomplish things or spend $$$ on Krono to stay relevant.

I like the challenges on Vaniki, but the server is pretty quiet. Like the guild I am in now I think most people hop on to do the achievements then don't come back until the next set open up or the want to do it for another claimable on another char.

Oakwynd, the FTE doesn't really affect anything right now, that or people know it's there so they kind of back down a bit. I bet when the next TLP comes out it will kill the server.

I have hopes Daybreak will remove their heads from their behinds and the next TLP will be amazing.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Tachyon Augur

combine, no limits!
  13. Chuuk Augur

Ragefire, easy.

The pre-instancing game was way more fun, IMO. Racing to raid mobs, having to actually try and find exp somewhere other than Unrest / Guk / Velks.

The post-instancing game is just a loot piñata party and robotic raiding.
    Lawyer likes this.
  14. Bullsnooze Augur

I've played on quite a few but the crown goes to Phinigel as it was the most memorable for me. Honorable mention goes to Aradune.

Personally, I hope they don't make another Mischief, but follow Oakwynd's evolving ruleset when FTE is perfected..
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Xerzist Augur

They make single players game y'know.
  16. Kraked Augur

Oh really?
    I have never heard of those pesky games....
  17. Xerzist Augur

I kid of course, but really to hold true to what Everquest delivered back in the day - the experience, relationships gained, people met - they need to cater to the boxing crowds less. I understand the benefit of course to individual players, but it ruins immersion. However, that would be a thought regarding a game that's thinking towards the future -- and I think that ship sailed. It's more like a ship slowly sinking and they are just bailing water over the edge so enticing boxers to enlist multiple accounts seems to be the design.
    Dre. likes this.
  18. Fhiele Augur

Agnarr obviously.
  19. Cronar Elder

I discovered Vaniki late, and am completely happy with it. Challenges aside, this server alone gives the perpetually forever soloer a chance at doing SO much content that in other servers they would never have a chance at.
    I have made 98 characters on it, and am dedicating three categories for my toons.
    -Old school, where they gear up as they go
    -defiant, gear up with whatever defiant i can find
    -high end, where i drop some plat on some of the best gear money can buy

I am taking different characters out to do ALL of the zones and dungeons at my own pace, and am seeing all of the sights and doing all of the stuff and things.

The only drawback to vaniki are a very vocal minority of the original server inhabitants who treat new people like the plague, and they have titled them "tourists".
    These same people get crabby when folks ask questions, and it just seems like they are trying to keep the server a ghost town.

But there are a lot of great people who are willing to answer questions, help folks with gear and organize pickup challenge raids.

The best part is there is no spam from the krono lords selling power leveling and constant buy and sell shouts for krono.

Leveling is simply stress free, and in my opinion much quicker than even the live servers, at least for the average soloer.

The only thing that would make vaniki better would be the oakwynd heirloom tag for no drop items.
    Skuz, Enki117, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  20. Chopsuey Augur

I think a lot of the rerollers just want a time stopped server. No progression necessary.