Graphics like these - Possible soon?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Aug 18, 2023.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

So looking at the latest news item for Echoes of Kunark Collection Edition expansion items for sale, they display an image of the game. The texture quality and likely the poly count is obviously much more refined that we see in-game.

I play at 4k, and honestly the game looks very good for its age.

But I wonder how much work it would take to bring higher resolution textures like the ones from the image to reality in-game. My guess is the image was pulled from the very models and textures they use to generate in-game textures. But something makes downscaling the textures necessary.

How close are we to textures/graphics like these? :)
    [IMG]
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

Whoa now, one thing at a time. Let's fix the UI first...
    Skuz, Yinla and Nennius like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Who knows what the direct x 11 conversion will bring to the game graphics wise.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

And then the long promised pally upgrades.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Metanis like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

And class balance!
    Sancus, Metanis and Nennius like this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Sorry graphics dont make a better game or i might have tried eq 2. One of my favorite games of all times lacks graphics basically but hella fun to play c64 MULE.
    Wdor, Metanis, Mikana and 1 other person like this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Zork FTW
    Wdor, Fenthen, Mikana and 1 other person like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They might not make a game better but they can and do help people enjoy a game more. On the flip side bad graphics can make a good game worse or less enjoyable.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  9. code-zero Augur

I will say this, if graphics like that become available there's going to be a lot of people who won't have that excuse for not trying EQ
    Wdor, Mahlhavoc, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Not saying great graphics make the game better, but they'd sure help make it look better. :)
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

I am wondering if I could get a personal graphics upgrade. Feeling a bit old. But hey, we dwarves love wrinkles. Now, where's me ale!
    Rijacki, Iven and I_Love_My_Bandwidth like this.
  12. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Since the UI and 3d viewport are on separate layers, they can be improved independently. I would even say that they are different jobs that should be done by different people anyway.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

Those are the actual 3D NPC models but the 2D image got enhanced with photoshop. Your graphic card and the game settings do also influence the quality.

The memory mode does also affect the graphic quality. Use Most memory usage for the best graphic results. Your can modify Memory.ini for even better results.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  14. Mikana Augur

Ship-to-ship combat!
  15. Theka Elder

id like to know more about those settings in memory.ini
    MaxHighQualityTextureMem=100 is this a %?
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Iven likes this.
  17. Iven the Lunatic

Yes, I think so. There is a legend at the top of the file but it does not reveal much informations.
  18. Iven the Lunatic

Not bad, but does only affect the classic graphics up to TSoV. Very crisp graphics with a 4x higher resolution but also a bit unfamiliar. I think that I will keep it. The eyes are overattuned sometimes. To big and to much color saturation and sometimes they picked a similar but the wrong color it seems.
  19. 6502 Lorekeeper

They're not going to go back and retroactively add HD textures for old content, that'd be a monumental effort given the amount of assets in the game for miniscule return. They probably don't even have the original files that the low res textures were generated from for the earlier expansions.

The easiest way to improve the game's visuals at a global level would be by adding a halfway decent lighting/shadows system to the engine. The game would immediately look 10x better without having to touch any of the content itself. Improving performance would also go a long way since fps contributes to presentation, everything looks nice if it's running smoothly at 120+ fps. Despite the graphics, framerates in EQ spike all over the place in a raid setting regardless of how overkill your rig is.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Visable capes!
    Nennius likes this.