Best time for EQ3 is now

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Jul 23, 2023.

1. uberkingkong Augur

Right now is the best time to start the talks of making EQ3.
    1. 4K is about mainstream now, computers can run video games with ease using 4K.
    2. Popularity of AI
    3. Social shifts, games back in 2000s are completely different vibe then 2020s
    4. Video game creation, Unreal Engine 5 released last year, 2022.
    Unreal Engine 5 has many benefits, it allows developers to import a wide variety of assets from photogrammetry scans to 3D models, without having to worry about polygon count, modularity, base level of visual quality, and the ease of access of integrating AI,

5. Many other games are relaunching the next generation of their brand video game.
    Ex. Diablo 4, Elder Scrolls 6, GTA 6, there is talks of GW3 in the works with Unreal 5 engine.

EQ they need to be in the loop, be in the competion. Other games are making new versions a reason, data shows right now is a great time to make a new sequel.
    EQ needs to get hustling, start thinking of EQ3 its time, the best time is now.

Step up, quit living in the past, time to look into the future, the best time is now to make EQ3.
    Brontus, Fenthen and Metanis like this.
  2. Brickhaus Augur

The best time for EQ3 is never. Stop bringing this up every week.

There are a not insignificant number of us who are going to leave gaming (at least complex gaming) if EQ ends. They can either keep taking our money or decide to chase fickle younger folks. But they don't get to do both, unless someone finds a corporate sugar daddy.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

I agree with your post almost completely. The reality is that unless they could convince an Elon Musk level investor the money isn't going to be there.
  4. Riou EQResource

4k isn't mainstream on PC and it is a waste of rendering power

AI hasn't gone anywhere in Video Games and there is growing backlash against things using it in general

The only social shift is that the pure mmo genre lost half of its population since like 2010ish

Unreal Engine is kind of bad being a big contributor to unplayable games via shader compilation stutter

Half of the games you listed in "relaunching" section wont even be out for at least like 5 years

Unless an EQ3 can be revolutionary it will probably be a flop like EQ2 was
    Paladin, Dre., Scornfire and 8 others like this.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

Why does it have to be an EQ brand? Id guess most people dont even read the lore so whats the diff if its a completely different world?
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually the best time for an EQ3 is long past is my guess. I mean sure if they want to make another game and use EQs lore thats fine but it won't be EQ. The current playerbase even on Live servers is mostly a group of people who only want to play EQ not some successor to EQ. Most of the folks willing to jump into a new game even if its conncted to EQ have all gone and done that by now. What we are left with a core that mostly wants to play EQ so there isn't really a built in audience for a new game. That's just my opinion though.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Metanis like this.
  7. Windance Augur

I doubt it would draw many "new" players. Instead it would dilute the EQ1 and EQ2 player base.

I for one am not interested in jumping ship.
    Paladin likes this.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Any EQ3 now, is destined to fail, just as EQNext was always doomed to fail.
    Paladin likes this.
  9. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

The chances of me playing another MMO after EQ finally dies is slim. The chances of me playing anything else, but Elder Scroll III is also slim.
    DaciksBB likes this.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

EQ3 is a huge gamble. The MMO train is slowing. Many gamers are opting for the quick, small-scale matches they don't have to invest significant amounts of time in to feel successful.

The days of complex MMOs are coming to an end. So with it, EverQuest.
  11. error Augur

Does DBG even make games or just maintain them? I'm not really seeing anything on their wikipedia page that looks like a new title developed entirely post-buyout. There's a big difference between creating content for existing games and creating a new game from scratch.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Brontus EQ Player Activist

There is no doubt that EQ 3 is coming. Darkpaw was created for that reason.That said, I don't think EQ 1 and EQ 2 will be going away anytime soon. But you can be sure they believe that existing EQ 1 and EQ 2 players will eventually migrate to the new EQ.

Enad Global 7 has deep pockets. They're not going to announce a new EQ without committing appropriate funding to the project. The eyes of the gaming world will be on EG7 and Darkpaw once this is announced, so you can be sure they will be on their best behavior and start behaving like a modern AAA MMO studio.

Once it is announced a new community will coalesce around it. It will be a mix of new, old and current players. I'm looking forward to the new forums mainly because it will be full of enthusiast people who have been away for 20 years or since WoW was released in 2004, who remember the initial magic of Norrath and the amazing community that emerged to support it.

All the changes and refinements that existing players have desired for many years, will at least have a chance at being manifested in a new incarnation of EQ. We'll also have a new breed of outgoing developers who are open to engaging the community and pushing the envelope to create a unique and compelling player experience.
    jeskola likes this.
  13. jeskola pheerie

I'm going to go ahead and say the number is more likely to be insignificant.

You don't need Elon Musk money to make a video game.... also Ji Ham is on the Board now which is new, and EG7 has been doing very well.

Its OK, you can make EQ3resource.com. geez....

Well said, perfect reason to make EQ3. Keep all the current players and regain all the folks who jumped into a new game, and maybe some who jumped into other games inspired by EQ that became huge.
    Everyone here seems to say they are also not jumping ship, so where's the dilution?

Thanks Nostradamus

EQ3 doesn't need to be EQ1 or Pantheon. It can incorporate ways to engage modern gamers.

tons of new job openings on their website. enough San Diego opening for a new game. Careers at Daybreak | Daybreak Game Company (daybreakgames.com)
    Lineater likes this.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You're welcome, Mr. Ostrich.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. error Augur

I don't know, most of those positions listed on their site state a specific game or studio they'll be working for, and most of them aren't EverQuest. Doesn't look like the listings of a company gearing up to start production on a new AAA game, let alone a MMORPG. The creative director position does ask for experience developing games and knowledge of UE4/5, but experience requested on a job opening doesn't necessarily represent what they'll actually be doing, and you need a lot more than a creative director to make a game. At most they might be in the early phase of exploring ideas and mechanics for a possible title, and if we are talking an MMO that means we'd be a good 8 years away from an actual release.
  16. Windance Augur

Obviously they would be the people who are not here posting on this thread. :rolleyes:
    Paladin likes this.
  17. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It would entirely depend on how EQ3 is designed, but I would for sure be interested.
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Obviously OP has no idea what it would cost to make a EQ game. I didnt goto eq2 noway i go to another eq game that just me ive been playing since 2000. If eq dies ill just play offline games.
  19. DaciksBB Augur

I think the only thing that the EQ IP can be used for nowadays is anything that isn't an MMO, like the Champions of Norrath games. Totally not praying for another one someday :oops:
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EQ3 if it went into development right now is going to be 5-10 years away.

A whole bunch of us won't even be around by then to worry about it.

But overall there is probably no right or wrong time to start it, what matters is how good it turns out to be when / if it launches, there is the issue of release conflict - such as EQII faced when it only just launched ahead of WoW that overshadowed it some, but releases can be adapted to ameliorate that somewhat.
    Fenthen and Jhenna_BB like this.