Do you use new character models or old ones? (poll)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jmitch, Jul 12, 2023.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The client could do that if the coders wanted it to, but I think it should be a toggle were it ever done, I for one would never want to see old-models just because that is how other people want to be seen, I like having the game display things the way that I want it to, its a matter of personal preference not just for your own character.
    And if they make updated models one day I would be happy to never see a classic or luclin model player character again.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. Kukaw Augur

I box on Mischief, and I do both.
    So, on my main I have most things on and to max, but on the 2nd comp it is all old models and everything off...it is pretty old.
    Other than the crappy auto-follow, and some of the shenanigans I get into from it, the box does mostly alright.
    Turning off the old models really helped.
  3. Risiko Augur

lol
  4. •Obss• Journeyman

I use new because I assumed everyone else was and I just wanted to fit in.

The old smirking male Erudite was hilarious. I grouped with someone in the old north ro and it matched his personality. I dislike how the new wood elves and elementals have a slightly angry face.
  5. Malkavius Augur

Humans - yeah old models look better and monk have cooler animations than luclin ones. But luclin models are still solid and plate helm looks great.

Erudite - They were the the fashionquest race in classic. I like luclin models even better especially plate but not the helm. Looks like they are wearing a weird fetish on their head. Hated it in velious hate it now.

Barbarian - Luclin models 100%. I like the classic models but superman pose and just the best plate graphics period is just chefs kiss a good upgrade.

Elves - Gonna lump them together because they all have the same stupid walk/run animation where their lower backs seem to dislocate from their when they move. I like the models better but any time I play one I feel uncomfortable playing in third person. Dark elves still have badass helms though. Woodelves lost the samurai helm so bleh.

Half elf - NO! Classic all the way there is no debate. Their mustaches look stupid and so does the armor they wear. Their plate helms in luclin are even worse than bucket head plate humans in classic.

Dwarves - Honestly they both have good animations and armor and idle stances. Though luclin models feel a little skinny and stand at a weird angle. But no barrel roll lets face it we know who wins this one.

Iksar - One of the best races visually but have a stupid standing pose I can't get over in classic. The most limp dicked 2hand attack animation that has ever existed in any game let alone mmo. Pretty much imagine a geriatric 87 year old man trying to swing a bat and that's what classic 2h attack animations for iksar is. It's so bad the universe makes them phase through the ground. Idle animations is the best in the game with the sort of sway hiss they do. Armor looks okay I guess? Hate the luclin model they took away their identity and they share same monk animations with humans. Also it's glaring and dumb when you go to kunark zones and see all the statues that looks nothing like them. They also aren't scary or intimidating in the slightest with luclin models.

Troll - Classic by far. Their gross fat hungry angry monsters and luclin models just make them look like ugly hank from the 7/11. Their biggest issue is the dumb 2hand animation with luclin models. I can't decide if I hate this more than the iksar classic one. They both feel stupid.

Ogre - Hot take I like the luclin models much better. I never liked the classic giant downsyndrome baby look of classic ogres. Also as a lore nerd I don't really feel like a race of 8 foot tall super spartans that were cursed by the gods should act like literal R words after several generations. I like the models much better in luclin but don't like plate or leather. And my god the helms look awful. Who designed it and why was it designed that way? At least the erudite plater helm looks phompous AND stupid. The ogre one just looks stupid.
  6. GnomeGnomeGnome Elder

How do you pick which models you see? I cant find this at all, and I want to change back to old models.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Click the cog (advanced tools) on the screen after clicking the launchpad. Select Game Configuration, 2nd screen as you go through, select the models of which chars you want to see.
  8. WeCameWeConquered Elder

New, hands down. That said, original NPC models (skeleton, orc, wolf, etc) are so much better than their newer versions).
  9. Gnomie Denser than most

The worst part of this is that we consider "new models" the models that came out 22 years ago with the 4th out of 30 expansions. I've seen what they can do with graphics on some of the new expansion models. It's a shame they don't add a Character Model 3.0 revamp with a current expansion.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The sad part is that there was a plan to do a third player-character model update and TTobey even did some preliminary animations for Gnome & Troll 3.0** but the project was scrapped & they didn't revisit it.

I sincerely hope we do get a model update in the next few years.

**Troll 3.0 model walking & running animation appear on this vid - https://vimeo.com/user62970659
    ISmellLikeInnySwamp and Barton like this.
  11. Tyranthraxus Grognard

I remember that, they showed us the Katta human model and eventually the Drakkin and we went berserk on them. They backed down, and never tried to do better.

Iirc the explanation was they were attempting to make lower poly models to combat lag.
  12. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

I got used to the old models and never could get into the new ones. The animations just look so much better with the old models too.

I wish they would put the 2h pierce animation back on 2h blunt though.
  13. TLP Addict Augur

I use the who cares models, since you only see the models you have selected it's an even stupider debate than playstation vs xbox or apple vs android.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

I use the older models because they are more distinguishable from one another than the newer models are.
    Dre. likes this.
  15. vaio007 Elder

Can I use old spell effects?
  16. Muramx Augur

I use the newer models. Both set have their visual issues but the older ones are worse. People who say "the old ones are better" makes me wonder if they think Roblox gfx are better then the original CoD.

My only big issue is with Iksar. I love the race, I liked how they sat and the plate helms but hated how skinny they were. With the Luclin model they would look so much better if they didn't have the stupid hunch and the croissant on there plate helm.
    code-zero likes this.