How will the "Easy Mode" standard affect raiding?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sissruukk, Jun 15, 2023.

1. Riou EQResource

Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

There are some raids, it may be an issue. Raids where we already have an issue with dotters over dotting and spawning more adds than we can comfortably handle.

It may just be a case of the raids we need to control DPS we do on 1 day and stick with the old banner and do the others the following day with superior.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

He made the table, he'd know what values he put in there. Is there a reference that shows 1-19 is 1?
  4. Riou EQResource

also mentioned player level / 10 and it being 12 at 120, think the 1-9 level bracket is cause it cant be 0 (it's truncated / 10) and just messed up the mid number adding 1 to the previous, it could be tested tho if you see 360 regen at 120 that means it's 12 at 120 as stated for that part
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

I read it as he was rushing and messed up the level at 120.

That table also means that there will be some changes to how the spell works because the banner is cast at one level per ten player levels (1 is 1, 10 is 2, 20 is 3, etc... 120 is 1213)

You can [trunc(level / 10) + 1] to get a level every 10 player levels starting with 1, so anything under 10 is 0 + 1.

But I'll be trying to grab a guild on test to verify what is being added too.
  6. CrazyLarth Augur

I hope they already fixed the new banner for when we level to 125 in DEC. So peeps don't have to bug it in Beta.
  7. Riou EQResource

It scales to level 200 so it shouldn't be an issue for the next like 40 years
    CrazyLarth likes this.
  8. Soulbanshee Augur

The bucket starts at XX0, so it won't scale up until 130.
    Svann2 and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  9. Soulbanshee Augur

It would also make sense a level 12 banner being player level 120 if level 1 was 1-10, and then every 10 levels where the X0 level is the top of the bucket. Test is scaling to 12 * calc, just need to have an answer on whether the buckets are X0-X9 or X1-X0.
  10. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

End Game Raid content has little to do with keeping healthy populations. Not everyone is intended to be able to beat an expansion while it is current. There has literally always been guilds who were 1 or more expansions behind in raid content. It is not a bug it is a feature.

To be fair, there are numerous other things which they previously set up to scale or update automatically, which eventually stopped scaling or upgrading automatically and were never fixed. The scaling being there and it working are two different things.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why isn't everyone entitled to beat the content while it is current if they try? What harm does it do to the game to allow more raiders to beat current content? It won't impact the guild standings at all as the top guilds don't need it.

What this will do is allow more guilds to beat content when it is relevant which will help keep more players around as they don't get discouraged by not being able to beat the content that they paid for.

I don't understand why people need to be so elitist that they think people don't deserve to beat the content while it is still relevant.
    Sprooce and Yinla like this.
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

No one is entitled to beat anything in this game. Not everyone is expected to or is intended to be capable of beating all of the game. Literally no one is entitled to beat any of the content while it is current. A level one person is not entitled to beat the current expansion just because it is current. No person of any level is entitled to be able to beat any of the current raid content while it is current.
    Koshk and Kaenneth like this.
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

While no one is entitled, they should still be given the chance to, and not 6 months later. This is EQ's attempt at a tiered raid system, much like what WoW and other games have. The only difference is that people will have to wait 6 months after raid releases to finally have a shot at beating them. I am still of the opinion that they are going to intentionally make raids harder to beat, appeasing the top 5% of the EQ gamers who want more of a challenge, and leave the rest of the "filthy casuals" out of the running.

When the 6-month banner goes live, many guilds, including the "filthy casual" guilds, will be suffering from the "summertime blues" as well, so the banner will make no difference, and force alliances on guilds who can beat current raid content now on their own, which comes with its own set of problems that big raid guilds don't have.

This will cause a some people to quit, or have a bleed off of those who love to raid to the top raid guilds. While, to you, this may not be a big deal, for those "filthy casual" raid guilds, this will be a major blow.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why are people not entitled to beat the content that they paid for? Why do they not deserve to be given tools in order to help them beat it? Why should the have to wait to the next expansion to beat those raids? By the time the banner unlocks all the top guilds will have had these raids on farm for a long time and the new banner has no impact on them at all.

This banner will enable guilds that struggle a chance to beat content while it is still current and relevant It will not beat the raids for them and they still need to preform in order to win it just allows them more flexibility in their fights.
  15. Koshk Augur

I don't have strong feelings one way or another about this banner concept. But this line of thinking feels very skewed. Players are not entitled to, nor do they deserve anything, beyond what is written in the game's Terms and EULA. Anything else is subjective. But just like with many other video games, sometimes you're capable of seeing and doing everything. Sometimes you are not. It's a hard knock life.

Would it "be nice" if more players could complete more raid content? Sure. I agree that would be nice. But trying to apply concepts like "entitlement" and "deserve" to a video game seems silly.

By that line of thinking, because I paid for the original Scars of Velious boxed set in December 2000, I must deserve fight Kerafrym. It's content I paid for. Why must I wait 6 months for the Oakwynd TLP to reach that point again? I should be entitled fight that pesky dragon on Live tonight. :rolleyes:
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It isn't 6 months later, T1 is 5 months later, T2 is 4 months later and T3 is 3 months later. All guilds deserve the time to try and beat them on the same difficulty as other guilds. I know in the past the guild I was in busted a gut to get a raid beatten, the week they announced changes in a test patch to make them easier, just so we could say we did it pre nerf. Not all lower guilds want raids nerfed so they can beat them.

3 months for T3 gives them a good chance to get them done as intended while still giving them 6 months to prepare for the next expansion on double loot and coins.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is also no reason that they should be forced to wait until the next expansion in order to get the new banner either. And a TLP isn't even remotely the same as it is a server that is designed to slowly unlock content on a set schedule.

Honestly I don't see what the issue is with the new banner being unlocked at the 6 month mark as players are still going to need the skill to complete the raid. The only difference is that they will have a little more flexibility in the dps/healing requirements in order to complete it. To me it just seems that some people are entitled and think that others don't deserve to be able to use that extra help until the expansion is no longer current.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

*nods* DB has to balance things out for best player retention and that means there has to be some difficulty in doing things or beating raids becomes meaningless.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that is why the banner is released at the 6 month mark in the expansion. Top raiders won't be impacted by this as they will already have put all the raids on farm and it just allows for more to have a better chance at completing the content while it is current.
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Strawberry Augur

We've been over this argument many times.

The camp that says expansions are sold with the expectation that content is accessible to all players, and therefore all content should be available to all, has the most convincing arguments.

We went over this with heated debates during DoD, where people argued massive zones like Dreaspire should be accessible to anyone, because everyone who paid for the expansion, paid for developing this zone.

Several developers actually took the side of players.

Even more broadly, game developers are in agreement that game content should be accessible to all, which is why we have many different difficult levels in games now.