Any plans for the UI?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Boyboi, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Boyboi Elder

Hey guys,

I quit the game when they rolled out the new UI a couple patches ago, I couldn't deal with the constant crashing every time I zoned and clunky UI and my bags all hiding behind the inventory screen. Does anyone know if there are any plans to change it and make it functional again or work on the stability issues it caused?

Figured I would check. Would love to come back it was just too annoying.
  2. Alnitak Augur

As Marsellus Wallace said:
    " And when you're gone, you stay gone, or you be gone. You lost all your L.A. privileges. Deal?"
  3. Bernel Augur

There was a workaround where you could load the old UI with the /loadskin command. We can dig up the instructions for reverting the UI if you want to give that a try.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

He did try it and it made no difference for him.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...a-dev-response-yet.290731/page-4#post-4224715

But here are the directions again in case he overlooked them

Step 1: Log out of EQ. (this isn't needed I was able to do it without logging out)

Step 2: Load the patcher, but instead of logging in, click the little "Advanced Tools" gear close to the bottom left corner.

Step 3: Click "Open Game Directory."

Step 4: Open the "uifiles" folder in your EQ directory.

Step 5: Create a new subfolder. Mine will be called "EmilariUI" for the purposes of this example.

Step 6: Open the "default" subfolder and copy the following 4 files to the new subfolder created in step 5: EQUI_Inventory.xml , EQUI_QuantityWnd.xml , EQUI_SelectorWnd.xml , and EQUI_StoryWnd.xml.

Step 7: Log into EQ.

Step 8: type and enter "/loadskin UIFolderName 1" in a chat window. (IE: /loadskin EmilariUI 1)"

The space and 1 at the end is important to retain the position all your windows load in; if you don't add it, you'll have to reposition your windows.
    Boyboi likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The last plans they announced are to convert everything over to the new UI and they are working on fixing the existing issues and getting the rest of the windows converted over.
    Boyboi likes this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

1 - Don't think the crashes had anything to do with the new UI

2 - Seriously? Just move the inventory window so it doesn't overlap your bags.
  7. Koshk Augur

Only DPG knows for sure, and in true form, they're staying mostly silent about it.
    There's some evidence it's being worked on (see Bug Reports forum).
    As for how long this process will take: your guess is as good as anyone's.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Mine never crashed i use Default though. Inventory is annoying though staying on top of everything although i like the UI Scale wanna be able to do that with other windows. Im getting old and my eyesight is going with it.
  9. error Augur

I'm just hoping they convert more windows over soon. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do with the new UI engine, but not so much with things like the inventory and quantity selection windows.
  10. Angahran Augur

It's been months and all that has been converted are 4 windows, and those still have issues and basically do not work.
    So, given the number of windows in the existing UI, it'll be completed sometime around 2027 and will then need 2 to 3 years to get the bugs out and get it to a state where it is at least as functional as the existing UI.

This whole mess needs to be pulled from the live servers and back to their internal development system until it is in a state where it is at least comparable to the existing UI. Then push it to the Test server, let them test it, actually read all bug reports they post and fix the bugs, then it might be time to think about releasing it to the live servers.
    Ssdar and CatsPaws like this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

What cool things? Have not seen anything like that but it might have been covered up by those transparent bags and inventory and currency slots or it could have been the white inventory and washed out window selector bar that was covering up those "cool" things. Really would like to know because I see nothing changed at all.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. FYAD Augur

run a custom UI that replaces the 4 "new" windows. Even if that custom UI is just the default UI renamed to something else.
  13. Koshk Augur

I'd like to hear the official answer to that question too.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  14. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

OP, was your issue related to AMD?
    If not, this works:

He just said he switched back, he didn't exactly say how.
  15. Salben Journeyman

I still freeze regularly when zoning. It all started when the new ui was pushed out. I have done the “fix” using the custom ui work around, but it didn’t change anything. Prior to new ui patch I could zone perfectly fine, since ui patch my pc completely freezes and I have to cycle power in order to restart. It is 100% new ui related, considering my pc specs and the fact I played for 7 months flawlessly on it until this mess was forced on us.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I use the AYA custom UI from EQInterface. I haven't had a single lock up or freeze since the new UI came out. Haven't had to change any settings at all. Maybe try AYA and see if that works better for you.
  17. Pintoy 3 Journeyman

I haven't seen any of the changes to the default UI. I have used SARS for years. Fortunately it gets updated the same day or at most 2 days after changes to the default are made. I won't even peek at the new UI until I read that it's complete and stable. Even then I doubt I'd go back permanently.
  18. Mikana Augur

I reverted to my custom UI the day the new UI garbage was pushed Live.

They need to remove the new UI windows and engine from Live servers until it's actually ready.
    Angahran and Yinla like this.
  19. Installing Updates Lorekeeper

I love how y’all seem to think there will be bug fixes or that more windows will be converted. Lol! I’m sure the windows and functionality we have now is all that’s ever going to come of the “New UI.”
    CatsPaws likes this.