Speculation - new Darkpaw game?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Skuz, Jul 4, 2023.

1. FYAD Augur

Go to any gaming convention and you'll see lots of discussion surrounding proc-gen.
  2. Koshk Augur

I have a tiny sliver of hope that The Wayward Realms 1) Releases, 2) Pulls off something interesting with procedural generation.

Granted, this sliver is enormous when compared to my feelings about Pantheon or Star Citizen.

However, it's still just a tiny sliver. If the next 10 years are anything like the past 10 years, I'm quite certain I'll still be playing EQ1.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ok but it sounded like you were saying there are games that exist that do proc-gen, not just talk at a convention. You described them as "bland variations on the same theme".
  4. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

While the rollout of the new UI system is definitely a dumpster fire, EQ as a whole is not.
    Angahran likes this.
  5. Angahran Augur

Maybe if they had, you know, actually advertised EQ at any point over the last decade+ they could bring in new players (a.k.a revenue) ?

I don't understand how a company has a product that has been around for almost a quarter of a century and instead of yelling it from the rooftops and saying "come check it out!" they seem to act like it's a dirty secret to be kept quiet about ?
  6. FYAD Augur

There are games that exist that use proc-gen. Games that I've seen demo'd at conventions that didn't impress and were ultimately forgettable.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

While advertising is great it is just wasted money if the game isn't going to keep the people that they attract through advertising.
  8. Nuttmeg Augur

I'd sub for Vanguard in a heartbeat.
  9. Angahran Augur

How would they know if people would stay? They have barely even admitted EQ still exists for over a decade!
    Maybe try something new and advertise ? Maybe they'll get a wave of new subs or just people that feel nostalgic ?
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Maybe some would but I think most would be attracted to a newer game that takes less effort to catch up as well as one that is more friendly to solo players and not needing to find groups or box to do much.
  11. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Who is Dzarn?
  12. Koshk Augur

Brontus likes this.
  13. Marton Augur

Does Dzarn still work there?
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  14. Highwizard Augur

Assuming thats real if they went open source that would mean they will not be making anymore expacs for EQ1 right?
  15. Highwizard Augur

nvm.
    Szilent likes this.
  16. jeskola pheerie

They are buying Pantheon and renaming it EQ3
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

My favorite part of the article:

"Which actor/actresses would play each person: etc.)
    Absor: Walter Matthau
    Aristo: Cuba Gooding Jr.
    Bembaru: Bruce Willis
    Chandrok: Paul Bettany
    Dzarn: Weird Al Yankovic
    Elegist: Steve Buscemi
    Elidroth: Andre the Giant
    Ellie: Nicole Kidman
    Jansan: Burgess Meredith (Time Enough at Last episode of the Twilight Zone)
    JChan: Jennifer Tilly
    JGray: Jonathan Goldsmith (The Most Interesting Man in the World)
    Ngreth: Brad Pitt
    Normando: George Wendt
    Phathom: Tim Tebow
    Piestro: Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf (Ed's note, I would have picked Doug Bradley -P)"
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Dzarn was the dev who basically gave EQ its first & last round of actual class-development in years and did most of it doing a ton of overtime, he was dev AND also a coder but is full-time coder now as I understand it.
    I hope we get back to EQ having class-development again, the game sure as hell needs it.
    Ozon, Yinla, Brontus and 1 other person like this.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

As long as they profit they'll keep making expansions.
    Nennius likes this.
  20. FYAD Augur

So another EQNext vaporware debacle, you say?
    Koshk likes this.