EverQuest Producer’s Letter July 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

[IMG]
    Forge your path within the realm of possibilities.
    Hail, Norrathians! We are firmly in the summer season and, as many of you already know, much has happened since we last touched base. Since the April Producer’s Letter, we’ve kicked off our Extra Life fundraising efforts along with our global Daybreak Games Super Team page, Tempest Festival kicked off with all new content, we launched the new UI engine, and our newly designed Evolving Ruleset Server, Oakwynd, went live. It feels like so much has happened in such a short span of time, but we’re not even close to being done with all our plans for this year!
    Before we dive into what’s on the horizon, let’s check out what’s already happened thus far.

Completed:
    And now it’s time to tell you all about the great things coming up next! First, Coirnav players will be moving to a new home as the server is merged to Vox this month. Never fear, however, if you do not wish to move to Vox, you are welcome to use a free transfer to move to one of the other allowed servers prior to merge day. Stone Cold Summer will see some new content in the form of quests, a new mission, and overseer. Grab your ice-cold lemonade and join us for the fun! And last on the list, but not least, the DirectX 11 API port will be up on Test, be sure to join us there for some testing.

Upcoming:
    In other happenings on the servers: Yelinak recently unlocked the Omens of War, and Mischief and Thornblade both unlocked the Secrets of Faydwer! We’ve also got the Death, Death, Death! Event coming soon. Sharpen your swords and ready your bows and staves as this is all about killing the most old-world bosses faster than anyone else on the server! Living Legacy Raids event is coming up, Whizzlebang Twempt in Steamfont Mountains will be waiting for you to begin your adventure!

Once again, Darkpaw Games, as part of Daybreak Games' Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion initiative, has pledged a donation of $5,000 to The San Diego LGBT Community Center. One of the many projects this organization works on is helping to solve the housing crisis in San Diego.

And let’s not forget that we are continuing to team up with Extra Life to help improve kids' health. The official Extra Life Game Day is November 4, 2023, and we're planning some fun things and incentives for everyone, so be on the lookout for upcoming articles! Visit our Extra Life Announcement and read all about how we are part of the Daybreak Games Super Team as well as what your contribution does for children in need! Fun times, great games, excellent causes!

[IMG]
    Yikes! I wouldn't want to meet this guy in an alley.

If memory serves me correctly, this is where I touch on the upcoming expansion. Great things are happening, and the team is working ever diligently on the lore, quests, and much more! All I can say for now is that things are not always how we remember them…or are they?

Signing off as songs of the past linger in my memories,
    Jenn Chan
    Head of Studio
    [IMG]
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

When will all the issues be solved that this created?

Forget you released another server other than Yelniak last year? Vaniki not deserve any recognistion of which expansion it is on?
    questor56, Marton and Jalelorf like this.
  3. Lodestar The Undefeated

If DirectX 11 can be implemented correctly, without any issues, then that would be a tremendous achievement for the entirety of the year. Forget everything else (other than raid lag perhaps). Stoked for some FPS bumps.
    Aiona and Skuz like this.
  4. Goofydoofy Journeyman

What issues? The only thing I've seen is the changed windows staying in the front. Who cares? When they are all updated, it will be back to normal. What other issues are there?
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Tarvas and Keeden like this.
  5. Monkeychunks Augur

White inventory windows, extreme cpu use, currency windows always opening in upper left and no way to alter it, faded out bags, etc etc. Just read thru the bug reports. Glad none of this happened to you.
    Nenton, Barton, Koshk and 2 others like this.
  6. Cidran Augur

Thank you for the letter. Oakwynd has been fun so far, now I can't wait to know more about next expansion.

Long live EQ!
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Fanra like this.
  7. Hekaton Augur

the new UI update caused my computer to heat up so hard. touching it is like touching the purple infinity stone in guardians of the galaxy
    Allayna likes this.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

If your computer heats up enough to notice - it's not EverQuest.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Tarvas like this.
  9. Hekaton Augur

only happened after the UI patch and i'm not the only one that it's happened to
  10. Brontus EQ Player Activist

From the perspective of a person that plays on TLP servers, while I am glad that EverQuest is still going and treading water, I don't see anything here that super excites me. There are no new perks which is odd considering that Daybreak's propensity to monetize.

Here's what would pique my interest:

If Darkpaw made an effort to making significant quality of life improvements as part of the featureset of each expansion, then it would go a long way in building trust between the developers and the players. As it stands for TLP players, there's no real reason to shell out money to buy expansions other than a few gimmicky incentives like mounts, pets, and bags. Daybreak is leaving a lot of money on the table because of this.

On the other hand, quality of life improvements enhance the play EverQuest play experience for both live and TLP players. To me that is development money better spent and it also enchances the longevity of the franchise which means more consistent revenue.

The other thing I would address is the lack of studio engagement with its customers. Other MMO studios have regular devlogs and monthly Twitch and YouTube streams where players can hang out with the devs, hear what they are up to and ask questions. Other studios such as Standing Stone Games (owned by Daybreak) are already doing this, why not Darkpaw?

Another missed opporutnity is TikTok. Blizzard's Word of Warcraft has a big presence on the platform with hundreds of videos and 151K subsribers. Why isn't official EverQuest on TikTok leveraging this massive world-wide platform?

A commitment to greater visibility and authentic outreach helps to humanize devs who are often unfairly seen as insular and indifferent to the needs of the players. Interaction with players would also help the devs relate to players better. A few hours a month alloted for visible outreach via a handful of revolving devs would not break the bank at Daybreak.

One last thing, can we have a special month each year dedicated to players? An official Player Appreciation Month dedicated to giving back to the unsung heroes that cheerfully support Darkpaw all these years would not hurt anyone. Once a year, the devs could ask us this simple question:

What can we do to make the EQ experience better for you?

Small acts of unexpected kindness go a long way in the real world and in a virtual world. We know the devs care or they wouldn't be here. An annual pay it forward charm offensive from the devs for one month a year would benefit everyone.

Focusing on elevating workplace and studio culture has been popular in recent years and paid dividends as people want to be happy where they work. The phrase "we are family" is used a lot in many corporations today and I think the adoption of a more welcoming and inclusive stance toward loyal players would really pay off with happier players and less forum toxicity. This in turn would result in happier devs and moderators. Anyways, thanks for listening.
  11. Xatt Journeyman

GM events once or twice a year with rare loot would be great. The guide events are pretty underwhelming.
    Ozon likes this.
  12. Xinetoan Star Seeker

What is the time frame on more windows coming to the new engine? For me, it's not really useful unless many more windows (if not all) have been updated.
    Koshk and Szilent like this.
  13. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

I find it hard to be excited about new expansion when you don't know what to do with them; no Sebilis last year, no Ssra this year.
  14. Xanbar Augur

Could you give us a way to provide positive feedback to the Everquest Team when we think you have done an excellent job on some aspect of the game?
  15. Koshk Augur

Could not agree more. Recurring and genuine bi-directional communication is #1 on my Feedback and Wish List for Darkpaw and Daybreak.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Szilent likes this.
  17. Metanis Bad Company

So many things left unanswered. And I dare not say how I really feel about the accomplishments, or I'll be banned.
    Ssdar, Yinla and Koshk like this.
  18. Flib Spinetingle Apprentice

That literally said nothing.
    Barraind, Ssdar, tigersnack and 3 others like this.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You get more info from those data mining than you do from official channels, they really need to do the annoucements and information posts before things start leaking to live and test.
  20. Tutankamen Augur

I think you guys have done an awesome job- all while negotiating staff turnover, budgets and other corporate hurdles and challenges. You're still putting out fun interesting content and I appreciate you keeping this game alive! Thanks again Team!
    Puzzled, Xyroff-cazic. and Angeliana like this.