Is Oakwynd Already a Ghost Town? My First TLP Experience is a Major Letdown

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gareldar, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Gareldar New Member

Guess I was hoping for solid economy on a thriving TLP. What we got are alt hoarders and bots on Oakwynd. Hey, at least the bots sell their gear, the real ugliness comes from the alt hoarders.
  2. code-zero Augur

alt hoarders...that's new
    Lot's of impressive rhetoric attempting to prove that the server has already failed, like Miragul levels of fail, it's all wrong and it doesn't matter what your degree of sophistry is. If I'm wrong I have no problem admitting it, I was wrong about FTE even being viable and I admitted it but I am not yielding points to spurious claims
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  3. Kahna Augur

Yes. Because it's not about the over all population, it's about the personality of the server if you will. It's antisocial. That's really the only way to describe what I experienced over there. I went back to Mischief because, although it has a smaller population, it scratches the social interaction itch better. Maybe that's my guild, maybe it's just a friendlier server. I don't know, but it's something.
  4. TacoTime! Journeyman

Literally that was the beginning metric used in the thread... they're giving oranges to oranges to the initial comment.
    Rijacki likes this.
  5. TacoTime! Journeyman

Yes - it's only "antisocials" - its never anyone that has their social circle that they want maxed out /rolleyes.

In fact two people in this thread I know for a fact are heavy boxers, but ALSO very social - just don't tend to care to add more people to their circles/general LFG/etc (myself being one).

Just because people don't want to give you charity of a spot doesn't mean they're antisocial. Just you have too much ego to acknowledge you many not make the cut.
  6. toasty4800 Elder

ok.

Past TLP's have been much more social.

Not exclusively players boxing and as you put it charity cases who play one character and want to make friends how group up.

I mean how dare they want something like that on this multiplayer game.

Lets be honest the boxers don't want to include others because they want to maximize krono gains.

That's the bottom line.

Oakwynd is a server full of krono farmers, anyone who is serious about the game are on other servers currently.
    Gareldar likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The population on the server status is a lot better then other metrics as it shows the population based on the number of players logged into the server.
    TacoTime! likes this.
  8. code-zero Augur

Who are these Krono farmers trading their ill gotten gains for Krono with if that's all there is?
    Koshk, Rijacki and TacoTime! like this.
  9. TacoTime! Journeyman

You have a wider level spread - and one that keeps active at a wider spread due to the server rules preferring people to level 2nd/3rd characters per account - so there's not a sweet spot for the server to stay at for grouping.

Whereas for Mischief which ABSOLUTELY has a lower pop currently has that lower pop all condensed into a finite range of content and levels.

It's a sampling bias as a result due to completely demographics. But I've got a feeling I might be speaking over your understanding of statistics and demographic data.
    Rijacki likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Think about it from Daybreaks side, if they are looking at a servers health to decide if it needs to be merged into another server are they going to look at the server population, the number of people trading in various places, the number of people in chat channels, or some other random metric?

All that matters to Daybreak is the number of players who are logging into the server to play.
    TacoTime! likes this.
  11. TacoTime! Journeyman

Indeed - to me, less trading in my case is me alting more than usual - I'd rather work on a 2nd/3rd alt for a 10% XP bonus (that alt also needing some gear) rather than selling the excess stuff I get.

Perhaps I'm a unique snowflake on such, but I doubt it - as it's a core mechanic of the server to use.
  12. Numiko Augur

I always find offline traders are the most anti-social people!

I just find these doom and gloomers have the mindset that once "They" leave the server its a "Ghost Town" or a "Dead Server".

It reminds me of a guild leader I had many years ago who wrote everyone in the guild a letter apologizing for having to leave EQ, as he knew the entire guild would fall into disarray and collapse soon after we lost his leadership ...

Everyone just shrugged, appointed a new leader and carried on raiding for many years afterward.
    TacoTime! and Koshk like this.
  13. Koshk Augur

Indeed, we should all be ashamed of ourselves. How very selfish to earn loot, then not sell it.

When we signed the EULA to play EQ, we agree it was our sworn economic duty, our solemn obligation to re-sell all the items our main character does not currently have equipped on their person.

Empty your bags and banks, you sinners of commerce. Other players are depending on us to make the game fun for them.
  14. WokeCat Augur

I think the craziest thing I saw was when people sold the loot rights to the Dark Elf mask, how many people blew up in global chats over it. Like I literally never camped that item, but got attacked by Ghoul Assassin multiple times because he somehow sees through IVU (maybe he's not undead?). I actually took two of them for myself, and gave the third to a complete stranger, but the idea that if I had tried to sell said item, multiple people would have a meltdown at me in global chat kind of blows my mind.
    Koshk likes this.
  15. Koshk Augur

Not that I'm not accusing Oakwyind of being full of krono farmers.

However, to give a serious answer to your question, I've always assumed some percentage would just take the krono back to their home servers. Either selling it there, or later using it to pay for their All Access.
  16. wade_watts Augur

You are incorrect in (at least) two ways.

1) 'Auction chat' is not general chat channels.
    2) Comparing a general chat on a 3 week old server vs. a 2+ year old server that is 14 expansions in is absolutely not a "oranges to oranges" comparison.
  17. TLP Addict Augur

I suppose that's one perspective. My perspective from playing on Mischief is that it is an anti-social boxers wet dream. So many groupable targets that dropped raid loot, just encouraged people to box a whole group and not invite any single character players, maybe TBS changed this but it was certainly the case in TSS.
  18. wayne62682 New Member

I havent' realy found much issues in Oakwynd on either my 50 druid or 24 cleric. The main issue is just camps being taken/lack of picks/boxers. For my first real EQ experience I'm liking it a lot, other than those problems.
  19. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

I'm really scratching my head at people saying "its been so hard getting/forming groups"...

I played since oakwynd deployed, and I formed nearly every group i've been in (since im a ranger and we don't get natural love lol).. Maybe I need to upload a video for proof, but I can almost always form a PUG within 5 minutes. If you are just sitting back with /LFG on, then maybe you're right, but that's always been the case - people need specific classes & maybe yours isn't whats desired.

TIPS & TRICKS (example for a level 20 group):
    step 1). type /who all LFG 18 27
    step 2). Recruit the classes/people closest to you
    step 3). EXP

^ Not once has this taken me more than 10 minutes in Oakwynd. Though, I don't play at 3AM like some others, so maybe let me know your concerns if you're a graveyard shift EQ player lol
    Koshk and TacoTime! like this.
  20. toasty4800 Elder

Several krono farmers competing for the business of a small number of nostalgia farmers.

Have you personally spoke to them and ask how business is going?

They may not be doing as well as they were on other servers.