Broken UI was not ready for game day

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Guzzledrout, May 20, 2023.

1. Angahran Augur

If they have already been converted why are you 'converting' them ?
    And, if they have already been converted, why are they giving any warnings ?
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

To test how the convertor is working on non custom UI windows? How many posts do we have complaining about the issues with the new defualt UI windows that they have converted? Are you really in that much of a rush to convert those windows and have the same issues that others are experiencing? Personally I think it is better for them to focus on fixing the other bugs before worrying about converting a custom UI.
  3. Angahran Augur

Again, nobody is talking about custom UIs!

What is the point of a tool to convert their own default UI if it cannot actually convert their own default UI ?

Before this mess was dumped on the live servers they should have been able to put the existing 'old' default UI into their LayoutConverter and have a fully working, error free 'new' default UI come out the other end.

Why is that such a difficult concept to understand ?

And to answer your question, it isn't!
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, I am responding to complaints that the UI conversion tool is not working which only applies to custom UI's as people don't need to convert the default ones for normal use.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You all have me really confused.

All I know is I did not, prior to this patch, use any custom UI.

But since this patch I am not able to play with the standard game provided UI.

Therefore I did a work around which uses an old UI left in the files. It did not fix it 100%

I still don't see that as a custom UI.

So to me this conversion tool is not working on standard game provided UI
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And unless you are making/running a custom UI that you want to convert to the new UI engine you don't need to use or care about the conversion tool.
  7. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

The summary thus far...working as unintended...nothing to see here.
  8. Angahran Augur

And you're still wrong.

The LayoutConvert is supposed to convert an existing 'old' UI, e.g. the defaut UI to the new engine.
    So, you should be able to use it to convert the entire default UI to the new engine.

IT.. DOES.. NOT.. WORK!

I don't know how to make it any clearer.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, it is to convert a custom UI to the new one as the devs are the ones converting the default UI to the new one. As of right now they have only converted 4 windows to the new UI and that is all the conversion tool is able to convert. You are not able to convert any other window to the new UI until the devs convert it. Even at that point you will never have to run the conversion tool on the default UI.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Have the devs stated their purpose for having a converter, or are we just playing the speculation game?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The devs are converting all the default windows and including them as downloads in the patcher. The conversion tool is to assist with people in converting a custom UI to the new UI engine, not to convert default windows that the devs have yet to convert to the new engine. Also they called out what the tool is used for when they announced the new UI engineand they even said it does not 100% work yet.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/new-ui-engine-launched-on-test.289577/

12. Angahran Augur

It is supposed to convert a UI from the old format to the new format.

If it worked then it could be used to convert the default UI to the new format.

Since it doesn't work the devs are having to manually convert each window one at a time.
    Emilari likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If it was that easy to convert a window to the new UI they would have launched them all at once instead of doing it a few at a time. The conversion tool is only ever going to work on windows that the devs have manually converted to the new UI engine and it won't work on windows before they have done it.

Why do you think the plan would have been to have players manually install and run a tool to convert the default UI instead of having the devs include it in the patcher download?
  14. Angahran Augur

/boggle!

What is the point of a conversion tool that only works on windows that have already been manually converted ?

I give up.
    Emilari and Nennius like this.
  15. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

It is a botched release all the way around. It was silly to push any of it to live. It is bananas to manually convert the current UI to the new system and tell people you are building a converter that will do just that. It is logical to think they would use their own UI to test the converter.

When the converter is in a working state, it should convert any UI component that is made available in the new system regardless of how that component was built in the new system. If the Daybreak converter cannot convert a Daybreak UI component, it is very unlikely to work on a custom one. The only reason to release it in its broken state would be hoping to have players fix it.
    Yinla and Shanarias like this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The conversion tool is used for custom UI's to convert those windows and it has to be updated with the conversion rules for each window as the devs slowly convert them to the new UI engine. The tool isn't meant to convert over the default UI as that is what the devs are doing and it is taking them time.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The convertor is working on the windows default windows that the devs have converted over so far. The issue appears to be that some think it should work on converting all windows regardless of the devs having done the work to convert them or not.
  18. Triconx Augur

That doesn't make any sense. The converter works on windows that were converted already without using the converter? Brilliant! I'm sure it needed to convert so much code on the windows that...were already converted. What exactly is the point of a converter if it only works on already converted windows? That's like me going out to mow the lawn right after the lawn maintenance workers just mowed it. :rolleyes:

Stop constantly trying to come to the defense of the devs and justify them pushing garbage to live. It's sickening how much you'll blindly go to bat for them on everything.

I just logged into the game for the first time in about 4 months couple days ago. Good lord the new UI is an unmitigated disaster of bugs and issues. It's absolutely inexcusable to allow this to go live. Anyone who defends this should be banned from the forums (Waring).
    Act of Valor likes this.
  19. Nenton Augur

I'm assuming the problem here is that this UI overhaul is a completely esoteric concept to you and so you're spouting off about what you have no idea about.

How about this example? Let's say the devs created a tool which converted circles to squares based off their diameter. The devs have their own circle of a certain diameter (default UI) but the intent of the converter is to plug any sized circle in (custom UI) and pop out an appropriately sized square. What Angahran has been trying to drill into you is that not only can you not put your own sized circle into the converter, you can't even plug in their default circle because the converter simply doesn't create squares. And because the converter doesn't create squares, the devs hand-drew their square rather than using their own converter tool.

Like this:

[IMG]

Though maybe that square isn't blurry enough.

Got it? Figured not.
    Emilari likes this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Defending the devs by trying to point out that fixing the windows they converted is more important than fixing the conversion tool? Or pointing out that the conversion tool is meant to convert custom UI's for windows that have already been converted and will not work on default windows that have not been converted?