Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. wade_watts Augur

I'm sorry sir, this is what you want. You might think that you won't like it, but DPG knows best. This is what you want. Trust them.
  2. Dominate Augur

Heirlooms with char specific lockouts enable this server to be the most monetized server in TLP history. So, yep. High potential indeed.

The dudes who warp to raids can do it as many times as they have toons now. There will be gallons of gear entering the game that was never there before. SO this is just basic level economics;

More loot to sell

Less barrier to entry for the RMT crew than the casual player (casuals have less time to lvl toons and raid)

Target buyers for "no drop" loots can now make any number of characters and "spend" their lockouts to purchase "no drop" gear from RMTers and shared bank it to their main. It doesn't even have to be the same class o_O

Loot gets "locked" to an account once it is looted (i.e. can't be re-circulated)

Contrast that to free trade on Mischief:

There is far more gear in circulation because of bonus loot. The loot is being re-cycled back into the free market where the market sets the price. EVERYONE gets to participate in this market, not just the dudes who warped to Inny and slew him. Randomized loot tables enable more casual players to acquire better loot with far less barrier to entry for it.

Simplified; Oakwynd is the server where RMTers get to acquire more loot, have an easier time selling it, while still keeping the barrier to entry into the market super high for the casual player. Win-win-win for them. As usual the casual player suffers because people think that giving them MORE freedom to play the game how they will is bad. Ofc Darkpaw knows what casuals want to do with their gaming time better than the casual.
  3. Alpha_Ragefire Lorekeeper

amen
  4. Sabra Lorekeeper

Nah its no different than boxing your alt on a different account without the lock out. It could be true if everyone started making alts which is much more accessible then having a second PC. But what you're forgetting is time. Every guild would have to raid with their alts for the economy to be booming as you're describing.

In my experience there are a handful of raiding guilds on a TLP. At the end of the raid most people want to log off and sleep or do something else not log on their alts and raid it all again.

And having 7 raid days may work for 1 guild but most guilds are pretty strict about 2-3 raid days. These are very good thought experiments but they do not mirror the reality of the situation.
    Zrender likes this.
  5. Jontrann Augur

Yup its hilarious that people think this server will have LESS RMT then mischief lol.
    WeCameWeConquered likes this.
  6. Jontrann Augur

Except for the fact that for every single character you make it gets easier and easier to level the next and that was probably the biggest barrier to entry. If you don't think high end raiders won't take advantage of this then your absolutely crazy. I know a ton of people personally who would love to get multiple attempts at getting a BoC every week.
  7. wade_watts Augur

Levelling a character is not really a barrier to entry at all. If anything, DPG removing the requirement to sub an additional account (thus generating more revenue for them) will be the biggest barrier removed. If you had to burn 6 krono monthly for each 6-box team - it had to be worth it.

Now you just create 10X the toons and DPG gets no additional revenue. Not sure why the company would enable the behavior AND lose revenue in the process. /boggle
  8. Jontrann Augur

There's already a few guilds talking about how the loot rules on this server will be drastically different with alts being able to roll on everything so people can funnel their main faster due to having multiple lockouts and no drop items being heirloom means you can trade items between them all willy nilly so if you think other servers we're toxic and had a lot of RMT you ain't seen nothin yet.
  9. Braelvenae Lorekeeper

I wish they would just make the alternate character experience matter more. I'm fine with 10% (I'd go 20% personally) but the extra experience matters every little because as soon as a level expansion drops it disappears. They should set it so first toon leveled after a level cap increases gets the bonus still. Then there is incentive to actually want to maintain these alts besides just hoping you'll get enough alt raiding for it to pay off.

They also need to clarify if this bonus applies to AA XP as well - because from reading their announcement I would assume not since AA XP and general XP are listed as two separate modifiers in the evolving ruleset.
    Zrender likes this.
  10. Ruhi Augur

it's so interesting.

i like how the kneejerks went from "legacy char ruleset account wide dz bad" to "legacy char ruleset account wide dz good"

a good correlation of data to look at -> did half lockout dz events increase rmt (people didn't even have to level a 2nd char)? i'm curious - cause i've not seen that mentioned here, reddit, or discord
    Zrender likes this.
  11. Heirauz Journeyman

What do you mean huh?
  12. Ruhi Augur

this quote of yours:
    1 thing is not like the other

apples do not taste like oranges
  13. Dominate Augur

My reply was to the dude who has posted 50ish posts extolling the virtues of Oakwynd because he says it gets rid of RMT, Trains, and mitigates named sniping.

Your post is from the perspective of a casual player who wants to play in their normal set of behaviors.

My post was to reply to the couple of dudes who have been extrapolating that this ruleset curbs RMT, solves trains, and alleviates some named sniping. It is almost a "slider" like a video game setting. The MORE casual friendly a ruleset is, the LESS RMT will happen. Oakwynd is not casual friendly. Oakwynd is the most RMT friendly ruleset ever proposed.

Ironically, Oakwynd promotes boxing as well (which is another gripe of the FTE enjoyers) because if you've got 3 accounts on a raid and items are rotting you have more accounts to be vacuuming up the loot for alts. Any time a "feature" helps one person it gets multiplied for boxers.

I am not trying to say that the heirloom loot sucks. I like it but prefer free trade. Random loot is by far the best thing that ever happened for casual players as well.

People have just been saying that Oakwynd mitigates RMT (with the one dude saying it means RMT is gone and you have to 'earn" your gear now) and I am trying to point out that it doesn't mitigate RMT, it enhances and enables it.
  14. Sabra Lorekeeper

I see where you're coming from. I have no insight to the numbers but I would think the majority of people are the casual normal people and the 1% is the hardcore weirdo's raiding 7 days a week while their Mom yells at them from upstairs that their dinner is getting cold. Hey dont get me WRONG, I envy those people. I wish my Mom would make me dinner while I played EQ all day not having to work! But I guess I would have no money and I would need to use the game to generate money which would make me an RMTer...
  15. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

The "easy" way to eliminate this RMT "haven" is to have AoC lockouts apply to the entire account again on Free Trade and Heirloom servers.

On the other hand.. how long does this even affect people? PoP? After that, it's no different than any other instanced raid.

I can have 15 characters on my account, run 15 NoS raids, (once for each character) and trade away any items on FV... I don't see how that is any different than all of this.. aside from it affecting PoP and earlier. Post PoP it would be exactly like Mischief and Thornblade, up to how FV has handled it since.. forever.
  16. Komodon Augur

The most logical conclusion there that makes any rational sense of this is that we've all been operating on a super inflated assumption on just how much profit money boxing is actually bringing in to the bottom line Daybreak cares about.

I mean I play and box on every server. It's been a good 8 years and countless thousands of hours since Daybreak directly got any money for me or all my accounts. Launch farms always pay for an entire TLP and then some. I typically only spend daybreak cash over the 500 i pile up every month. I know endless people like me, and god knows how much older and/or duped krono has been dumped out into the world and into a fairly thriving BM.

If you start rationalizing it along the lines of that guy, maybe the metrics on both vanity items and krono bought directly through the cash shop are super heavily in favor of single account players. In fact almost every "whale" I can think of, that will most certainly be doing exactly what was suggested there to deck themselves out at whatever cost, are typically single box players.
  17. Larsen Augur

The impact that RMT has on the game is wildly overblown. Think back to your last TLP server. How many of your guild members were buying RMT services? A single-digit number, I imagine. It's nowhere near as big of an issue as the forum discourse would have you believe. While it would be a nicer game without it, it's just not something that represents a constant daily eyesore. It's an isolated corner of the TLP experience, and it is effortlessly avoidable. It most certainly is not worth changing the entire way this game is played in order to combat PLers or whatever it is people foolishly imagine.
  18. Sandy100 Elder

Ok, I'll bite. Here are my added suggestion.: First,The most popular features on TLPS are randomized loot and everything being tradeable . Randomized loot in particular allows people to go to any zone and get items that normally won't be found there. I don't know why you wouldn't implement this. Secondly, I don't get why you would allow boxing when you have a great alternative: allow for more than one mercenary. In fact, the technology that I have seen on servers allows for the use of other created player classes to be used as mercs. I don't see why you can't dot his. Third,, why not adopt what is currently very popular in other mmos: Allow anyone who attacks a mob to get some experience. They won't be able to kill steel but more could get experience.
  19. RABKkehhalla Elder

Random loot is terrible
  20. Komodon Augur

I totally get a lot of people get carried away here doing exactly this. Questioning the actual Daybreak inventive structure that would have to be behind a decision that on the surface is trying to encourage people to box less isn't really that though.

If you have a better rationalization then the one laid out here and that actually makes any sense I'm all ears. To me and post follow up announcement this "testing" has more of a vibe like them trying to feel out the boundries on how they can start pushing EQ1's gameplay into being more RMT driven like EQ2's is though.

That guy nailed it. This will most certainly be the biggest RMT server to date, and the LR advertising is going to be off the charts lol.