Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Loscropos New Member

So with boxing and PL crews…. Maybe 300 actual players.

I stand corrected, that is truely an impressive number.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are agreeing with what I am saying, PvP isn't a new idea to Everquest and team PvP isn't a new idea to Everquest. They used to have team PvP servers but those got shut down due to population issues and the existing PvP server is pretty much at the bottom across all servers regarding population.

Because of this they have plenty of evidence that a new TLP PvP server would not bring the numbers that they need to start a server and keep it running.

Making new servers isn't an agile process that you can just create and teardown servers on the fly.
  3. internalprime8 Journeyman

I do hope that if you remove encounter locking that you keep the rest of the structure of this TLP pretty close to what is in the producers letter. The expansion bonus unlocks are a pretty clean way to make the traditional TLP more enjoyable over time. The legacy character bonuses should be revisited as they don't offer much incentive for anyone to actually use them as is. The exp bonus on them needs to be significantly increased or they unlock something else.

Like others, I would love to see free trade brought back again but not random loot. If free trade is a hard no, then either making all no-drop items heirloom or attunable would be a good compromise. What will keep the server healthier long term is less focus on boosting alts on one account and more focus on making it possible for people to gear their boxes since that is the inevitable path of all TLPs.
  4. Ruhi Augur

i agree with some of the rest of what you posted, but what are you even talking about it here?

how are we going to have a smaller class of "haves"? - be direct, not ambiguous if you want me to understand your point.
  5. Thatoneguy666 Elder

Certainly. With dps racing you get a certain number of groups and players who can compete and some who just can't. Take it from me, someone who has been in a HUGE number of dps races, it's not a sure thing often. I've been in groups where we win the race 80% of the time on a mob. Or sometimes we win 40% of the time. There is some variance and cool downs can play a big factor. Maybe I'll lose most of the time but once an hour when HT is up I'll win.

So in summary multiple groups can and do win dps races against each other. Of course some just cannot compete. But it's not like a 100% thing.

When you change it to FTE, there isn't really any variance. Whoever has an auto cast macro with an instant click will win. Ties goes to best ping. Which is absolutely consistent. One guy whoever it is, probably not me since I'm east coast, will win EVERY SINGLE TIME, without question and without the need to bring overwhelming force. Guy with appropriate macro and instant clicks can monopolize multiple spawns with zero repercussions and win every single time.
    Trident likes this.
  6. Runes Augur

The easy solution is to release two servers, one with the ruleset proposed for Oakwynd and the other a Mischief 2.0 clone without FTE with the expansion perks and random loot fixed, this way Devs save face and the market decides which works. If they too nervous to release two servers with one without the FTE because they are afraid that the FTE server will fail, then they know the answer already.
    Ruiner and Kunfo like this.
  7. Thatoneguy666 Elder

Yes all of that makes perfect sense. But you're forgetting that fte is driven by ego and potentially sunk cost fallacy. You have to look at it from their perspective. In their eyes we are droolers who don't know what is best for us. Giving a choice is pointless because they already know what needs to be done. We'd obviously just make the wrong one and then not enough people would be able to stress test their joyous new system
    Trident, wade_watts and Runes like this.
  8. Runes Augur

I saw what you did there ;>
  9. Loscropos New Member

100% correct. They won’t change anything, they will just try to explain why their choice is better and how it will “work”.
    They have a captive audience, they aren’t worried about attracting new people to the game. I mean unless you used to play and have nostalgia, why would you play? They know they could release pretty much anything and people will play. If they were concerned about attracting new players they would have some semblance of customer interaction.
  10. wade_watts Augur

Not sure they have a captive audience. They have a set of current players, there are a bunch that simply aren’t playing last year and this year because of the poor rulesets. Mischief backfired for them I think. It opened up a new way to play and a lot of folks became uninterested in going back to the “normal” tlp. I still don’t think they quite realized how fun the Mischief ruleset was and what they had in it.
  11. Zansobar Augur

Well they said the reset won't happen until AFTER the mobs walk back to their initial location, so they de-agro first then walk back then reset and can be engaged by others only at that time. It takes away the danger of others agro-ing mobs that are walking back to their initial spot.
  12. Zrender Augur

No, it just removes the afk PLing. The "remaining PL" technique using thorns, chloro and sln cast on the person leveling is great and will still work perfectly fine for low level and is how it's done by most people that aren't paying for the RMTers afk pl anyway. It's great because the players are still playing instead of being afk. A druid, cleric, enc buffing OOG lets an entire lowbie group level extremely quickly.
  13. Kunfo Augur

People keep saying FTE won't affect Druid PLing. Of course it will. Druid PLing many times involves having the Druid pull, and almost always involves the Druid rooting runners, unless you are in unrest or lower guk dead side.
    Koshk likes this.
  14. Trident Elder

I feel sorry for "most people" if they think this is the most effective way of non-afk pl in a normal ruleset situation. This is getting buffs and going fight on your own and it becomes basically useless by the times mobs are able to overcome your skin advantage without getting heals to keep you up.
  15. Apex Elder

For the legacy bonus why not bind it towards fellowships? You could remove the npc for the port click until TBS so you can't use that function. For every character max level in fellowship you can have the 10% bonus capped at 100% but a nice incentive on groups that play together more without having to level characters that will be locked to group content with AoC account lockouts.
    Thatoneguy666 likes this.
  16. Thatoneguy666 Elder

No man it's not most people. It's just hyper casuals who like to pull one mob at a time and aren't quite sure how this black magic PL cheaters work. Even most scrub guilds I've been a part of understand you pull and tank on the high level oog character. Let's please not base our sweeping game play changes on what would please the bottom 10%
  17. Trident Elder

All those PoK MGB buffers been getting ripped off all these years. So much unpaid for PL.
  18. Zrender Augur

I'm not talking about a "normal ruleset situation". I'm replying to the quoted post. The standard method I posted will get an entire group to level 33 rapidly, at which point the players can group with the OOG. This ruleset is likely made to prevent the PLing abuses in a "normal ruleset situation" so this will likely be the goto method of helping out. At 33 it becomes more exploitable again so we'll have to see if people are still going to spend real cash for much slower than previous afk AE powerleveling. Probably people still will but most PL zone disruption should be greatly reduced since you will only be able to kill mobs at single group speed at best and single group speed minus afk PLee slots at worst.
  19. Zrender Augur

Devs, please also make "AFK" PLing explicitly against the rules and advertising it also against the rules. You have already clarified that being afk while XPing is against the rules so why not make it clear and explicit that providing the service or using the service is against the rules? The way it is now I could literally go afk for 5 minutes with a pet and be banned (I've heard that absolutely happens) but you allow RMTers to level afk people 24/7 and spam every global chat channel that that's what they're doing.
  20. jordune Augur

Dear DBG this is your future... and why sony went to dps racing in the 1st place..
    get ready for Thousands of petitions from people who felt slighted or wronged on the FTE of a mob..
    soon u will be Hiring room loads of people Just to deal with petitions 24/7 that Will be headed your way.
    then with this many GMs for EVERY server since this is something u want implemented on every server.
    something to think about