Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Lejaun Augur

I imagine it could change current types of PLing, but PLers will adapt. The old method of outside enchanter armies might have serious trouble.
  2. Kunfo Augur

The problem with this though is everyone gets pushed to unrest and lower guk dead side to level alts (literally only there until kunark), which are already incredibly crowded, while places like solA and B, mistmoore, live-side guk, etc. become non-viable. So this is going to cause a lot of crowding into two crowded zones and even more underutilization of everywhere else, when it comes to classic druid PLing.
  3. Jakken Journeyman

Oh yeah its going to be miserable. I'm not saying it will be good, but it won't "end powerleveling", definitely not "traditional powerleveling".
    I think this server is the worst decision DBG/DP has ever made, including eqnext, freeport revamp, or rizlona
    Loscropos and Kunfo like this.
  4. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

I don't think anyone here is qualified to say what would and wouldn't be unreasonably difficult for EQ's server implementation, but the tech to check if group and raid members are already in range/zone already exists and the check could be restricted to the first attack every couple seconds. It's reasonable to suspect that this would be close to free, zones don't lag every time you loot a corpse after all. Besides, functionality is what's important, its the devs' job to figure out the implementation details.
  5. TLP Addict Augur

We should rename the server to Bobby Bick Ricky Bobby.

[IMG]

Also I think the idea that you need to use "insert illegal 3rd party program name here" to compete is an exaggeration, any modern keyboard/mouse from a name brand comes with macro creating software
  6. zenless Journeyman

that would be sweet, add in random loot and it would be amazing
  7. Makin Apprentice

This is why we desperately need DPG to answer these questions and a provide a detailed breakdown of Encounter Locking.
  8. Petkiller Styxs

You're asking for 34 weeks of Plane of Sky, a server like this would die before it even got a quarter of the way to Kunark being released. Guilds clear new content within 1-2 weeks every expansion, and unfortunately, the crowd who would rather take their time are in a slim minority. If you want to re-live the classic era and experience the vast open world at your own pace, p99 is there for you.
  9. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

Would make sense based on the gameplay the ruleset seems to be geared towards. If an item is nodrop and would be freely tradeable on a free trade server, then it should be heirloom on Oakwynd.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Back when Firiona Vie first launched the fact you could only have one character per account on that server was unique among the servers and was decried as being a major mistake and stumbling block and why the server wouldn't possibly last. When it was changed to allow multiple characters per account, that was one of the reasons given for why people should return to the server who had left the game. so... your statement just makes me laugh.
    Fallfyres and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  11. Xeris Augur

"literally nothing" and "exception" shouldn't be used in the same sentence. If literally nothing was good about it, there wouldn't be an exception xd
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  12. Jakken Journeyman

"Literally nothing except" is a perfectly valid grammatical construct
  13. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Nothing is an absolute. Absolutes are defined as unmodifiable.

Almost Never means seldom.

Literally nothing is a state that cannot exist in reality. It is an abstract. There are no exceptions for this.

School harder holmes.
  14. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

insert meme

"He's right you know"

here.
  15. Jakken Journeyman

I can see why you have so many forum posts
  16. jordune Augur

Legacy characters allow your characters on the same account on the server to receive a semi-permanent experience bonus.
    • When players reach max level (for the current era) with a character, their account receives an experience bonus for all characters on that server.
    • e.g., When a player has 1 max level character, their account receives a 10% bonus EXP buff.
    • When a player has 2 max-level characters, the buff stacks. They now get 20% bonus EXP.
      • This bonus caps at a 100% bonus.
      • When the server's level cap increases, players will lose the buff until they get one of their characters to max level again, and the bonus starts again at 10%.
    i see this working like this.. lvl up 5 mages or something ( alts on the same account ) near the end of velious to lvl 60
    luclen gets a 125% aa xp bonus so this will be an additional 60% and that 60% will disappear when pop goes live.. then get your main 65 and then the 5 mages 65 and u get the 60% back .. this bonus will disappear every time an expansion opens with a lvl limit upgrade.
    and since i plan on 3 boxing that means 15 new mages to lvl up
  17. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Yeah, I try not to sock puppet alts and people who know me in game know me here.

and I ain't lobbyng for something other than for EQ to just be EQ and for EQ to also not s4it on the best TLP going right now. Nor am I pretending to be so desperate for rando loot because I'm an RMTer because I like EQ being just a game and not someone's job other than those actually employed by the company.

I went without posting for a week onceI

Also for standing up for fair play by calling out a guild that perma camps every named in overworld nightly in raid format to sell hunter cheese.

I got silenced a week, but they also quit running players out of camps. I consider that a win.
  18. Aiona Augur

Windows 11 comes with macro's out of the box. :D
  19. Vindar Augur

The bonus should be permanent, this makes it a lot better for returning players throughout the life of the TLP.
  20. Petkiller Styxs

Well, they certainly weren't lying when they said they were being experimental this year, but man, they sure did it in all the wrong ways. I'm sure I went down the same path as all of you, waiting for month and months, hoping that something new and exciting might come with this years TLP cycle. However, upon reading this month's Producer's Letter, I left with more questions than I had arrived with. I'm sure a lot of you were thinking the same thing as me, and I'm sure a lot of you feel the opposite, so lets discuss.

Legacy characters on a TLP? This isn't live, alts are a rare occasion in TLPs, and max level ones at that. If you have an alt, its more than likely a box. How are you supposed to gain incentive off of a whole 10 percent experience bonus for an alt you didn't want to make in the first place? This legacy character bonus is something that should be implemented on Live, where it would actually matter, without a test. You can hardly call it an experimental feature because it already exists in so many games. People have been waiting a year for this server, are you telling me their idea of experimentation for Live implementation is an experience bonus hardly anybody will take advantage of?

So yeah, legacy characters are a waste of time on TLPs, but they aren't necessarily doing anything bad for the game. The main problem that, of course, everybody has with this new TLP, is the encounter locking feature, which most will mention came from games like Final Fantasy or World of Warcraft. I myself have no experience with these games, so I can't speak as to how their systems work, but the description within the letter left me with more questions than I would have thought possible. "Once the NPC is engaged, it will be locked to that character, group, or raid." so does engaged mean you can get by with pure proximity aggro, a debuff, or straight up damage? Can I run my Wizard around with a Flux staff and instantly lockdown open world targets people are waiting for? Can I kite open world dragons for as long as I want on my bard while batphoning the whole entire guild? Can I run a monopoly on highly desired items by setting up a bot to instantly lock mobs before a human can react? If I take proximity aggro and am healed by an out of group character, is the aggro then transferred onto them or is the mob locked directly to me? Ideas like this always open up a whole new can of worms that needs to be dealt with, and frankly, this isn't a good time for that.

Surely, there are other ways to stop powerleveling and encourage people to play alts, ways that don't involve introducing new forms of griefing. I mean, I'm not even sure what they're really going for here. You can't say they're stopping bot armies from locking down camps and kill-stealing from groups, because the bots will lock the camps either way. They're in it for the money, and you know they're going to find a way to exploit the game to their benefit. If all it takes is tagging the mob before you, you can bet that they'll win. So if we're thinking its to stop powerleveling like I mentioned before, then why? I've played on Yelinak since Classic and not once have I had to deal with any sort of PL group in the open world stealing my experience, at least not at a high level. Unless some serious changes and or clarification are made, and soon, this server is unfortunately going to fail. A small minority of the player-base will complain and say that buying levels is, "cheap" and "ruins the game", but the fact of the matter is a lot of people don't have all the time in the world to level their characters. If they aren't bothering you, then what's the point in getting rid of it?

I will say, the one thing that I can actually get behind when it comes to Oakwynd are the evolving benefits. The idea is somewhat intriguing, but the execution is pretty awful in my opinion. The bonus percentages are weak, and don't become super game changing until quite a ways down the line here. I mean, by the time these bonuses are even super noticeable, we're going to be on a new TLP. We're like beggars being tossed pennies on the side of the road. They'll sprinkle in a little bit of loot, a bit more experience, a pinch of fraction, and coin droppage? More coins dropping just means things are going to be priced higher anyways, I don't really see the point here? So yeah, good idea with the bonuses, but you can imagine how many players WON'T be here by the time they're released.

So Oakwynd, bonus experience for alts, presumably abusable encounter lockdown mechanics, and underwhelming bonuses that don't become noticeable until new TLPs are released. Oh yeah, on top of that, have fun with 12 more weeks of PoP aka clear Time in week 1 and then raid log. The release schedule for these TLPs has also been an issue for some time now, but fixing that seems so far out of the picture it's not even really worth discussing. It's sad to see that so many players were sitting on the edge of their seats for months, waiting to see what this years TLP cycle would throw at us, but we should have expected disappointment. After what feels like two years of missing the mark, maybe they'll realize what the players really want....

TLE PVP [IMG]
    Loscropos, Joules_Bianchi and Kunfo like this.