Please make 11th Anniversary events available during Seeds of Destruction on TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by McJumps, Dec 27, 2022.

1. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

The raid events, group missions and solo quests are all tuned for level 85 characters. The rewards are also tuned for level 85. The Raid is actually on par with Tower of Discord (final raid zone in SoD) as far as difficulty. Nothing about the rewards merits these events being tied to Underfoot.

--Phinigel, Coirnav, and Mangler were perfectly timed so that these events were live during Underfoot and they were able to complete them when they were still relevant.

--Mischief and Thorneblade are set up to be able to complete these in Veil of Alaris, while the rewards are still very useful.

--Vaniki will be perfectly timed so that The events will be available to them during SoD and Underfoot on their unlock schedule.

--Yelinak will have the events available during House of Thule, which is only 5 levels above the level of the rewards granted from the 11th anniversary events.

--Aradune and Rizlona will miss out on the 11th anniversary events by about 10 days. They will not be available again until these servers are about to hit level 105, nearly 20 levels removed from the rewards for doing these.

Nothing about the rewards from the 11th anniversary group missions or 11th anniversary raid is overpowered during the Seeds of Destruction era. Please consider this change as previous anniversary events were changed to earlier eras than they were released in.

EDIT: Upon further research, there seems to be some precedent for this change. Many of the anniversary quests that become available in Rain of Fear on TLP servers are actually tied to Call of the Forsaken, such as this quest. The items are flagged as recommended level 100 for use, because there was no level change between Rain of Fear and Call of the Forsaken, much like there is no level change between Seeds of Destruction and Underfoot.

Also available in Rain of Fear is the Anniversary Shared Task: Pirates of Timorous Deep. An extremely easy task for a group of level 100s to get a nice level 105 recommended augment. This task seems to be flagged as The Darkened Sea, yet will be available in Rain of Fear on TLP servers. More reasons that this change should be made.

As far as I can tell, most of the drops from the 11th Anniversary Raid are on par or slightly better than Group drops in Underfoot, and closer if not slightly worse than Raid dropped gear in Seeds of Destruction.

The changes that made these anniversary events available during Rain of Fear are cited in this post.
  2. Archaide New Member

I agree, waiting a year for stuff that is unusable isn't fun. :(
  3. Xhartor Augur

Mangler missed Raids, Raids, Raids! by about a week. When the event came back a year later, and aug rewards for completing either of the events weren't worth it.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. 3rdconix Elder

It's also unfortunate Fabled Planes will go useless on Aradune/Rizlona. Fabled should honestly be tied to specific expansions on TLPs because otherwise they are wasted content. We should have Fabled planes right now during SOF or the very latest during SOD. They would at least be usable then.
  5. Morrigan Bowjobs

Aradune seems to be on a time line where it just misses important cut off dates for events. Last fabled anniversary we only got up to Kunark during Omens(?) where everything from raid targets was worthless. If they even gave velious fabled at the time it could of been comparable to just under that eras raid gear. Now we will miss Planes fabled while they could of still be useful. Even other events it seems we miss the cutoff for and have to wait an entire year to unlock, missing by a month or 2. The anniversary event to get PoK port was not available even though omens, and the zone you needed to do event were available. Frostfell goblin illusion quest is tied to SoD so we will miss that by 1 expansion. Just seems like or server has a bad time line where it misses out on events by a narrow margin.
  6. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Perhaps we could have them extend the 2nd round of anniversary events by a couple of weeks if changing the unlock for the 11th anniversary is too difficult a task. To be quite honest though, the 11th anniversary events are better suited for people during the Seeds of Destruction expansion than Underfoot. The raid and missions are nearly trivialized by that time, even without a level increase, and most of the dropped gear (with the exception of augs) will not be used. It would, however, be used during Seeds.
  7. Ishbu Augur

It would be nice to have these type of events tied to eras that they are akin to rather than just a time of year. Some of these things are really only valuable to the TLP crowd as they hit certain eras and for the servers to not even be able to make use of them is kind of a shame.
    Wyora likes this.
  8. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I think that's a great idea. I don't know if the dev time for making this a reality would be more or less than the dev time needed to either extend the anniversary events or to tie them to a different era on TLP. We really need someone from CS to weigh in on this. Making anniversary events available during the correct era, regardless of time of year on TLP would go a long way towards making the TLP experience better.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I think that it would likely be too much work for too little gain and only benefit a small portion of the playerbase.
  10. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I don't pretend to know exactly what goes into making changes, but it never hurts to ask. As far as how many people will benefit from this change, I cant say. Looking at the schedule for Yelinak and possible future TLPs, I am not so sure the portion of the player-base would be that small. And if it is a simple change that doesn't involve too much work/effort, then as long as it benefits some people, it is worth the time taken.

If we are talking about making anniversary events available on TLP during the correct era regardless of the time of year, then we are talking about benefitting the entire TLP player-base as a whole, not just a small portion.
  11. Captain Video Augur

Anniversary events don't have a "correct era", they're tied to the game's anniversary. The mismatches cited in this thread are all due to the highly compressed unlock schedule on TLPs, which in turn is due entirely to player demand. The price of playing at a breakneck pace is that you're going to miss a few things. From the beginning, people have done the anniversary events because they're fun, and more recently for the achievements, not because there's some overwhelming reward item at the end. This is another thing I seriously doubt will ever happen due to coding issues and the staff time involved.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. 3rdconix Elder

It's very disingenuous to claim anniversary items aren't tuned around the era/expansion they were originally released in.
  13. Tweakfour17 Augur

Man...As early as the 2nd anniversary the reward is something useful and sought after (10 charge xp potion), there are a ton of desirable and sought after anniversary rewards including but not limited to :

Drunkard's Stein (PoK port, 30m cooldown)
    Hovercraft mount
    Ring of the Ancients (shrink click)
    Miniature Horn of Unity (mana regen buff)
    Cloth Cap (5x dragon swarm pet)
    Shiny Black Pearl (how many charm slot augs you know of?)
    Cleansing Rod (disease/poison cure clicky)
    Fungal Shrieker Spore (fungal familiar with a great buff)
    Spirit of the Lost (find path to nearest collection item)

This is something that could easily happen, and while I strongly disagree with your assertation that moving housing to earlier would be a complete code rewrite, moving an anniversary quest around would be as simple as changing when a single NPC spawns, or even manually force spawning them and then they'd just be up as long as the server/zone stayed up. They've done this in the past for NPCs that didn't spawn properly.
  14. Captain Video Augur

I didn't say they weren't useful, I said they weren't "overwhelming". Please stop misquoting me in ways that completely change what I clearly said. There are all sorts of excellent quest rewards throughout the game. It is quite possible to thoroughly enjoy the EQ experience without insisting on grabbing all the anniversary quest rewards "in era". If these rewards are such a big deal to you, play on a Live server, you'll know exactly what you can get and when, and plan your gaming accordingly. The TLP experience is NOT intended to replicate everything you might do on Live. This concept seems to be escaping a few of the most belligerent forum posters lately.

Whatever they do, it has to be hard-coded separately for every TLP, past, present and future. Every calendar is going to be a little bit different. Their entire TLP maintenance strategy has been demonstrated to revolve around the principle of automating everything and avoid all special cases. The moment you use the word "manual", you've 110% guaranteed it will not happen. Yes, they will pop an NPC on a one-time basis to fix a bug, but they won't do it on a recurring basis, there has to be a way to automate it. The automation rule they're using is... wait for it... at the anniversary.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  15. 3rdconix Elder

Can you find a new solution other than spewing the same garbage on each thread? I do play a live server. That doesn't resolve the fact that it would be fun to raid fabled planes in an era-appropriate time frame and actually use the gear they drop, rather than loot it out of novelty.

Did you know that not a single TLP to date has or will get to experience fabled Planes of Power in an era appropriate time. You say this stuff affects a same number of people. How is affecting every TLP in the game a small number of people? Seems like quite the oversight to me. I would think devs want the players to experience their content, regardless of what it is, when it provides the most value to the player. Or am I just being too logical with that?
    Are you the authority on this subject? This is purely conjecture.

Here is the literal TLP post by the COMPANY:
    It would only seem that the TLP experience IS INTENDED to replicate live. Interesting, how the turn tables. :rolleyes:
    Who gives a darn about the calendars being different? You're a terrible coder if you think this is that difficult. They can write the same code for literally all servers, even live.

They almost have the code already because they hard-code fableds/anniversary stuff not to unlock unless the server has reached a certain expansion during each anniversary time frame. Piggy-back off that code and it's a simple solution.

All the code has to do is check what is the current expansion the server is in and activate the corresponding anniversary stuff that released during that expansion. If prior don't activate. If post disable unless it is currently between X-Y date of the year. It's pretty friggin basic and you're acting like any and all code requires so much work.
  16. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

If these event do not have a "correct era" then you agree with me that they should be available during the anniversary on TLP, regardless of what expansion is current on that server, yes? If the events are only tied to the time of year, then we should be able to attempt any anniversary event during that time, including doing the 11th anniversary events during SoD on Aradune, correct?

As for your doubts that it will ever happen due to coding issues, I cited in my original post the changes they made a few years ago that made some of the anniversary events available earlier than they were on live on TLP. You can do the anniversary events that went live during CotF and TDS during RoF on TLP. I suspect you didn't bother to read that entire post, but instead wanted to just come here to play contrarian, because that's like, your thing apparently.

You bring up coding all to often in your constant rebuttal of good ideas. I have suggested many things over the years I have been playing TLP that are now active in game that I suspect you would have said the same thing about.

- Click from bags on TLP -
    - Aggro meter, remote buy from bazaar and out of combat regen -
    - Increased raid currency -

I am sure most if not all of those changes came with a bit of coding. That didn't stop them from being implemented on TLP.
  17. Captain Video Augur

I'm not the one who said it only affects a small portion of the player base. It's hard to have logical discussion when you want to criticize me for something another person said who also happens to disagree with you. What I did say, or at least try to say, was that while the quest rewards may be useful, none of them are absolutely necessary for progression.

Quest rewards and raid rewards from the anniversary events are two completely different things. The quests can be turned on whenever without impacting any other content. The fabled raids >replace< standard raids for the expansions in question and can force players and guilds who are running behind the lead guild(s) to put key progression tasks on hold until the fabled events end, because of the difficulty spike. This isn't a huge deal when the fabled raids only last four weeks out of a year-long expansion cycle. But you're asking for four weeks (or more) of fabled raids to be up in what could be an eight-week expansion window, and that will be a big problem for some guilds. And IMHO, you undercut your argument when you say that the fabled raid rewards are "on par" with other expansion content. This means that while they may very well be used if dropped, there are other ways to get items with equivalent stats.

The one and only reason fabled raids were created in the first place was to give the top guilds something more challenging to do after they had cleared all the current expansion content. That principle doesn't apply on a TLP when everything is a race. Most of the guilds affected are running around like banshees just to get all their people flagged before the server flips to the next expansion (separate issue with separate threads, but I would make the point that it makes sense to fix that first before even thinking about the status of the various fabled raids). The discussion could get ugly if you start making the trailing guilds fight fabled raids in every single modern-era TLP expansion. Or maybe that's actually the intent.

The company text you quoted describes TLP content as being "similar to" the original in-era experience. Their choice of words. You're replacing that with "replicate", which is completely different. I have never once seen any red name use the word "replicate" in any TLP discussion in the entire history of the game.
  18. 3rdconix Elder

Who are you quoting? Provide a reference. Otherwise, it's your word. Own it or quote it. Don't cry when someone calls you out on it.

I would love you to elaborate on this because the fableds released would be well after the original era. Nobody on a TLP is raiding potime as a guild when fabled potime unlocks.

Regardless, this is quite contradictory to your original statement. If anniversary content doesn't have an "era" who cares what the downstream effects are? If it's anniversary time, the content should unlock, regardless of the era because, according to you
    However, DPG did lock anniversary content behind eras so it seems your original post is yet again...wrong.

Would similar not mean that people receive anniversary bonuses during a time that corresponds to the era they were released in
    Replicate and similar are almost interchangable. Replicate is producing a near or exact copy. Similar is resembling without being identical. A near copy of something is...what's the word...similar?
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  19. Captain Video Augur

No. The alternative is to not have any anniversary events on TLPs. Period. Full stop. And that could still happen...
  20. 3rdconix Elder

No, because that's not similar at all. That's vastly different.