EverQuest Producer’s Letter October 2022

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fenthen, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Some folks dislike TLP because those servers seem to be infected with bed bugs or something. Maybe its the water over there? So much drama but it seems live servers are very chill in comparison. Live players are trying to get stuff fixed, whereas TLP players seem to want the game changed for them. :(

No idea why someone would have an issue with F2P since you cannot tell the difference if they know how to play well.
    code-zero and Nennius like this.
  2. Treeconix Elder

I won't deny that I've run into more self entitled know-it-alls or just plain hackers on TLPs, but it's very easy to avoid, especially if you just wait until like GOD, which is basically when the content is actually enjoyable anyways. Anything prior to POP is just boring trash filled with RMT and rerollers.

I don't know what you mean by Live players want the game fixed vs TLP players wanting it catered to them. TLP development is very minimal vs Live, it's very obvious. It's also obvious that TLP provides probably close to 50% revenue at this point, TLP players have just as much right to ask for changes in the game as Live.

GOD-ROF is about the best string of EQ you can get. Way more enjoyable than the rehashed fly food we get now. I hated Kunark, Velious, and most of Luclin when it was current. Why would I want to do it again on live?
    Duder likes this.
  3. p2aa Augur

The experience of your few TLP friends doesn't mean that overall TLP players spend more money than Live players. You have also the contrary, some TLP player just spending the subscription for 1 account versus Live players subscribing for many alts expansions and monthly subs.

Don't take it bad, but it looks like a rubbish claim, really.

Yeah, for a few month, before the TLP crowd moves to the new shiny server, and your TLP server becomes a ghost town with lower population that the lowest population Live server,and with which income left ?

Kinda fun to see you claim this, that's exactly what your post did, gloryfing TLP servers.
  4. Duder Augur

I'm not even sure your post warrants a reply. Aside from the fact that you are passive aggressively attack me based on my experiences. So here we go.

"The experience of your few TLP friends doesn't mean that overall TLP players spend more money than Live players. You have also the contrary, some TLP player just spending the subscription for 1 account versus Live players subscribing for many alts expansions and monthly subs."

You have no right nor ground to stand on to assume my experiences and rewrite them to fit your own narrative. My "few" friends as you stated, are hundreds of friends/guildies/acquaintances. Certainly, I have no data to suggest that ALL TLP players spend more money than ALL live players. But all the same, you stating that some TLP players play only one account, the exact same can be said for live. I saw no less boxing on TLP than I see on live. Even on Aradune which was 2-box limited, 6 box crews were just as common as they were on live right from the start. As well, there is crossover, like me who played on both live and TLP. However, I stated that I spent more on TLP than I do on live. As well, ALL of my friends/guildies who played on TLP and Live also spent more on TLP than on live. And the TLP acquaintances I spent time with were playing on TLP, not live and spending as much or more than me. My entire post referred to MY experiences, you are the one taking them as touted fact, which was never said.

"Don't take it bad, but it looks like a rubbish claim, really."

- I don't take it bad. I offered my experiences. I even stated that whether you believe it or not will not affect me (as my post was a post concerning MY experiences), yet you felt the need to post your vapid and passive aggressive comments. Looks as if my experiences leave you as the party who is "taking it bad".

"Yeah, for a few month, before the TLP crowd moves to the new shiny server, and your TLP server becomes a ghost town with lower population that the lowest population Live server,and with which income left ?"
    - You're almost correct there. But you answered your own question with proof of the opposite of your wishes. The TLP crowd moves onto the new shiny server to buy more bag packs, exp potions, mounts, heritage crates, kronos, etc. The differing gimmick each year for TLPs is what attracts the TLP jumpers to do it all over again but with a new twist. All the while last year's flavor still maintains medium populations that continue to spend money. Not to mention Free-to-Play does not exist on TLP servers so every single character you see is subbed. Also, the lowest population "Live" server is Zek (Though it is a special ruleset server, it is still "live"). Rizlona still maintains a Medium population, the same as many normal ruleset "live servers" and Mischief maintains a higher population than 60-70% of the normal ruleset live servers. If you are going to make claims, do some research first please.

EQ Server Status - EQ Resource - The Resource for your EverQuest needs

"Kinda fun to see you claim this, that's exactly what your post did, gloryfing TLP servers"

- Take it for what you will. You obviously have some sort of issue with TLP servers. My entire post was laden with statements of this being MY experience. If what I experienced made the TLP servers sound good to you, then hey, maybe you ought to try them. I do like TLP servers but I am not a TLP jumper. I play mostly on live and I will repeat what I said in my original post; I prefer live (When it works proper, when they make us good content, and when they fix more bugs than they introduce.) The entire reason I ever entertained the idea of ever playing on a TLP was that Bristlebane was an absolute dumpster fire of unplayable lag and bugs and that I was faced with two options, either quit or find somewhere else in the game to have fun. That personal crisis for me happened to occur one month after Aradune had launched so I thought "why not", I'll give it a try. And hey, look, I am still here, almost 3 years later. Having spent a lot of money in those years rather than the zero I would have spent had I quit due to the deplorable handling of the live game by the company.
  5. Treeconix Elder

And guess what? The TLP crowd that moves every year will yet again drop a few hundo on bags, potions, hero's forge mounts, etc. Each year they're paying for subs + marketplace items. How many live players are dropping hundreds on that each year? I know of very few, if any at all, considering how one can simply do hunters to acquire bags.

From my experience, I know very few TLPers that don't have at least another box. It's just like live in that regard. However, they are forced to buy a sub. I know people on live who swap to silver after a few months to save money on their boxes. TLPers don't have that option.

Regardless, you seem to have a clear bias and animosity for the TLP community. I get it, there are a lot of not-so-good individual on TLP. However, there are lots of good ones. I know many who play both on live and TLP (myself included, although I admit that Live has really dropped off my love list).

That being said, it takes just a few weeks of being on a TLP to realize the sheer amount of money that flows through those servers. Hundreds of kronos flying around, nearly all players riding around on marketplace or expansion mounts (why else would a TLPer buy an expansion if not for only the mounts? That's true investment buying an expansion they won't see for multiple years and will be free by that time regardless), hero's forge ornaments, marketplace weapon ornaments, experience potions, etc. The average TLP player, from my experience, spends a metric fudge ton more than the average live player.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

They take away from live servers plain and simple. less resources for main because they gotta keep all you tlp people happy.
    Treeconix likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

While they do take away from live servers there are good fixes that come as a result of the TLP servers one of which is agents of change which make it easier for everyone to experience older open world content.
    Zunnoab and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  8. Treeconix Elder

I've been a live player my whole life and just started playing on TLPs with Aradune. Dont be a clown. And up until mid COV my primary focus was live. Tov Cov and Tol turned the tides. Just three brutally boring expansions in a row. Had enough of being handed garbage and being told it was gold.

The amount of resources a TLP uses is minimal vs live, especially considering the revenue share is near equal. Try not to be so ignorant. Its not TLPs fault the last 4-5 expansions have been trash
  9. strongbus Augur

as someone who has been playing starting in the early 2000's I have to 100% disagree with you. All resources that are put into TLP server are resources that could and would have been better spent on live.

1. there is nothing on TLP that you can't do on live. I tried a few TLP. didn't last cause I found why waste my time on one when I could do the same stuff on a live one.

2. Because of TLP server live servers have been screwed over so many times. cause of the shared data based for spells and other stuff. any changes to that shared data base for something on TLP even if it makes TLP better can make live worse. (if they want to keep going this route they need to make tlp and live 100% split from each other in every way.)
    code-zero, Metanis and Fenthen like this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are plenty of things that you can only do on a live server because of changes made for a TLP server. Not to mention there are things that can only be experienced on a TLP server because it is not a live server with everything unlocked. While you might not like the TLP servers you can't deny that they have made some positive changes on live servers as a result of changes for them.
  11. Coagagin Guild house cat

You can look at the investor's reports and easily determine EQ is still the cash cow to the tune of 75 percent of all earned revenue.
  12. Treeconix Elder

Demonstrably false to a laughable level. EQ was on its dying bed prior to TLP. It had bottomed out population wise. TLPs injected new revenue streams which, coupled with marketplace, doubled their previous revenue levels. If anything you can thank TLP for the extra employees and cash flow injected into the game.

Secondly, you literally cannot replicate a TLP on live. Dont be naive