What does the wizard even do?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Highwizard, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

For a short time my wizard was very useful porting to BF when the elevator was busted.
    CrazyLarth and Andarriel like this.
  2. Highwizard Augur

Thats a great ideal, well spoken. You still have to play hard but you cant abuse the class like in the past. +10000 this
  3. Cryomancer New Member

Would be cool if Wizards had spells which ignore resists. As for wiz having no pets, they have temporary pets.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This idea has some merit. It also seems to align with the class lore as Wizards dedicate their lives to being single-minded spell casters:

5. Cicelee Augur

The question posed in the thread asked "What exactly does a wizard do?". I answered the question. It is irrelevant to the question how important those things are, because they are things that the class does.

Now if the OP asked "Why are wizards not relevant in 2022?" then an entirely different answer comes up. And keep in mind, I agree along with 102% of the game's population that the 2022 wizard needs some improvements, especially on short burst/burn damage. There should be no reason why I (a magician) or you (a necromancer) can do more DPS on an event like Shei, Zlandicar, Sontalak (sub 4/5 minute burn events) than a wizard. And yet here we are, with another thread about the wizard class needing improvements.
  6. Cicelee Augur

You asked what the wizard does. I answered. Was my answer wrong? Keep in mind based off of your question, it is irrelevant if the class does these things better or worse than others.

And as I mentioned in another reply, I agree that wizards need improvement. But that is not exactly what you asked in your thread title.

You should top a Shei parse. You should top a Zlandicar or Sontalak burn parse, especially compared to the other three INT casters. That needs to change IMHO.
  7. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

There is no situation other than a marginally played wizard that a magician should out dps a wizard. Never. Not one.

What a mag's pet brings to the table (in it multiple guises) outweighs any argument that they should be doing more damage than a wizard in any situation given equal level of play and support.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Highwizard Augur

Haha I am sure mages would disagree with you. Wizards need their purpose the mage steps on the wizards toes and so does the necro even on single target dps. We need our burns looked into or the devs need to decide if sustained dps is the way forward. Come next expansion we will be the weakest dps class hands down once melee get their weapons.

Hoping Aristo even cares or has time to look into the classes left behind.
    -----Cinexa----- likes this.
  9. kizant Augur

Devs miss-tuning DPS classes in this game is not self inflicted. I don't know why you keep repeating such a nonsensical idea.
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

We all agree wizards should be doing more burst dps. If rogues and berserkers can currently do opening burns of 4 or 5 million dps then so should you. If thats the miss-tuning you refer to.

I completely disagree with wizards only doing dps or only bringing dps to the table. Therefore the silly argument that they then should always be better then other dps classes. You might not be saying it but lots are.
  11. kizant Augur

Nobody is saying that wizards should out dps every other class in every possible scenario. You may stop posting now.
  12. Highwizard Augur

The message here is not to be the top DPS, the issue is the wizard does not have any scenario or fight where it has a edge...unless ofc its a highly skilled wizard vs un skilled alt dpsers. I stand by my topic of the wizard needs a purpose that the mage, necro or any class cannot step on its toes like it currently does.
  13. Cicelee Augur

Unfortunately that thought process could destroy the raid magician. Guilds would need one for mod rods and if a wizard is going to do more DPS on every event, then why have a magician? And theoretically you could have a box cast mod rods in the guild hall and not even need one on a raid.

So I disagree. Events should be situated where given equal skill and abilities, some events the necro wins. Some events the mage wins. Some events the wizard wins. We should strive for inclusiveness with classes having an opportunity to shine, not exclude classes (like what is happening now).
  14. Highwizard Augur

I agree with this to, each class should have situations that suit it well no matter if its melee or casters. The devs just need to figure out what shoes the wizard should wear.
    Sancus likes this.
  15. Petalonyx Augur

Wizards should be kings of short burst and AOE.

They should be able to ignite that mana bar and empty it in 5-20s for additional damage if they want too. Both Mana and Aggro have little to no meaning for modern wizards. And, they have like 10-20 aggro and mana management tools that go nearly unused. This is sad and broken.
  16. mmats Augur

Give them rk1-rk3 of a self buff (removable) that is a mod to base mana cost and spell damage. Something like -

1: Increase Spell Damage by X % and Increase Spell Mana Cost by Y %
  17. Sumtingwong New Member

Wizards need a fix bad they need a percentage based nuke this would scale with all content based on mobs total hit points to help fix wizards This is the easiest simplest fix ...

Not sure of mechanic to make it maybe self buff aura or have the wizard familiar give wizards a perm buff when out that gives them a 10% percent of the mobs life nuke on trash mobs plus the normal nuke damage and 1 to 2% on named this is a fixed buff perm

A throttle aa

This would add more % damage to wizard percentage based nukes based on mobs total HP.
    make it gave counters . This also reduces cast times 3 seconds and recast timers for the duration.

2% to 5% to add on damage on trash mobs 2% on named increases mana cost 10% on duration.

8% to 10% adds to the percentage nuke on trash 5% of named increase mana cost 15% on duration

15% to 20% adds to the percentage nuke on trash 8% on named increase mana cost 20% on duration

These would be three separate AA lager has shorter duration the shorter one longer ???
    letting the wizard pick the style of play? each with separate recast timer.
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I disagree with that line of reasoning. Any raid leader worth their salt is not inviting characters to a raid based on their class alone, but on the performance of that player. Magicians are a multifaceted class and players will desire to play them because of that. A well played magician shines because of that regardless of what a dps parse shows. Wizards on the other hand have one job, to deal damage. Much like the berserker, they have no other function during play. The ability to deal that damage should not come easy, but with careful resource and aggro management. If they can thread that needle, then a magician should not be out dpsing them. Talking about abilities like ports, evacs, or mod rods for that matter is red herring.

The DPS parse is not the only place to shine for a character. If someone is in a guild where the raid leader is telling quality players to sit because they are not playing the current flavor of the year, they should be checked. That is how inclusivity is reached or at least my opinion of it.
  19. Highwizard Augur

That term "flavor of the year" is real. I have seen well played mages parse 2x what a well played wizard or other average played mages. Same for necromancers....you dont see any wizard in any raid event parsing 2x higher than everyone in the raid melee included...

They need to stop having clases that are the "flavor of the year" I fear with the new expansion the wizard will be benching alot once melee classes recieve their weapon upgrades. The other INT casters will still be competitive.
  20. TommyBoy New Member

Wizzy class is dead. Move along.
    Fenthen likes this.