ToL on sale, worth it or wait?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kelset, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Sheebea Augur

ToL1 got me to 120. SHD here. I have sat in SV to gain the mission for BoA access. Never got a group before the Massive muck-up(my opinion) to the SI mob. I cannot get to SV now. @ 325000 +- , only 36K aas, ToL group visi + accessories, I can not even tank RoS with these stats. So if there is no lvl increase. I can find no reason to upgrade. I am a causal player for the last 5 yrs or so, after Raiding for some years. I gave up chasing the "Best" carrot long ago. I play to enjoy old content and Molo-ing. As such, I see no reason to upgrade. BTW. I pay 12 months in advance. I'll be around. Not happy at all with the Minuscule XP in the new zones. I like to kill stuff for xp. I got to 120 from 105 from doing Overseers. :(
    Shomen likes this.
  2. Kelset Elder

Definitely $35 for 12 months is great value $/hour played, even with multiple boxes. Not to mention the small fortune it probably saved me in my young and single days when every night in EQ saved me bar tabs and cover charges!

I think I'll save the $150 and wait for the expansion. The $26 version doesn't have the keyring and the cosmetics are just something else to keep track of.

Thanks again all!
    Wdor, Hobitses and Benito like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Good choice. :)

If your all access now I'd work on some AAs while you wait the month out for the pre-order to be available. :)
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

25% arent the sells usually 50%?
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Since they added friends and family option, it has only beed 25%, prior to that it was 50%
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

If you are 115, you should buy it, get to 120, and enjoy the next expansion on launch with everyone else. This suggestion has nothing to do with the discount.

If you are not 115 and wont be 120 by launch, it matters less.
  7. Zunnoab Augur

There's the problem of minimum task levels too. Thankfully with ToL they only made the decision of level locking seven tasks to 115+, bizarrely one of them in ME.

I could understand locking out 10+ levels below the prior max level, but having to be max level is bad since it introduces barriers to people catching up. If most of ToL not having a 115+ lock was an oversight, it was a good one. Not quite as bad as the mind numbingly terrible "you must have done progression in all prior zones" nonsense a couple expansions had, but I digress. (And obviously that's just my opinion.)

If they do make an unfortunate decision to lock everything to 120 to start, that's another reason to get ToL now
  8. Shomen New Member

Since they don't do 50% off, I never paid for a single pack anymore ONE single month before the next xpac. The most would buy for their alts the old xpac for 50% to keep their boxes up. I doubt they make the profit again they did in the past since they dropped it to 25%. There is only a very small amount of reasons to pay because of crappy 8 Euro less.... makes no real differences to me...
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am guessing the shift from 50% to 25% is in part because the sales data was showing an overwhelming number of players waiting for the 50% to upgrade for the cosmetics. (It became extremely predictable).

Ultimately, they could do:

50% off for Basic Expansion
    25% off Collector Edition
    25% off Premium Edition

I suspect the system won't allow different discount rates so they would have to manually change the price for each tier.
  10. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Yes, this is exactly right. Once the F&F came out then we all got F'd:D

I will still buy a couple tiers (prem or collect) on this sale now depending on if its for my F2P or paid accounts but I don't plan on buying the new expansion for many months.

Its ok if everyone else does all the quests, collects, raids etc that come in the new expansion but since there is no level increase then there is not a good reason to spend my money both places in this short of a time span.

So the cheaper option wins.
  11. Iven the Lunatic

Additionally a price comparison:

The only key ring that is currently available in the marketplace is the CoV Hero's Forge Key Ring. The price there is DBC 1,500. The ToL standard edition with the Teleport Key Ring does still cost $26.24 / €22,01 / £18.84 and that key ring might be added to the marketplace in december for DBC 1,500 which is as much as $12.75 - $15.00 (typically $15.00 / €13,50 / £11.25) depending on the DBC package size. That does mean that the players can save $11.24 / €8,51 / £7.59 and even more if they wait and buy the next expansion (Night of Shadows) and/or buying the Teleport Key Ring separately from the marketplace in december. It is pretty sure that it will appear there.

https://www.everquest.com/daybreak-cash
    https://www.everquest.com/expansion-content
  12. Kelset Elder

Interesting, thanks for the info!
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Last 10 years of Expansions have not been worth buying in my honest opinion, ToL excepted since I didn't play it.

I'm really glad I took a break in 2008 & played on Phinigel TLP when I came back because almost all of the expansions I played through were included with the sub.

SoD set the tone for an EQ that felt vastly more on the rails, far less sandpark & much more "play the game this way" and ToV was the final nail in the coffin for enjoying the game outside of the rail-tracks the developers put this game on.

What exists outside of the "progression system" now?
    Basically nothing as far as I am concerned.

The game has lost a big chunk of what made it so much fun in the past, it is not so much a world now it has become an interactive book with a very rigid & linear story each year to follow - the devs do their best but you can't build a house in 1 year with both arms tied behind your back & only a fifth of the people you need, let alone a world.
  14. Zunnoab Augur

I started playing the game in 2003 and every expansion had a story. If anything it's less on the rails now that flagging is at a minimum.

Smaller? Sure but considering their resources I think it's pretty good. I don't agree with everything, such as the blanket immunities to pull/gravitate spells completely negating thier purpose for no added challenge or fun, but overall I think they're doing fine.

I actually like that others may like TLP but the base game still goes on. I'm the opposite. I liked the MPG trials giving TBM currency, with the ornament being a permanent reward with the Quarm server, but I really don't want to spend time grinding for something transitory like TLP so it's just not for me.
    Hobitses and code-zero like this.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Ill just wait myself as the price for tol will cost me around 25 and the new epansion wont be much more.
    Yinla likes this.
  16. demi Augur

I'm gonna buy the collection ToL for my main account cause I like the illusions and stuff .. but will wait and buy the new expansion for my other accounts ..