How are you selling items?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vumad, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

Please don't make this into a debate about the Baz limit. It exists, it's not currently changing and it simply does not matter in context.

Okay, to the point...

I don't like the people blowing up General chat selling things. However, the other day I got my first ultra-rare, an ice incrusted shoulder. I ended up putting it on Barter for the max and it sold pretty much immediately, and I'm pretty sure to one of the people who spam the chats. So double wammy, Spam and Under valued.

My question is, how are people selling items worth over 2mil without spamming public channels?

Again, please don't baz limit and auction house or whatever debate. It doesn't matter. I'm asking for methods to sell high value items in the current EQ with minimal or no use of public channels. (By public, I mean General, things people are using for social interactions and don't want sales being spammed in)
  2. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I look at it like this.

If I see something in chat for sale then I assume the seller is going to be asking more than what it sells for in baz. Like a Krono or whatever and that is why they are using chat.

If I want to sell something for more than the baz then I link it in chat

I could care less if someone buys it from me in chat or in the baz and uses it for toilet paper on an Ogre's bottom. I got how much I wanted.

If you are selling in chat and offering it up more frequently than every 10 minutes then you go on /ignore. And double that if I see this is a hot key that you are spamming in General chat, OOC, and Newplayers chat all at the same time. One guy on Tunare has had the same items spamming for the last month at least.

When I see an item in general being offered the first thing I do is bring up baz and see if I can get it there because I am using that rule #1 where the seller thinks they can sell it for more that baz. And that is how I found most of the items that guy I mentioned was spam selling for real cheap.

Lastly I see many players using chat to sell items that are doing it because they have a Silver account which allows them in General Chat but does not allow them to sell in baz. I think the guy I mentioned above must be that because the items he is trying to sell are pretty cheap in baz.
  3. Nanilu Journeyman

I never, EVER, buy or sell using Krono. Nor would I ever pay "millions" for a game item, it's just not worth it. On TLP, where there is no bazaar yet, I use araduneauctionsDOTnet where Commons Tunnel auctions are parsed and logged. You just have to /auction your item and price once then continue to do your thing as others will see your post if searching for that item. Very easy to use.
    Wdor likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

All that is fine and dandy ^ but some people just don't give a dump and spam chat all the time. They are too busy to set up a seller/its beneath them or they want to play and sell at the same time.

But I do agree with you that if its often enough then I put them on ignore. After all do they really think that many different players are going to log in every few minutes that they need to spam it all the time? Ridiculous.

I always /ignore anyone from any other server spamming in chat on mine. One of you is in the forums all the time with a real fancy signature so I hope you read this and stop :) Oh, E.

There is no other means to sell items over the baz limit other than chat.

But I wish folks would just come clean with the price and save us all the tells back and forth about how much they are asking. They say they want to sell XXX. Then you send them a tell - how much?. You get the auto afk message. And then 15 minutes later you get a response saying well what are you offering? Pfft I don't have time to haggle, either state your price or get off the stage and let the next person play.

I do offer certain things for sale in chat but its rare and I don't spam. I always list the price I am asking to cut down on unnecessary tells. I might offer in the morning and again before I log.

I also use chat to buy stuff since I seem to get a better response than barter.
    Wdor, Bobokin, Nennius and 1 other person like this.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

I do care and I'm not asking about other people. I am asking about options for myself other than general chat.

Are there reddit, forums, facebook, etc threads?
    Does OOC work in some zones?
    Does the auction channel ever work?
    etc. etc. etc.

If the only option is general chat, then so be it, but if there are options other than general chat, I would like to know what they are.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

Keep in mind that the only reason they added the bazaar in the first place was because spam was becoming a problem.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No - none that are legal.
    Metanis likes this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

It's server dependent. On Bristlebane I don't know of any trade communications outside of /bazaar, spamming public channels or Discord.
  9. Aanuvane Augur

Ditto.
    Wdor and Nennius like this.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

I am hoping the devs will add an option to "add to ignored" in the same drop down as "mark as spam". That would make this much easier.
    Moege and Silvena like this.
  11. GrandOpener Elder

I'm pretty sure negotiating a plat-for-item exchange on third party websites would still be legal. It's only if the trade involves any sort of real-world currency that it becomes illegal.

(Not that any such site currently exists, to my knowledge.)
    Svann2 and Vumad like this.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I could have sworn there used to be an "ignore" on the drop down when you clicked on a players name instead of just "tell" or "report as spam" because I remember the only time I had to type out a players name to ignore them was if it was a cross server tell I wanted to ignore.

Perhaps they removed that "ignore" option when there was all the issue with the false spam reports and players were getting suspensions for that.
  13. Ravanta Suffer Augur

There is a finite amount of /ignore spots, and that number is far too small. Personally I don't read general chat. Many people do, and they like to. I do have chat channels that are filtered to a window I don't read, including /auction. It's handy if I am actually looking for something, but I almost never actually want to look at it.

I absolutely agree that listing items for sale in general is terrible behavior and those cretins are worse than the people on early TLP's who list items for sale in commonlands using shout or ooc.
  14. Dyna Elder

Chat is not even busy like in the old days so what would be the problem?
  15. Dyna Elder

I see offers on there all of the time, I would not consider it spamming.
    Most things offered are sold really quick.
  16. Orienn TreeHugger

I don't mind talking in general chat, but on my server there are tons of people selling that stuff all day long. So I just post what I have for sale a couple times and hope one day someone hits me up for it.
  17. Pops Racer Olde Faht

Does the /auction channel still exist?
  18. minimind The Village Idiot

1. Put items on trader.
    2. Check prices on all my trader items and undercut every other price.
    3. Announce that my trader is up in /ooc that I've undercut all prices and that resellers are welcomed.
    4. Walk away.
    5. Return a day later, deposit plat, refill trader and then forget about the trader for a month.
    Aanuvane likes this.
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

Its not terrible behavior. Its the expected result of limitations to bazaar selling. Every time its been asked to change the plat limit people say "No, just sell your stuff in general like everyone else". And the devs posted "It IS possible to change the plat limit but its not seen as enough of an issue to be worth the effort at this time". That should tell you they expect spam in /general but at this time thats not seen as a problem.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

it doesnt work since no one uses it. No seriously. You could try posting in it but no one but you will see it.
    Wdor and CatsPaws like this.