Leveling Up Should Award you with Full Health, Mana, and Endurance

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brontus, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Leveling up is one of the most satisfying and iconic events that a player can experience in EverQuest. Who doesn't love the classic DING bell sound and the message you get?

I was thinking it might be nice to have the player gain full health, mana, and endurance as an additional reward for leveling up. One very famous MMORPG that shall not be named does this as well.

The level up experience is most common in lower levels and exceedingly rarer at higher levels. So it's not like this is something that would be overpowered or game breaking due to its rarity.

In addition, this reward would be very much appreciated by untwinked low level players and new players as the lower levels can paradoxically be some of the most challenging levels. Having these additional benefits would greatly increase the exhilarating feeling of leveling up.

It's just a small thing, but I think EQ players would appreciate this small enhancement to the leveling up event and it would be a nice gesture of goodwill from the devs to the players. Thanks for listening. :)
    Stymie, B0HICA, minimind and 2 others like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It might not be common but I am sure that players would find a way to abuse it leveling up worked like that.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Typical Waring reply.
    Stymie, Evye, B0HICA and 2 others like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Pointing out that players could use the free hp/mana/endurance to gain an advantage at times such as right after a rez that restores your level? To me it seems like there are plenty of ways this could be exploited. The question I would is how many of the games that do restore hp/mana/other stats also allow you to delevel and gain that benefit again when you level.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Alright everyone, long fight coming up. Our healers and casters keep running out of mana. But not to worry, we have a solution! All healers and caster DPS please de-level to 99% xp, then when you're OOM claim an overseer reward for a free refill.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, the other very famous MMORPG doesn't have a de-levelling mechanic. But figuring out how to exploit it efficiently and forcing people to swap spell-sets midfight when "dinging" seems to be more trouble than it is worth. Not being able to use your highest level spells in the first half of the fight, is a costly disadvantage.

We already have staunch recovery, for when you are truly desperate.

At low levels I can actually see situations where a "refill ding" would be a life saver. At the end game, not so much...at least not something that can be exploited practically.

And if your winning strat requires everyone to be super close to de-levelling at the begining of each fight, and suicide every time you go oom, then you need a better strat...
    Stymie likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is a great idea. Implement this now so I can exploit full mana.
  8. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

If only there was a system that kept you from getting the same reward after completing a task. Maybe call it "Achievements" and have the "reward" auto-granted or...reward those fancy potions that already exist for refilling things.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I would settle for MERCS getting fulll health, LIKE THEY HAD WHEN THEY LEVELED

At lower levels a full heealth merc = ding 2, merc is at 7% health from full health WTF

This mechanic is so dumb for new player experience.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

We have <Bind Rush>.

I declareth <Ding Rush>.
  12. Cicelee Augur

So Vaniki players can bind in Kael near AOW. They die, they lose their level. Get a rez, they ding and respawn with full health and mana?

Yeah. No.
    Waring_McMarrin, Yinla and Nennius like this.
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Man, EQ never would’ve gotten made with people running into a single issue and declaring, “Can’t do it.”

P.S. You still lose experience on resurrections.
    Stymie, Sancus and Brontus like this.
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They just need to make that challenger perk(where you don't loose levels when you die) free and mandatory. Then it can only be "abused" once per level. :p
    Stymie and Yinla like this.
  15. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Just add in reverse vitality 'mortality' XP penalty after a death.
  16. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I don't think it's really necessary. Everyone has Staunch Recovery now.
    Ozon and Nennius like this.
  17. Brontus EQ Player Activist

As to the extremely rare possibility of people getting rezzed after losing their level and getting the health/mana/endurance bonus again, this could easily be rectified by only allowing this bonus to be enjoyed once per level. Bingo, problem solved with rudimentary scripting by the devs. Create a flag variable for every level. Once the level is reached value is TRUE. If FALSE, grant the level bonus.

A high school level coder could code this with ease.

Any other objections? :)
    Nennius likes this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No one is saying it "can't" be done, we are just pointing out the quick and easy exploits that could be done with it. If the devs wanted to do something like this they would have to take measures to ensure that it couldn't be easily exploited.
    Nennius likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think anyone is objecting to the idea itself, just noting what can be done to exploit it. Personally I think it would be a lot of work to add in an achievement for each level to do this for very little gain.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, what a silly idea.

You want full HP/mana? Rest for less than 3 minutes (assuming you were at 1%, which you weren't).

Honestly, with all the crap that needs to be addressed in this game, these are the ideas we propose to spend developer time? Sheesh.
    Nennius likes this.