Any way to stop loud, repetitive sounds like thunder and skele laughing?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bernel, May 13, 2022.

1. Bernel Augur

When it rains in EQ, the thunder seems to clap every 2 microseconds. When a necro pet is fighting, it seems to laugh every 1 microsecond. I find these repetitive sounds incredibly annoying. I just turn off my speakers so I don't have to hear them over and over and over and over. Is there any way to totally disable certain sounds like these?
    Dre. likes this.
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Join the "Everquest has sound?" group!
    Aanuvane, Bigstomp, Hobitses and 4 others like this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Bernel likes this.
  4. Chikkin Augur

True story. My 13 year old dog hears the sudden out of nowhere thunder crack in EQ and gets nervous, starts shaking, and scared. (She hates storms).

But with headphones, man, the fire-crackling EQ1 sound effect, or the swamp/feerott ambient sounds, or the rain sounds ... talk about suddenly being warped back to my no-discipline, no-responsibilities early late teen/early 20's .... whew!
    Wdor, Stymie and Bernel like this.
  5. Bernel Augur

That's one reason I'd really like to have a fix to disable specific sounds rather than not use sound at all. I like many of the ambient sounds you mention, but some of these sharp, loud sound effects that repeat every couple of seconds are way too annoying and I have to turn off sound all together.

EQ Suggestion: Allow me to have a .ini file or something where I specify the specific sound effects I never want played. I know there are EQ files that have the sound effects and config, but changing them gets overwritten on the patch so changes don't stick. I would be very happy if I could create a custom "neverplay.txt" file where I list .wav files to ignore.
    Chikkin likes this.
  6. Chikkin Augur

Yes, I've never been able to beat the immersion of EQ, a combination of many things, but I think being in your character (I still play first person view) go along with certain sounds that trigger "you're in their world now" nostalgia and moments.

Slightly off topic (you gotta watch me, give me 2 seconds and I'll derail on accident) but made me think of it, with the stuff on immersion/nostalgia.

100% on topic: I have no idea this kind of thing, hopefully someone does, or maybe you get some kind of decent reply before thread dies.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its old but think it still works

Credit: this is copied from another site and is not something I have verified

The file we need to edit is soundassets.txt. It should be in the same folder as your eqgame.exe application. Open it up and find lines #143 and #144. Change the thunder1.wav and the thunder2.wav into Unknown.

The patcher has a nasty habit of fixing any changes you've made, so next we have to bypass the patcher by using a shortcut to eqgame.exe and adding a patchme to the end of the target.

It'll look something like "C:\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest

I changed lines 321 and 322, "skelatt", to Unknown and haven't heard a peep out of my skeleton pet since.

Decent dude
    Zaray, Stymie, Metanis and 2 others like this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Sound in EQ is very lackluster compared to other games. I wish they would take it more seriously.
    It is the only game I know, where players are expected to install their own 3rd-party sound-handling and sound effects...

All important emotes should have sound-effects defined from the default installation imho
    Hobitses, Chikkin and Bernel like this.
  9. Bernel Augur

Thanks for this tip. I tried it and it works great! Now when it rains, all I hear is the soft sound of raindrops. And I removed the skeleton laugh as well. I guess lots of people are annoyed by them in the same way. This will be handy to get rid of any other bothersome sounds.

I wanted to keep using the launcher, so what I did was create a new version of soundassets.txt with my modifications in it. I have a script that checks every second if the real soundassets.txt has been updated. If it has, then it copies my modded version over it. This way I can still use the launcher like normal. I just have to wait a couple of seconds before hitting the Play button so my script can update the file.
    Stymie, CatsPaws and Metanis like this.
  10. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I remember spending hours with the necro spectre pet farming stuff. I hate spectres as much as assling druids now.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Wow you took it one step further and fixed the "can't use the patcher part" !!! Nice move!!!
  12. Chikkin Augur

Well, you guys can hate on other undead like the Skellys and Spectres I guess, but nobody better mess with the awesome Scarecrow sound.

I love when they get hit! It sounds like it really fricken hurts.
  13. Asnjas1 New Member

I'm sorry, what?

The skelly lol is an eq national treasure. When people think of eq, they think of sons in basements, trains and skelly hehe. Fine, you may remove the lol from the game but not at the cost of its soul.
    Tatanka, Chikkin and Bernel like this.
  14. Vulken9 Journeyman

Wait, does this mean I never have to hear the barking sound from wolf form again???? Best tip ever...
  15. Chikkin Augur

Edit: Added intentional typo'ed link, for skelly laugh!

5 second google found this.... which I guess shows my "hah-hah-hah" wasn't verbatim ...

h ttps://youtu.be/clc_ch7nago

~~~~~~~Original Post Below~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hah hah hah
    hah hah hah

@#$@%#% screw you skeleton! Die die die!

Hah-hah-hah-hah-hah

(Ghoul-root sound affect)

#@$#@ Damnit! #$@#

hah-hah-hah
    hah-hah-hah

".. can anybody res me in Befallen?"

Meanwhile, the only (yet important) contribution the skeleton(s) did here was the "you're so dead" laughing.
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

When I bought a sound card: " Creative Lab Audigy 2 ZS ", and my 7:1 speaker system, literally was wafting away Bee sounds next to my ear walking in G Fay.
  17. Chikkin Augur

those annoying Bixbies! (at least when I think of low levels, and East Commons for my early low-level days)
  18. Celephane Augur

this is not the word you think it is...pretty creepy
  19. Chikkin Augur

oh wow, I googled it after you said that. (haha)

.... maybe he was using voice-to-text transcription, and for some reason, perhaps his accent, the transcription used this word?

Ya that's GOTTA be it, lol haha. How else to explain that. Unless not native speaker perhaps.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I was gonna post this to be cheeky, but then thought many people may have forgotten about it, so it's the same info, but posted sincerely ;)

If you play a Druid, they get a spell in the 50s, Wake of Karana. It stops rain/snow/storms in the zone you are in. It's come in very handy for me lately, in PoK, with people triggering the Karana event storms!

Obviously, doesn't help with other sounds, but if the storms are you main complaint, this is a nice in-game way to deal with it.
    Pelrond and Bernel like this.