Devs: Please Enable "Relaxed True Box" on All TLPs in Omens+ Content

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Protocol, Apr 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burdi Augur

Truebox is the original righteous EQ play-style.
    You cheaters, boter, boxers are despised.
    Go away, move on.
    Clove and ToVNeedsPicks like this.
  2. Lumiens Augur

They had to try to come up with another way to entice people to join the new servers since they were both kinda looking to be another Miragul and Corinav.
    ToVNeedsPicks likes this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I don't see this being done, until after they have had time to see how it effects the 2 new servers. If they decide to do it at all.
    Skuz and ToVNeedsPicks like this.
  4. AngryKing Elder

uhhh Truebox didn't exist at the beginning of EQ.
  5. Mrjon3s Augur

From what I have seen when it comes to guildies not dropping a box for someone it’s usually you aren’t the class they need, you aren’t a good player, you are a good player but just a miserable person to be around, or they just want to be left alone and go at a their own pace.

Big reason I quit Phinny was my 6man group started to fall apart around DoN and had boxing been easier probably could have kept it together while people got caught up on IRL stuff.
    Seped, Zinth, Malt and 3 others like this.
  6. Sorrows New Member

When the game launched on March 16th 1999 my one roommate and I each bought a copy.

When he went to bed I pushed 2 gateway PCs next to each other and proceeded to "box" his warrior with my shaman. ON DAY ONE.

By the end of the first summer we had 5 phone lines in our house and I was multiboxing the Frenzy camp using multiple pc's on dial up.

Boxing has always existed. Idiots confuse boxing with botting. The people complaining about it are the ones who are wrong. =)
    Vumad, Zinth, code-zero and 2 others like this.
  7. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I've actually quit a TLP in later eras because running 3 PCs in Summer was making my apartment too hot.
  8. Endacer Augur

No, Bobby, bad. Not gonna get my White Dragonscale Cloak now.....
  9. Korillo Augur

What if you made one of the new TLPs relaxed truebox from the beginning? A nice middle ground.
    Zinth likes this.
  10. Keauvan Journeyman

Yes please for Mangler
    Gormgeous and Seped like this.
  11. SteamFox Augur

I play on Coirnav and think they should relax the truebox rules retroactively as well, there is little to no economy on this server and only 2 guilds, allowing the few of us who want to stick it out to the end to beat attrition w/o having to setup numerous cheap laptops is a good idea for the community as well as DBG as it will equate to more subs.
    Tarvas and Kakashi77 like this.
  12. Ragnoruk Augur

I would welcome a relaxed truebox start for Yelinak. I just want to box 1 additional character without needing to use a second computer to do it. I don't really see the problem allowing 1-2 extra accounts for people that like to play small box groups. The people running box armies are going to do it with or without truebox.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It's nice heating in the winter!

With mine and the other halfs running, the room with the comps in is always the warmest in the house. :)
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure, but it also wasn't as easy for people to be running multiple instances of EQ on a single computer at the beginning of EQ. It is unlikely that the devs have considered how boxing has evolved throughout the history of the game and people would be boxing entire groups.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Fluid Augur

I don't care for bait and switch. The original reason for Truebox was not primarily to get rid of bad actors but as a method to force grouping and PC to PC interaction.

This has morphed into 'because boxers are bad actors!'

Any excuse will serve a tyrant. When one hairbrained scheme to force people to group fails, the effort is redefined years later to be 'get rid of RMT boxers.'

Not a lot of conclusions can be drawn. I mean either Trueboxers were wrong about their premise(s) that it would create a utopian server where people would enjoy each others company so much it would live forever or it's just another failed concept that you are to proud to admit failed.

Truebox didn't stop bad behavior, it didn't stop box armies, it didn't stop RMT, it didn't lead to higher player retention, it didn't lead to one server ruling them all<sic>. It led to people with control issues doubling down on an experimental concept that in reality failed in every justification. Now they not only insist that everything must be Truebox, they insist everything including servers they no longer play on must remain Truebox. Demanding servers you don't play on must have the same rule set you have fanciful ideas about is not a good look. Only thing that should and does matter is if it helps DPG's bottom line. So far, Trueboxers are HIGH maintenance demanding a new TLP servers every year. For the most part, boxers on Rizlona and Live don't care what you do. We just don't like the insults and taking resources up that could be used for better purposes.
    Zinth likes this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Spoken like someone who did not play on Ragefire.

AoC & Truebox were absolutely a response to the issues surfaced on Ragefire, and the most grief-inducing one was armies of Magician boxes - hence the nickname "Magefire" the server earned.

On Phinigel there were of course still Mage teams, but Armies were massively reduced in scale from what was seen on Ragefire. Big armies of boxes didn't show up on Phinigel, but they did appear on Aradune after workarounds using VM gained traction.

I get that there are those who are 100% Truebox fans & 100% against it - I think both camps miss the point, thankfully it seems the devs are willing to listen & to try a 3rd path where Truebox has a place, and time.
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  17. Karliv Journeyman

Add my name to the list. Past late 70s era, remove Truebox. Heck, stepping back to the 3 man limit would be a big quality of life improvement.
    Tarvas and Gormgeous like this.
  18. Clawzzx New Member

We are begging you guys to let us spend more money on the game, all you have to do is give us relaxed true box.
    Gormgeous likes this.
  19. Truetotheblue Augur

50+ likes in 24h. If that's not a pretty clear message about how the community feels about easing Truebox restrictions later on I don't know what is. As divisive as these forums can be it's rare to see a large consensus.
  20. Clove New Member

I could get onboard with this, but a minimal relaxation. Do it during Prophecy of Ro as servers don't during Omens of War. Only reason Omens was suggested is because that's where OP's server is likely headed.

By minimal relaxation I mean 2 per box - nothing insane. It turns out, things get much better once mercenaries come along.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.