What Drives people to play on the Newest TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Haldi, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Haldi Elder

What drives people to play on the newest TLP? Rank these in order or add new thoughts. Trying to gauge people's thoughts.

1. Nostalgia
    2. Krono farming
    3. Social interaction.
    4. Boredom from other TLPs/MMO's
  2. Tyranthraxus Grognard

3. 4. 1. 2
    MMOer likes this.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Camadarie with people I've played with for years regardless what "live" server we otherwise play on. I also do this on Zek and FV.

Familiarity with progression day one. Joining live after an extended AFK is a chore. Being "on the curve" and equal-ish to everyone around you is what MMOing is about.

Wanting to be in a raid guild from classic to live.

The ability to start a perpetually relevent to progression character, with rare prenerf items that can be transferred TO any live server later, even as a returning from extended AFK player.

Experiencing content on classes i haven't played through before, like never having played a warrior above 52.

Defiant Gear and Mercenaries render some of the best, most loved parts of EQ irrelevant. You can call that nostalgia, but doing so is by way of comparison to the rest of EQ that isn't so fondly recalled by so many. You can main a group geared cleric for instance and /LFG gets /tells.
    Ileasa likes this.
  4. GRACUS Lorekeeper

2, 2, 2, 2. Most likely the real order.
    Siah and Corydon like this.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Seeing a game that I have "beaten" twisted in ways to make playing through it again fun.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Live vs TLP isn't as much a thing as people think mostly. Many of us TLP <and> live, some for Krono, to support their EQ habit. At level 65 for instance it's pretty easy to farm the 35k for a Krono on Agnarr. It's even easier when you can sell a set of player made armor, or the rings you would otherwise sell back to NPCs at a loss to up Jewelcrafting AND buy Krono enough for a year on live at the same time.
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Umul Augur

I have a different take..

While I don't "Main" on truebox server I have raided with friends on them (most recently Mangler) cause thats what friends are for.. up through DON infact until the guild fell apart.

Based on experiences on Fippy/RF/Mangler the number reason people play the new TLP is they fell behind on the one they were playing most recently. It is what it is, a new server is an even starting line for everyone (kinda) and everyone knows the content and feels comfortable.

Reason two. Their guild fell apart and its the only one that can accommodate their schedule so they gonna reroll and look for a new guild. (social interaction)

Reason Three. Everquest lvl 1-65 is a lot of people's favorite sh*t ever and its the best experience they have had or ever will in an mmo. At a point everquest changes and the unlocks quicken and I can absolutely see someone who doesn't play live or has ever experienced the game past X point being overwhelmed or more likely not interested.. especially when their favorite game is making a new server every year. (nostalgia)

Reason four. literally every game everywhere has people who farm currency, its part of the online video game experience. I don't think that the majority of TLP players are rerolling to farm krono. I could be wrong based on that EG7 financial report (yay live expansions!) but thats not a driver to me for your typical player.
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

FOMO
    Iyacc and Bobbybick like this.
  9. code-zero Augur

Several years back whenever I'd get bored I'd make Tutorial run characters just to see how fast I could get through, how much plat I could get on a single run, what different classes could do etc.

After a while I got bored of playing that game. But I'm positive that people jump to the newest server for no better reason than their character slots on the existing TLP is now full and it'd time to move on
  10. Lawyer Augur

1. 1. 1. 1.
    I enjoy the early expansions. And a lot of that content is only relevant "in era".
    Ileasa likes this.
  11. Seraphix Elder

Initially it was the nostalgia. That's still part of it, but the sheen has worn off there after all of these TLPs. Nowadays, it's mainly because there's just nothing else out there worth playing anymore than I'm not completely over. I put many years into WoW, I've played GW2, Rift, FF, SWTOR and nameless others. There's just nothing else like this game and nothing coming to take it's place that isn't years off or essentially vaporware.

Even then, I'm winding down on TLPs. The experience curve does not keep up with expansion release schedule and once you fall behind by a large enough amount, there's little reason to bust your trying to catch up, going it mostly alone. Live is enticing, but the dizzying amount of ability/hotkey bloat is just... no. I made a few heroic characters and just laughed at the insane amount of spells and abilities.
    Ileasa likes this.
  12. Loviticus Elder

I don't play the new TLP's. Usually, new TLP's come out right when the previous TLP is getting to the good stuff. Like Mischief right now. We're about to enter some really fun expansions. So I stick it out at least 1 more year. If the guild is doing well, I just keep going.

Starting over isn't fun every year. This is a loooong game.
  13. jeskola pheerie

14. Xazier Augur

100% accurate.
  15. Protagonist Tank

Wanting to play EQ without needing to box.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  16. TheTone Elder

1 3 4 2...I spent a lot of effort Krono farming on Phinny and got enough that I'm set for the near future.

The nostalgia is fading though...I think DPG is missing out on a big cash cow here adding some legit features to a TLP apart from some silly gimmicks.
  17. error Augur

The game really starts playing and feeling different after PoP or so, it's understandable that there are people who would want to just keep playing through the classic era over and over. Also TLP hopping isn't much different from the concept of seasons in games like Diablo.
  18. itiswhatitis Elder

You don't run into krono farmers as much on non truebox servers.
  19. Crabman Augur

You mean the less populated server... truebox had nothing to do with where krono farmers went, they go where the people are.

That said, I dont agree at all that krono farming is the main reason people play on new tlps. Tons of people enjoy classic-(insert early expac here). Fresh servers are fun, fresh economy, fresh characters to gear out, different classes to try. People can create different experiences for themselves too. I did the batphone, no life for a year, then I did a casual, small guild the next server. Both were enjoyable and didnt just feel like a rinse and repeat a year later.
  20. ASDAprice Lorekeeper

heard alot of chatter about a Rapiers <> Thats EQ Baby combo for the new server, starting recruiting in several channels across servers and alot of people talking about it.

Thats an interesting leadership combo for sure, but then again keon is willing to eat a ban for a good train and so is bishi... so maybe not actually.

if thats happening i would for sure come to the new server regardless of ruleset, just for the popcorn.