What expansion do you hop off the train?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Pappasalt Augur

People are deathly afraid of the content they don't know lol. It's quite silly to me since one of the main points of gaming is learning things you don't know and figuring them out. Why pvp games are adored cuz the situations you have to adjust to are dynamic and on the fly.
    HekkHekkHekk likes this.
  2. Mashef Augur

Is it possible we just don't find it fun? I can't get thru OoW and by all accounts all the 70 expansions are terrible (I personally tried POR and the one with monster missions and they are AWFUL). Why would I slog through and go back later when I can pop on the next TLP and have fun? If you skip 5 expansions you are too far behind...
  3. FranktheBank Augur

Because it doesnt end at 70? In fact, most people will freely admit the 70 slog is baddd. But TSS is a great expac. TBS is a little content light, then SoF-RoF is probably the golden age of eq. It's a TON of fun going through those expacs.

This is part of the reason people want those 4 expacs at 70 shortened/condensed.
  4. Nighthawk Lorekeeper

I would like to try those more recent expansions myself, however it would be far preferable to learn the content on a fresh progression server with other like-minded people with a healthy server population.
  5. FranktheBank Augur

I assume you are on Mischief or Aradune then? Because rerolling to the 'new' server isnt how you get to see those expacs.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Triconix Augur

1. The 70s era isn't 5 expansions, it's 4.
    2. OOW and DoDh are both very good expansions. DoN is pretty good, but not enough content in total. The only expansion that is certified meh is POR.*
    3. You can easily skip DON, DoDh, and POR, come back for TSS and not be behind at all.

*Edit: Not a single person ever stated the entire 70s era is terrible. OOW is continually ranked among the top EQ expansions of all time.
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Lorekeeper

Not if they release a ruleset that gets us closer to that era out of the gate, instead of the bread and butter classic launch.
  8. Triconix Augur

70% of a new TLP server's population has zero intention of seeing content past OOW so the belief that it would be better to start fresh with a bunch of people looking to see those expansions is just a pipe dream. A vast majority of the people you are with aren't thinking the same as you.
  9. Nighthawk Lorekeeper

It's a good pipe at least.
  10. Trevor Elder

Never played a TLP but plan on playing the next one until either a little bit after luclin launch, or through LDoN depending on the ruleset and how I'm feeling. The game changes a lot with luclin, and then a lot more with gates of discord - gates made me quit when it first came out.
  11. Triconix Augur

One that should be put down so you can get back to reality. If you really want to see that content, you're better off finding a guild on Aradune, Riz, Mischief, TB, and just playing catch up because I can guarantee you the people you hang out with on a new server will be all gone by the time GOD hits.
  12. FranktheBank Augur

Welcome to a non exclusive club. Gates on a TLP is way different and better.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  13. Tweakfour17 Augur

The best part is 2 of those 3 expansions don't even have AA to grind, so someone who quits for a couple of the 70s expacs is not nearly as far behind as they would think.
    The people playing that content are the like minded ones, not the ones who bounce yearly, pick the era you want and start on the TLP closest that.
    \
    Gates is one of the best now.
  14. FranktheBank Augur

Yep, Gates is top 5 all-time.
  15. Pappasalt Augur

For me I think GoD is like number 2 or 3 even lol. UF for me is top...that raiding is just *chefs kiss*.
  16. WokeCat Augur

Right now? Which is PoP. The last 4 times I've logged into Mischief (merge Thornblade already..?), I haven't been able to find a group. Can't even bazaar because of all of the AFK boxed toons.
  17. Poydras Augur

I wouldn't go so far as to say newer games are specifically more fun than EQ without giving later expansions a try. But without the nostalgia aspect (which can't be just be waved away, look how profitable it is) clearly newer games use better technology. That's not a minor feature either.
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Ever consider maybe its just you?
  19. Glowerss Augur

Having just leveled up a few toons in the last few weeks for fun, I can't say I share your experience.

In fact, when myself and a few buddies made a group with our guys, the biggest problem we had were finding zones that WERENT camped.

There were just pug groups *EVERYWHERE*. I mean we went into dawnshroud peaks and there was a pick open with pug groups all over both zones for crying out loud.

We've had to go to some weird very much out of the way zones to find clear exp spots. I've never ever seen a server with more people on it than Mischief has right now. It's staggering how many people are on the server.
  20. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

I probably wont TLP again unless it starts in LDoN or TSS, and that would only be for fun.

I TLP for krono to fund fun things on live. If I dont have a good feeling for where live is, I certainly dont care about TLP's.

The fundamental vision change starting in RoS/TBL has been pretty awful for a number of people.

From TSS through EoK though? Pretty damn solid.
    Treage_Imminent likes this.