What expansion do you hop off the train?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Triconix Augur

Yes, but we are talking after OOW. There's a lot of class design post OOW. It stagnating is more with what else is there really to give classes without fundamentally changing their class? And look where it's stagnating. The 20th+ expansion lol. That's a long time before anyone will notice.
    Koggar.Bertoxxulous likes this.
  2. Zipe The Healer

Hello,

I played on Phinigel from The Scars of Velious to Claws of Veeshan. After playing through all this 26 expansions, all I know is that if I ever play on a TLP again, it won't be on an era earlier than House of Thule.

I am sorry for the majority of you, who will never experience the journey past PoP or DoN!
    Ulrin, Koggar.Bertoxxulous and Aegir like this.
  3. Nighthawk Lorekeeper

I would like to experience content after OoW but there is always a huge loss of server population when a new TLP releases and you're screwed unless you box (truebox should be removed earlier) or have a static core of friends already in place that is going to stick around (which is hard as people like to roll on new TLP's).
  4. Xanathol Augur

Not having the right folks around tend to drive a lot of people off before content does.

That said, once EQ gets 'modern', it turns to trash. The partisian, hunter, etc quests needed for zone access are as thrilling as a root canal. Classes become stagnant and really screwy through expansions too (players of a class complaining? give them more dps!) The game just gets to be a dull and boring mix of simon says fights and balancing acts, while most players map tons of AAs and spells to one button they then mash repeatedly like an experimental monkey looking for the treat, all while claiming 'complexity' and 'skills'. None of this is to mention the cookie cutter gear design; no more gear decisions, just an MMORPG treadmill of blandness!
    Dre. likes this.
  5. TheTone Elder

I'm that guy who likes the Classic -> SoV grind.

I've played most of the expansions but honestly, as someone who can't play a whole lot, the ease, the knowledge, and the simplicity of the early EQ is great for me.

I normally hop off around SoL once the mindless VT raids begin - at that point, I usually stop raiding and mess around in earlier Era zones.

I also like the pre Bazaar trading scene. Call me crazy.
  6. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Don't there are better games beyond live EQ to play. That's where we are when we quit after (x) expansion on a TLP.
  7. Triconix Augur

Based on your previous responses, how can you even begin to judge how good live EQ is? You seem to have never made it further than 70 which was 17 years ago.

You seem like the kind of person who looks at sushi in disgust while also never trying it.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Played to mid 70s on FV recently defiantly not fun.
    Tried sushi long time ago thankfully I didn't enjoy. One less costly vice to worry about. :D
  9. Triconix Augur

Yeah so you have zero credibility to judge live. Mid 70s on FV? LMAO. It was already questionable seeing how half your posts are quasi snide remarks about plat and krono making as if that matters at all, but this reply clears it up nicely. Have a good one.
  10. Aegir Augur

Played from Classic till Live on Phinigel.

Doubt I'll ever do that again on a new TLP. Most TLP's after Phinigel, I've played till Kunark/Velious. I love the group/social game in the early expansions, but it's hard for me to enjoy the raiding.

It kinda swaps the further you get into expansions, group content a bit boring and repetitive, but raids are fun and challenging.

I'd prolly start up in Secrets of Faydwer - it has a good balance of ok group content for levels, grind AA and great raids.
  11. Dre. Altoholic

PoP because screw flagging - artificial zone blocks are the worst thing ever implemented in EQ.

Would much prefer if PoP/Gates/LDoN launched simultaneously.

70 in two waves - Omens then DoN/DoDH/PoR at once.

I wouldn't mind an "everything is no trade" server with 5 minute corpses to keep the Kronomongers away.
  12. Zipe The Healer

Hello,
    My post wasn't a panegyric to Live. I really don't understand why are you talking about "beyond live EQ".
    Ah, because you think that now I only play Live? Or because, for you, anything past PoP is Live? You know what, I actually don't care about what the hell were you talking about... your comments gave a clear enough impress of you to realize I won't bother :p

Good luck and have fun!
    Koggar.Bertoxxulous likes this.
  13. Zipe The Healer

Hello,

I respect your opinion. Complexity makes the game turn into trash. For others, complexity is fun because classic EQ is too minimal. Others see modern eras as the natural evolution of older eras, therefore sticking to it.

What I don't understand is why you find fights that actually make you do more than Tank and Spank a mob in a corner "boring". So, clearing Kael or VT is fun, but dealing with actual Boss mechanics, personal emotes that can wipe a raid, multiple add waves, etc... is boring?

I'll be honest, my reply isn't an attack... I just genuinely want to understand it.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Triconix Augur

Yeah, screw seb, VP, HS, ST, Emp Room, and VT.
    Roxas MM and Dre. like this.
  15. Strife Lorekeeper

It is weird how irrationally attached to only ever play the first 3-4 expansions people are. Like the internet version of Amish people. Nope we're good 1910 was the perfect level of technological advancement not one step further.

So weird bro.
    Sendori, Roxas MM, Ulrin and 2 others like this.
  16. Overcast451 Augur

It's not the expansion for me. It's the time of year.

It just so happens that it works out that usually when LDoN releases, the weather starts to warm up and I have things to do that aren't at the computer, playing games. So my time starts to get limited. I'll continue to play for a while off and on, but as I find more to do and such around the house, I play less and less. But then the expansions after LDoN require more and more time usually. Making it just not worth trying to keep up. So I'll end up cancelling my sub around April/May - because my available time for EQ is reduced, yet the active content demands MORE time. Just won't work for me.

Then later in the year September/October, I'll start hibernating inside more and new TLPs are often in Velious/Luclin. Well, the last TLP I would have been on is a few expacs past LDoN by then and has hemorrhaged many players while other players who did remain are effectively 2-3 expansions past where my character were left. So then I just roll up on the newer TLPs.

Because the progression is fun, but it's not as important as the community/social aspect of the game to me. The actual gear progression in a MMO can be summed up easily: "You need to get gear, so you can raid to get gear". Like a hamster wheel. Restarting on new TLPs is the same thing really - like a hamster wheel. It's just that various players enjoy one of the hamster wheels more than the other, lol. That's fine - it's subjective.

It's just that some people care about having "X" stats and gear from this spot or that spot and that's the reason they play.. And other care about the social/nostalgia aspect of the game and don't really care about continuing on just for the sake of bigger numbers.

So the numbers mudflation isn't really a concern with playing EQ. Do I care if I have 100,000 HP and the mobs hit for 10,000 HP compared to me having 1,000 HP and the mobs hitting for 100 HP? No. Don't really care... because at a point, it becomes more of a mudflated theory-crating game that loses the feel of a 'fantasy world' anyway.

This is why some of us would prefer a longer expansion release time. Because not HP.. Not PP.. not cash.. is our concern - our TIME is our concern. So I don't pay for a sub from May-September.. meaning when I come back to the 'new' TLP in September, I can buy a few Krono and get a solid start and don't think twice about it.

So without a longer period in each era to come back to - I'll just re-roll and I'm back to the areas I enjoy anyway. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that when PoP hits - crap like flagging and other annoying tasks start to eat up a lot of time - where you don't feel like you are progressing much.

In contrast going from 1-60 in the Classic-Luclin Eras has a solid feel of 'progressing' in the game for many. Sure, for some it's a weekend in a zone, but for others - who have limited play time, it might take a while.

I'm not necessarily saying that a server where the expansions take twice as long would be successful at all - but I think that's why many ask for that.
  17. Xanathol Augur

I find it boring because it is the repeated mechanic seemingly every raid from TSS(?) on out. Balance this mob, move this direction on that one, say the magic phrase. The first couple of times you do it, there is interest. The 50th time, it is just mundane and a nuisance.
  18. Juskov Lorekeeper

Fippy, hopped off OOW, Phinny, Luclin was it.

On Mangler I'm riding it, and I have to say that DoDH, SoF and SoD so far have been some of my favorite raids and group content. A surprising number of people seem to have returned or hopped on as well in recent months. I thought Mangler would die in PoR, but there has been a steady revival with several guilds raiding Korofax and the Tower.
  19. Dre. Altoholic

Yeah pretty much.
  20. Triconix Augur

Which I guess can be said when literally every encounter is the same in EQ until POP. I guess the whole game just sucks.

Maybe if you strip all encounters to its barebone basics they are similar, but most are fairly unique. The latest expansion has mechanics that I don't really recall being heavily used and I've done just about every raid in the game.
    Sendori and Koggar.Bertoxxulous like this.