Character transfer between accounts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Shardin, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Shardin New Member

Is this available? If not, I'd pay $20 for this. I bet there are lots of others that would pay for it as well.
    Mesil likes this.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

3. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

They use to offer this a long time ago, but they haven't offered it for several years now.
  4. Shardin New Member

5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Only if it doesn't cost more to fix and operate.
    Svann2 likes this.
  6. Angahran Augur

Too much potential for abuse.

Player 1 'sells' character X to player 2.
    Player 1 requests a character transfer to player 2's account.
    Player 2 pays player 1.
    Player 1 contacts DBG saying they were hacked and someone stole their character.
    DBG returns character and bans player 2's account.
    Player 1 offers character X for sale....

and repeat.
  7. Angahran Augur

What would be a great option would be to create a 'family' of accounts. Think of it like a real world fellowship.

If multiple accounts are paid for using the same creditcard from the same address (possibly also linked to the same email address), allow a number of characters equal to the number of accounts to log in at one time regardless of which accounts they come from.

e.g.
    The Smith family have 3 accounts between them.
    Currently they can play 1 character from account 1, 1 from account 2 and 1 from account 3.

If they link the accounts, they could play 2 characters from account 1 and 1 from account 2 or 3, or play 3 characters from account 1, 2 or 3, etc.

Basically allow a number of 'active' characters equal to the number of accounts.
    Svann2 likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not that it isn't a potential for abuse but I find it hard to believe that would be allowed to happen at all. It wouldn't be much work for Daybreak to look at the accounts and see something is up if either the names on both don't match or one is a brand new account. Even if it did happen once I don't think they would do it a second time.
    Leerah likes this.
  9. Angahran Augur

1. names could be different, say, if a family member wants to play a character they started on a parent's or siblings account.
    2. It could be a brand new account for the same reason as 1.

And to be honest, can you see DBGs 'customer support' doing anything that involves extra work ?
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

But those are going to raise red flags if all of a sudden you are claiming your account was hacked and you need to transfer the character especially if it is attempted a second time.
  11. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

When they use to allow account to account transfers they had restrictions like that in place. Both accounts had to be owned by the same person, I'm not 100% sure what all had to match as I never did it but I know that was one of the original requirements.
    Leerah likes this.
  12. Froglok Augur

Solution -- only allow it between accounts that are verifiably owned by the same Player.
  13. Froglok Augur

The cost, as I recall, was $25, when they did it. I would gladly pay $50 or more. I have a toon on one account I would like to box with a toon on the same account.
    Leerah likes this.
  14. Leerah Augur

one of my accounts has two rogues!
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Ouch. One is bad enough, but two? Just how much ale did you have to drink?
  16. Leerah Augur

I just get so excited by free heroic characters I make bad decisions!
  17. cadres Augur

Like a bunch of old-timers I play with, I've got a load of alts crowded onto a small number of accounts. It would be great to be able to move one or two from each onto a new account. I'd be paying for the move and paying for whole new accounts. There's a load of money to be made here and plenty of ways to ensure the security of the system
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Two of my six accounts were acquired from guildies. This was maybe 2002-2004. In those two cases I never knew the original email addresses so I couldn't pass that check. Still, I was able to transfer a character from one server account to another with no questions asked. So whatever criteria they were using, I guess I passed.

Edit: Was account-to-account transfer not server transfer.
  19. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Transferring from Server to Server is a completely different process than transferring a character from one account to another account. Server transfers are all automated now, buy the token in marketplace pick your server and you're done. When they use to offer the option to transfer characters from one account to another account, it was done manually by them and one of the first conditions they listed was both accounts had to be owned by the same person.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Crap, my fingers got ahead of my brain. It was account-to-account.