Shocker

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lelandod, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarok Journeyman

It doesn't. but the "no engine in car" does not relate to the current EQ problems, either.
  2. Jarok Journeyman

Actually it involves things designed specifically to fail. This concept was invented by a prominent member of the auto industry some time ago, and has bled into many other industries. You spend money on items that do this very thing. Funny you mention iPhones, because Apple has been caught doing this very thing many times.

The servers are down with a problem that was most likely NOT by design, and I am guessing they are doing whatever they can to fix it.
  3. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

Can we has the old servers back please? I'll take whatever you were using back in like 2012 because it was better than whatever has been happening the past 2 "upgrades".
    lockjaws likes this.
  4. Lelandod New Member

If you really can't figure out how that analogy is applicable, I think you have bigger issues than not being able to figure out the analogy.
  5. Nadisia Augur

Dreamweaver is probably taking a nap ... don't hit the snooze button, DW !!! :p

[IMG]

I'm kidding btw.

DW is already dressed up, wearing his super hero suit, and ready for next upcoming ... issues :

[IMG]

or maybe, because it seems to be the groundhog day forever at DPG, issue after issue :

«It's issue day at DPG ... again»

[IMG]
    lockjaws, Kialya, Herf and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lelandod New Member

Please stop, my guy. This is painful. The only REASON for planned obsolescence is because the goods need to be re-purchased if they fail. If the goods never need to be re-purchased, there's no need for you to make them obsolete as a manufacturer of said goods.

I will wait for you to go look up some more stuff on Wikipedia for your response.
  7. Jarok Journeyman

Please, explain why buying a car with no engine applies to the current EQ situation. I would love to hear this. Enlighten me!
    Broozer likes this.
  8. Nniki Augur

Updates are being posted here:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...rent-server-issues-update-may-27-2020.266870/
  9. Jarok Journeyman

Here, I pulled down what you said for you to respond to. Connect this with the current EQ issues, please.
  10. Rickoshay Journeyman

Some days at DBG/DPG are better than others:
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

If it had been a car with a poorly designed or maintained engine it could apply. Or perhaps an engine that just wasn't up to the task. In any case,

12. Lelandod New Member

Ok, ready? I'll try to water this down to a level a 3rd grader can understand. Let me know if you need it a little simpler, we'll get through this.

I pay for an Everquest subscription so I can play Everquest. I am very often not able to play Everquest. I paid for goods I am not receiving.

I bought a car with no engine believing it was a functional vehicle so I could drive. I am not able to drive. I paid for goods I am not receiving.

I know it's tough, lots of really complex logical leaps involved in that analogy. Might take a few years to decipher, let me know.
    Hnoss and Coagagin like this.
  13. Cuuthbert Augur

14. dreadlord Augur

15. Jarok Journeyman

If you bought a car with no engine, don't you think you would be able to figure out it had no engine before driving it off the lot? I mean, I would...

Something more applicable to the current situation would be purchasing a functional vehicle fitted with components that would ultimately fail, leaving you without a functioning vehicle sometime in the future that would mean you would not be able to drive said vehicle for a period of time, and even further would have to spend additional money on repairs. You might get lucky and have something covered under a warranty but knowing your luck it would be just out of the warranty timeframe.

I was not comparing the current EQ problem to planned obsolescence either... I was pointing out you were probably not aware of this ghastly practice due to your improper "no engine in car" analogy

:(
  16. Lelandod New Member

It's an analogy my guy. It's not a "what would I do in this situation" hypothetical question.

It's also an analogy I came up with in approximately 1 second so yea you know, there may be some better analogies out there.

It's not as good as "planned obsolescence" or anything, but hey we don't all go to Google and type in "something I can say that will make me sound smart" and then slap it onto a message board and hope it works.
    Hnoss likes this.
  17. Cicelee Augur

Still a bad analogy, regardless of the defense...
    Herf and Nennius like this.
  18. svann Augur

Look in the lobby for your bonus xp.
    :p
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

I just popped more popcorn. Who wants butter on it?
    minimind and Herf like this.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Is that what was on the floor? It did look vaguely familiar.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.