New EverQuest in the works can we submit ideas?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dazzler Twodirks, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Dazzler Twodirks Lorekeeper

Back when EQNext was in the works and Landmark was in beta I had attempted to send a big list to Smed. It was saved as a file but either it got deleted by accident or it was on my old pc.

I'll put a few here just in case, anyone with more feel free to add your own or feedback/additions on mine.

Couple years ago after I stopped playing EQ/EQ2/Vanguard for a bit one of my friends suggested a game called Runes of Magic.

They had a drop item from almost every creature in the game which were cards,

Each card had the creature's name, a picture, and some information.
    They went into a book each player had and were just a fun collection item.

They dropped frequently on some and pretty rare on others. People on my server just kept mailing them to me for free since i was actively filling the book.
    Then they added stat bonuses for your character to them and the freebies stopped and the market for cards skyrocketed.

Was a nice huge bonus for me tho since my HP went up about 20k.

If the next EQ is going to use Storybricks how about adding a similar system?

Cards in EQ3 could be Creatures, Special Items, Locations, NPCs ect.

Instead of dropped cards the pages fill in segments.

The book starts blank and it fills in gradually when you arrive somewhere new. con a creature, speak to an NPC,and pick up certain items.

Players can link information from their book via link like we do now.

Limit the link to say range. Any player in the vicinity would get some information.

Pictures obviously would not fill in since they haven't seen whet is being talked about.

Storybricks comes into play if there are NPCs nearby. They hear the chatter and it possibly excites or scares them and they could go to the town guards and speak with them.

Any players in range of that conversation would also get information in their books as well with the same limitation.

The guards would either ignore the NPC or head to the Captain who would report higher up until the information either starts a quest or the city would send a patrol to attempt to deal with it themselves. ( more on that in a bit )

Limiting the links to only say and not tell/shout/ooc would keep the information local.

Players passing thru later could get the information as NPCs go about their daily business chatting amongst themselves.

Taverns would be a great place to learn new things as players and NPCs mention whats been going on in the outside world.

As the book fills up and creature data completes a small bonus to killing said creature could be awarded.

If the game is going to be zoneless and starting cities spread out another idea is Influence.

Cities would grow as players assist NPCs in building their home city.
    Once the city is completed the city leaders would start taking tribute.

This could be any items picked up, crafted, or just coin.

The city puts all of the tribute towards defense and offense.

As the influence of the city grows their guard patrol area increases or they build outposts.

Any given items would be shown on the guards but would not drop if they are killed.
    Players who kill guards would get a wanted level. As it increases the city would send out guards to hunt down the player.

Players don't get told at all. They find out when the guards traveling towards them get within a certain distance. The guards would shout into the area that they are looking for whomever the offenders are.

If the players fight the guards off then when they do loot them it would be minor coin and some sort of item that is only useful as tribute to an opposing city.

If the city gains a lot of influence possibly they could try to invade other opposing cities.

Other ideas i had was linking Kaladim and Akanon underground with a gnome build rail train that short races could ride if the two cities stayed friendly.

Religious altars scattered around the world where players could pray to thier chosen diety for a minor buff.

Necromancer if in the game could get an Autopsy research skill that if you studied certain creatures they would be useable as undead version pets.

That's all I can remember, might add more later on.
  2. Vicus Augur

Many great ideas but most people in this section do not want a new Everquest, especially people who play live. Might be better posting this in the TLP section as they are more open to change.
  3. Febb Augur

What makes you think there is a new EQ in the works? Darkpaw Games is a tiny studio.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Dazzler Twodirks Lorekeeper

Was mentioned they were working on it somewhere.
    Wasn't sure where to really post it, just want the devs to see it maybe they can add something new to the game.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Who says?
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The TLP section where people want to play old eq unchanged and start over and over on new TLP so they can redo the same content over and over are more open to change?

Surely the Live servers that get new content and features all the time would be much more resistant to change.

*BAFFLED*
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Nailed it.
    Metanis likes this.
  8. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

As a TLP nerd I can confirm we really love doing the same stuff again and again.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And no diss to TLP folks intended you guys like what you like :)
  10. Marope Lorekeeper

Please, Please, Please.
    Allow for solo and small group content. Large groups and raids are almost impossible to gather up unless you are in an elite guild, which is truly unfair.
  11. code-zero Augur

I've come to the conclusion that there are a few prolific posters who never ever actually play the game but instead wait for the "perfect" TLP to be released and spend all their energy formulating what ruleset that would be
  12. Dazzler Twodirks Lorekeeper

Back like it was in 99 with EQ1.
  13. Vicus Augur

I think I was told 15+ times in one thread (we do not want an new EQ or a remastered one, we want old EQ with updates).

Only have my experiences go off of.
  14. Willydo Apprentice

They are probably coming up with a new EQ mobile game or something dumb. There will be no new EQ game for PC.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I wouldn't mind seeing a new champions of norrath/return to arms for game consoles. Im not ever gonna leave eq so I don't really see me going to a new one but a updated game for the new game machines would be nice.

Andarriel

ps been playing like 20 yrs so yea this game is part of me.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  16. GoneFission Augur

Most of the people I have heard talk about what they want, they want to be 20-something and doing EQ for the first time again. That want that sense of wonder and adventure they used to have. It’s not a bad thing to want, but it’s not coming back.

I want to do that same thing, where I spent my first day in Everquest just trying to get out of Halas. Or zoning into PoK, and when I didn’t see anyone, zoning back out before something killed me. By the fourth character I had created, I just took a swing at my GM, rather than try to find my way out of the 3rd gate of Neriak because I knew I’d respawn outside the city. You don’t get back that sense of wonder, once it’s gone.
  17. Vicus Augur

So true. But can have a similar experience in another game, just be icing if it was still in Norrath.
  18. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I think some people confuse some others who want to play like it is EQ99, as they do not want new content at all. I do not believe any of the Veterans who yearn for those first fledgling years of Everquest did not actually want new dungeons and a whole slew of new enemies to fight and some new spells, etc. I am sure they just did not want where EQ was headed for the better or for the worse.

I've said it a few times in these forums for the brief stay I have been here already and I will say it again, although in shorter order. What once made each race and class unique, including the game itself, was striped away bit by bit. Whether the team thought it was the best for players or to get potential new ones who were coming off the heels of faster MMORPGs, I do not know for certain.

Where some find fault with the old ways, many find pleasure. I see no reason why they can not make everyone happy with one true Classic EQ server and the rest can be what ever. I'd even pay to play on Classic. It is a big reason many others have left and if nothing else joined underground EQs, which is a real shame because for most of them, they would pay for Classic EQ as well. Personally I play EQ with all graphics on low including most models to try and get my fix. And since Sense Heading was maxed out and players automatically given a compass and a magic map, I hide them and drop my sword to figure out what cardinal direction I need to go.
  19. Raccoo Augur

It's more like, the people who play on Live do so because they don't want to restart from scratch, or love their characters, and their friends on their servers.
  20. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

lol, TLP people are the precise kind of people who don't like change