EQ Urban legand: Undiscovered content

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Finfan, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Finfan Augur

I've heard it said that there is still undiscovered content to be found in EQ. Is there any reliable information to back this up? I was thinking it might be fun to go look for such things.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If they told us where it was then it would not be undiscovered .........but there have been lots of posts in various forums and from devs on this. Google can help
  3. Thundersnake Elder

What was it 2018 when someone completed a quest that has been in the game since PoP? Something about having a full zone pop in HoH or PoV I can't remember.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I suppose it depends how you define "content" but for anything of consequence, it's not likely. See this reply from Prathun about uncompleted quests:
    The quest you're referring to here is Symbol of the Ducee which is a PoP era quest that was not completable until 2016, at which point Dzarn fixed it as detailed in this thread.
    Skuz and svann like this.
  5. Finfan Augur

I was thinking more along the lines of quests that nobody ever found the start of or hidden rooms that nobody ever stumbled into, etc. Sorry, I'm being influenced by an anime where the main character becomes totally overpowered in a game by doing things no normal gamer would ever do.
  6. Fredescu Augur

The zone files are all client side and there have always been tools that let you fly around them offline. You can fly through walls etc and you'd find any hidden rooms pretty quickly. Google EQ scout for an example of one that works in your browser. Anything weird and hidden would have to involve server side stuff like NPCs.
  7. Scorrpio Augur

Still looking for the rumored topless section of Maiden's Fancy in Neriak...
    Duder and Finfan like this.
  8. CrazyLarth Augur

9. Fluid Augur

There is nothing to be gained from a material standpoint other then bragging rights. If you take The Stein of Moggok quest, something I do repeatedly on every TLP server, it has been shortened to make it work because of faults with how the original quest was perceived. After searching and collecting items over much of the world, you were expected to get brewing skill up and that was to be part of the quest to get the reward. Think of it as the same as the same as the Trueshot Bow quest but with brewing skill vs fletching. There was a problem with getting the brewing portion<???> of the Stein quest to work, so it was just eliminated and another item like a Koala Nut substituted.

Originally you would also get fairly good experience for doing quests, just like in a real RPG. The original development team got religion or something and quashed that like a bug. Some of the classic leveling by completing quests has returned with HA or Gribble type quests rewarding you with experience.

So no experience, no items of value, broken quests, kind of hard to get excited by it. The rewards for some of the early quests were really bad. No joke, you would do the turn ins and the item you got was worse then the items you turned in.

I still do the quests that have value on a TLP, but they don't last past the first few expansions. I am kind of crazy about some like https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=67867 I think the Troll drops guts maybe 50% of the time, Fabian gives you the coin maybe 10% of the time, turn in thank you note gives the cloak 10% of the time so you have to find and kill the troll maybe 200 times to pick up a cloak. Not really worth it, just for shitz and giggles.
  10. Herf Augur

Years ago there was an unused firepot in Field of Bone. It was inside the base of Kurns and the only way you could see it was to be in wolf form, walk halfway up the ramp and look through the wall. But it was definitely there. Looked like the one in Seb, OT (to HS), etc, just not glowing. Rumor at the time was you could get to it via some bizarre antics at the entry to Kurns, but I never succeeded. I can however confirm via first person knowledge that it was there.
  11. Chikkin Augur

Haha! You just reminded me of the first "real quest" i ever did in EQ back in 99/2000. Aside from turning in Orc Belts from EC to FP for faciton/exp... the Freeport Militia Tunic was it. I just did it because i wanted to do quests (I was somewhere teens-20 and had not realized the game was ever-camp at the time).....it was so cool later on because it got me so much attention in the EC tunnel. This was the early days of Quellious server. For those unaware, here's more on that (probably not well-known these days) quest.

I guess it was called Reserve Militia Tunic:

Quest --> https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=134

Reward/Pictures --> https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1974
    Fluid likes this.
  12. Arborer Lorekeeper

Not to derail, but somewhat related to this are the NPCs on Kaladim Citizens faction in Butcherblock Mountains. I'm rather obsessed with these NPCs and have posted in other threads as well. There are about 15 dorfs with this faction, scattered about BBM (interestingly, NONE inside Kaladim!) They're all level 35. Or they were back when you could kill them.

I think they were originally in the game to allow high-levels to root-rot them, and most importantly for druids, to quad-kite. They were all snareable and even an old school level 35+-ish druid could burn down four of them using up most of his mana. Eventually this same strat could be used on the level 40-50 guards,requiring lots more mana and maybe finishing with a lumi staff.

For some reason many years ago, the devs made these dorfs invulnerable and while they retained their KOS faction with offending druids (which I don't think can be reversed), they don't attack and don't respond to hails. THEY DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! They might as well be trees designed to decorate Butcherblock! I suspected at some point the dev's love/hate attitude to quad-kiting went into a deep hate phase and these were permanently removed as quad fodder.

Real old-timers might remember that there used to be two Kaladim Citizens identically named Signus Boran, one located near the chessboard. Then one patch years ago they slightly changed the name of one, which later was entirely removed from the game.

I marvel at these odd dev changes which don't seem to have been needed and certainly were not made in response to a vast number of player petitions. WHY bother changing the status of these KCs? Reasons lost to time, I guess...
  13. runecrow Elder

I used to have a list of a lot of the unknown things in the game that I compiled, but I lost it in a laptop change. I recall a few:

There was a whisperling quest in Luclin that was unsolved.
    There was a gravedigger quest unsolved at Katta which involved a quest-flagged mask.
    There was a Bixie Tome flagged as a quest item in Serpent Spine which was the result of a combine in a honey-covered tome, but the use is unknown.
    There is the secondary spirit anchor craftline in Luclin which is unsolved.

There were many more but I can't remember the rest. It took me some time to scour and compile the list for my own use and so I've not gone back to redo it. But it's impossible to tell if things like these are unsolved or simply unfinished. But if I were a dev, I'd spend some free time finishing them. At the very least just pop in a couple of NPCs who take the item or resolve the quest. But knowing me they'd all end up being epic game-spanning quests.
  14. Numiko Augur

I obsessed for a long time with the prisoners in Plane of Justice, maxed out my faction on both sides and spent hours trying to get them to talk hoping to find some quest .. never did find anything got a lot of amazing lore out of it though.

but the real kicker came when a friend went to a fan fair and bought it up at a question and answer session .. the dev's admitted none of the lore found there really counted or mattered and there were no quests as the prisoners dialogues were all written by a summer help intern hired to help flesh out the zone ... :oops: