Considering miragul, need advice

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by FL!P, Jan 13, 2020.

1. FL!P Augur

Hey guys, im getting the EQ itch again and looking to start on miragul i suppose. Seems like a good server to jump on have a heroic toon and then work my way to live.

That said, I really do not feel like boxing. Im prolly doing it wrong but boxing drives me nuts. So what would be a decent class to roll on miragul and molo through? Or is that even possible at that phase of the game.

How is miragul? Dead on arrival or does it maintain a decent population. Any feedback is appreciated!
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

DOA. The 1 guild raiding on it likely won't make it to Live so if that's your goal look elsewhere, but if you just want to fart around and do 85-90 content and skip the leveling to scratch an EQ itch it may satisfy you.

I recommend anyone thinking of coming back to just wait until feb/march to see what they announce for this year's TLP editions.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

One big guild there fielding 2-3 raid teams, each team raids 2 days a week (LINK)

So far as classes go, play what you enjoy if you plan on sticking around, Priests will always be in demand for guilds also Wizards are typically very sought after as there only ever seems to be a tiny handful of them around but if you really want to know then get in touch with the guilds on the server you are looking at to ask what they are almost always short of class wise to see what they are particularly keen on recruiting.

If you aren't looking at raiding then most classes can molo okay but Beastlord, Necromancer, Enchanter, Shaman & Shadow Knight are particularly adept at it
    Yinla likes this.
  4. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you want to work to Live, Selo is my best recommendation. It's probably going to actually have a raid guild make it, and more importantly, you are less likely to burn out to overly long expansions.

The big thing going against you is if you just want to 1 box since Selo does not get Mercs until the beginning of March.

But really, I think Selo will fair the coming months better than Miragul, which never had a strong playerbase nor AOC if you expected that.

What I think is worth considering is just toying around and then see what the March anniversary brings. They're coming off a very poor TLP with Miragul, so maybe they're going to listen to the community this time and give the server something to more draw people in.
  5. Machen New Member

Clearly I agree with you that Miragul is DoA. But I'm curious, given both our histories. If the goal is to make it to Live, where would you currently look? Because I don't see much hope for any current TLP succeeding in that journey given the classic->pop treadmill DBG seems to be stuck on.
  6. FL!P Augur

Thank you guys so much for the feedback =(. Its sad, been playing this game since classic. Never got to do much passed pop. Would love to see the content and check it out. Just nothing survives it seems.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Don't let the comments here put you off trying Miragul. The server is only a couple of months old so still lots going on. While is wasn't/isn't as busy as some of the other TLP servers, but then it doesn't have the bot armys a lot of other servers have. It is your best bet (other than live) at seeing some of the later expasions you have missed without starting at level 1.

Make your heroic char and have some fun, that is why we all play after all. Mercs make it easy to do a bit of moloing for those quiet times.
  8. Aegir Augur

To be fair. There isn't much content worth revisiting more than once post-PoP up till House of Thule anyway.

A lot of those expacs now show their signs of age - and some design ideas, that just isn't fun for a TLP today. However, there were also some expansions that has aged like a vintage wine, of which I'm very happy I were able to enjoy "in era" on Phinigel.

But I guess that can be said about most eras of EverQuests long history.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I don't know. I'd really like to see some of those later eras too as I quit around the tail end of RoF. I think both Dima (OGC) and Sieger (Faceless) are approaching it with the right "Marathon not a sprint" mindset but at a certain point it's a matter of how many bodies you can keep logging in.

Selo has a slight speed "advantage", and assuming they release another expansion at the end of this year, should catch up to live in a little over 13 months. The question is, can the playerbase on it continue to maintain a blistering raid schedule to keep up or will some expansions go unbeaten in era. Not beating an expansion in era won't stop SELO from progressing but may dissuade some players from continuing on. With the way Selo unlocks expansions we may very well run into an issue where we are simply gated from raid content due to a time restriction that the Dev's don't get a chance to address in time, and I think the most likely time this would happen is late 2020 when they will presumably be working on the new expansion and have less time to devote to TLP issues in general.

Phinny will reach live just a couple months after Selo on the current timetable. From what I gather (having not played there actively since 2018) there are still more guilds clearing in-era content than there are on Selo but as to how many boxes are being utilized to accomplish that I couldn't say.

But yeah, none of that matters if Daybreak releases some Golden Child server that draws players away. Even a classic launch Mangler clone will siphon players off as some inevitably are feeling burnout but keep logging in just out of habit.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

11. Lenowill Augur

I'm still active on Miragul, having a good time, and meeting new folks on a regular basis (spent most of last night thrashing Lower House duoing with a wizard who was new to the server). I recommend Miragul as a place for someone looking to get back into the game and find a class that fits, since experimentation is easy and there's very little lost if you switch characters a time or five before finding the one you want to main at this point in your life. That was my situation two months ago, and I haven't regretted my decision in the slightest. In general, I find that the rumors of Miragul's death are exaggerated. (We have our lich phylactery after all. *cackle* ;) */lorejoke*)

If you want the option of moloing basically everything, a Shadow Knight is a tried and true option. (I recommend carrying a merc cleric in one mercenary slot and a merc wizard in another; both have their uses depending on how reliable your tanking and self-healing are against what you're currently facing.) I can say from experience that there are a lot of SKs on Miragul, so classes that synergize well with them (e.g. shaman, druid, enchanter, bard) can form great duo pairs as well.

The casual guild (with optional raiding) that I'm in (T R I B E) has active progression grouping/taskadding, exp/equipment farming, and a nicely setup Discord server with tons of info on it. If you'd like a place to hang out after giving the server a try, look me up in-game (character is Loss and I don't play any alts currently). If raiding is your thing, we're especially seeking healer mains, wizards, and at least one more enchanter.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Miragul unlocks Veil of Alaris on January 28, at which point the level cap will raise to 95. Getting in now to figure out what classes you might want to stick with is a good plan, so that you can join in for the wave of people playing through the expansion launch.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

At the very least Miragul is the perfect place to figure out what class you might enjoy most at 85+ since you can try them all out there.
  13. Kaosmos Lorekeeper

Don't listen to the nay sayers comparing Miraguls population to a classic launch.

The server is comparable to other TLP's that were in this era. There are currently two Guilds raiding, I cant speak for T R I B E since I am not a member, but LOTA Beat the expansion easily one shot all raids expect one or two.

We have two raid teams, one does mon/tue the other does thur/fri and we have "fun' raids on Saturday(which are actually fun BTW, lots of joking around etc. and play games like trivia/jeopardy while raid).

Even though we are on farm mode for the expansion we have a wait list on mon/tue raids with no boxes. As someone who played on previous TLP's I can say that most of not all guilds heavily relied on boxes to raid by this point in the server.

Overall it is a great place to make level 85 toons and try different classes to have fun and see how the differ/play.

LOTA is a really good guild with quite a few long term members that will stick around awhile. If you are looking for a place to play without all the drama, bot armies, training and general rudeness this may be the spot for you.
  14. HoodenShuklak Augur

When did calling a spade a spade become naysaying? Stating the contrary, that Miragul had a bustling launch and maintains a high population, is an absolute farce and it only serves to hurt someone who is researching coming back to EQ.

Sure Miragul has 2 raiding guilds, but that's historically very poor considering it just passed its 2-month anniversary. If the person's goal was to experience EQ up to Live, then it's hard to argue for Miragul not having some serious challenges. And nothing about that is mere naysaying.
  15. Kaosmos Lorekeeper

It is the first TLP or its type, if you compare it to other TLP's that reached this ERA it is doin ok.
  16. Lenowill Augur

I've never seen anyone claim that it had a bustling launch or a high population. That would be a lie, but we aren't saying that.

I've personally said before that Miragul has a small, niche population, and I think we can expect it to remain reasonably steady. That's still my opinion. I think it will remain steady because those of us who are playing there prefer its ruleset over other server rulesets.

To put it another way, I don't have to worry about my friends vanishing to go start at level 1 again, because I'm playing on a server that specifically attracts people who don't want to start at level 1 again.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It is also false to say that Miragul is dead. Yes it has a lower population but it is far from dead.

The guilds are strong and aren't struggling for members, so while there are less guilds they have a healthy number of raiders. Initially they would have had a harder time than other guilds getting to this stage as they hadn't done previous raid content and only had group gear, VoA should be compareable to other guilds who have made it to VoA as they now have some raid gear from HoT.

I'd expect Miragul to lose less players than other TLP servers when/if a new TLP is launched in March, mainly due to its newness and the fact it is aimed at a different kind of TLP player. Unless of course they come up with something special for the next TLP instead of the usual cut and paste.
    Lenowill likes this.
  18. Machen New Member

Judging by the steadily declining numbers in Miragul general chat, down about 10-20% each and every week since it launched, you are probably right, because there probably won't be anyone still playing on Miragul by the time the next new TLP is announced.