ToV regular xp is terrible - let's get this over with

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mintalie, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Funky Augur

not exactly that i agree or disagree... or maybe it wasn't increased from TBL... in turn with the level increase = more exp needed to level.. but mobs give the same exp # as previous expansion instead of the same %... which in turn would make it seem super slow
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Well not just seem low it would be much lower if the increase wasn't by percent. At least we can agree on that. :)

And as you noted I do the MGB sessions in PoK. I don't enjoy the missions as much as others I guess and after I level my fist six buff toons to 115 I have to go back and level another 3 and again do missions I just am not crazy about. At least the group ones. I suspect I will get all those done last the first time around.
  3. Riou EQResource

It should take about 25-40 hours to mob grind from 111-115 in Sathir's Tomb from RoS, (about 50-80 hours with never using any EXP boosting potions/Lessons)

So you are saying that you can not play an average of like 6-12 minutes a day killing mobs? Because that's about how much you'd have to do per day to reach 115 before the next expansion is out if you are going the pure grinding method
    Sokki likes this.
  4. sojero One hit wonder

There were more questions than just dps there. The question is about what is your baseline. are you killing slower, are there reasons? I was just trying to offer assistance, but if you dont want it, fine, less work or caring for me to do :)

Yes the xp based on per mob kill going to REGULAR XP is bad. XP going to AA is just as good or better per kill than last year and years before. You never talk about AA xp, have you tried AA XP during grinds?

As I have stated before in this very thread, I think the Dev crew may be running up against a database limitation, though I could be incorrect about that, and thus they are needing to shift the leveling XP to tasks/missions and the AA XP left to grinding.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

On Xegony I run MGB sessions for the server a couple times of day. I really don like doing the missions I have always preferred to grind exp first then do missions second. Just the way I have enjoyed playing. So right now to get all nine toons to 115 to provide current buffing for everyone I have been concentrating on regular exp. Especially as instances such as Kael I would be dying a few times till I got things figured out. I would spend a lot of time seeing my exp bar stand still until a task was done. Thats all fine I don't mind dying and I always try to complete things on my own. Again the way I like to play. I find now though that the relative penalty on death until I am just doing maintenance on exp is much higher then I really like.
  6. sojero One hit wonder

Yeah you have to get past that mentality for the XP in this xpac. I was the same way, I still don't have partisans/merc/saviors done for TBL, but I ran all the missions cause I wanted the lamp. This one the carrot is enough to motivate.

If you are dying a lot, than that explains the resentment. the penalties this time are harsher because the main regular XP benefit comes from the hero's and then you kinda need to do missions to recap your lost xp. My suggestion is to just run ada quest at full regular xp 1-3 times a day to re acquire any lost regular xp while you are AA grinding, that should make it a little easier on you.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. AppleSplatter Journeyman

Whenever I read "Let's get this over with" in the thread title, I know I'm in for some extreme stupidity.
    Celephane, Vumad and code-zero like this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Think of it this way. You are able to play a certain way in a game for 20 years. You have played the game without any real breaks because you enjoy playing it that way. Then a jarring change comes up. I think its great DBG tried something different I just wish they hadn't done it at the cost of being able to do a good old fashioned grind. In my opinion SOE/DBG always got themselves in trouble when they try to tell people how to have fun.

I do like the idea of exp bonus encouraging people to do progression. What I don't like is being forced into it as the only way to level. And my play style and hard coreness has changed over the years. Twenty years of playing a game is a long time. I went through periods of squeezing as much dps out of my toons as I could. Playing a hard core group game. You don't sustain that for 20 years though. One reason I still running the same guild I started in Dec 99 non stop with the guild being continuously active is I pace myself.

It all comes down to that I would like the option to grind levels but the current exp rates for regular exp make that hopeless (with how I play at least).

Does that mean I am demanding DBG change things? No. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean they have to change it. I would like them to but I am not going to rage about it. In the end it's just a game. I play more for the people strangely enough (since I box a lot), running a guild and helping create a friendly environment for people to play in that I will enjoy too. Win/Win. :)
  9. Whulfgar Augur

And you honestly think I would simply by some one asking me to ?

Do you even forumquest ?
  10. Cadira Augur

Right? If anything, it was a glowing invitation for you to jump in!
    Nniki, Mazame and Whulfgar like this.
  11. Whulfgar Augur

LMFAO
  12. Tappin Augur

It took me 24 hrs to get from 112 to 113 in ST (non stop grind), and about 30 hrs in total to get 114. Experience at 114 was essentially nothing in ST. (too many light blues).

So exactly how many experience potions were you using? The grind is not realistic for anyone playing a couple hours day and best.
  13. Tappin Augur

Riou if you did not read this post from another thread:

Incentives are typically not outliers. An outlier is an indication of a problem - something that needs be addressed.

I am all for a bit of motivation, but placing most of the expansion experience on progression achievments is not motivation, its a giant b rd to those who typically don't complete the tasks.
  14. Funky Augur

well surprise everyone and do the tasks... and if all that exp isn't motivation.. you sir are a weirdo... how about the new Eyes of Life and Decay aug? guess that's not incentive either? or back in EoK doing the achievements for that fancy forgotten gemstone or the raid cheese for nathsar diamond..

there is always an incentive.. question is... do you just enjoy being a stick in the mud? asking for a grape soda, getting a grape soda and then whining that you didn't get an orange soda.. that's all i see out of your posts
    Mazame likes this.
  15. code-zero Augur

For the last 20 years people did a variety of cheezy things whenever there was a level cap increase. I remember all the old tracks like the "Kunark Express" and the list of zones to hit when Luclin came out. As quest were introduced over time Sony realized that there were people who cherry picked the new content and recycled old quest lines to hit that next level cap.

OOM missions lost all XP, at CotF the RoF progression suddenly stopped being worth doing once you were 100.

So having over time dealt with the cheeze factor the final cheezy method was uncovered and that was "the grind". Now maybe this wouldn't be an issue except for the fact that the best way to facilitate a grind is to use some not to be named software. I'm sure that they noticed when people were flipping GMM missions so that they could kill all the mobs for XP without finishing them. So, if you want to blame someone then look to the semi-afk crews who may well be there and able to answer or maybe even chat but who really aren't playing at all
  16. Riou EQResource

How? At 114 you get around 10-12% regular exp on a lesson burn in Sathirs, unless there is a lot of people taking all the mobs, you can't mantain lesson for the full time, but that's a 5 hour level at 2x exp boost, or 10 hours without and that is the 2nd longest level to get through (only level 115->116 should be longer to do)
  17. Deathly Elder

What is exactly realistic? There are 365 days in a year.

Maybe someone can outline what a realistic amount of time is..... (hours, weeks, months, whats the goal, Max level, Max AA, both ???) We are a few weeks into this expansion, surely someone has it figured out.

While said person is at it, can you define group make up, gear make up, xp potion use, lotd use (is this even fair?), what you can and can not do based on everyone's abilities, play times, play styles, merc or real people use (smart or dumb people...). You know to have a baseline, so we can all compare it equally (think participation trophy). Then do some super computer math to figure out what will make everyone happy.

Haven't you all figured it out by now, MILEAGE VARIES. These types of threads are useless, it is impossible to "please" everyone's exp needs based on the above. I haven't seen to many people complain on my server, and only a handful of the same people complaining on the forums.
    Sokki and Funky like this.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think we are really talking about "what people are used to" People are used to being able to grind a certain amount of exp and level through grinding the exp.

And people are generally more receptive to something being added then they are to something being taken away. Adding exp bonus on achievement to encourage doing progression was a good idea. Taking away grinding exp in the current expansion was a bad idea (in my opinion).
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You are most likely right though the funny thing is I bet the afk botters are the ones least worried about the nerf to grind exp. If you can bot 24/7 while sleeping and petition trainers and get them suspended or banned any exp is good enough.

I guess on the plus side if there are fewer people grinding exp there may be fewer complaints about botters hogging camps :)
  20. Verily Tjark Augur

I never thought losing .75% of one percent of exp after a couple rezzes would ever hurt me the way it does right now. It cut me deep... sad faces all around. Not happy faces like on the Witcher's sword. (Why is his sword so happy?)