Boxing Options

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dawdle, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Dawdle Augur

Best Duo Boxs for TLP.

Mage/Mage
    Necro/Necro
    Mage/Druid
    Mage/Shm
    Druid/Chanter
    Druid/Shm
    Druid/Necro
    Chanter/Cleric
    Chanter/Shm
    Shm/Necro
    Shm/Bard
    SK/Shm
    Monk/Shm

Best 3 Box for TLP.

Mage/Mage/Mage
    Mage/Druid/Chanter
    Mage/Shm/Wizard
    Mage/Necro/Druid
    Necro/Necro/Necro
    Necro/Shm/Chanter
    Necro/Druid/Chanter
    Chanter/Druid/Wizard
    Chanter/Shm/Wizard
    Chanter/Cleric/Wizard
    Shm/SK/Chanter
    Shm/SK/Bard
    Shm/SK/Wizard
    SK/Cleric/Chanter
    Monk/Shm/Bard
    Monk/Shm/Wizard

Please feel free to add to the list. Keep in mind that a box not only should be able to stand on it's own very well but also merge with any group and not have to LFG for hours.
  2. Thez69 Elder

do one for 4 box now
  3. Dawdle Augur

That said I don't like going higher then 3. I am a Net Admin so running workstations in a way I can easily access multiple computers is my thing but if you play by the rules I find I start to lose effectiveness on a lot of groups higher then 3 boxs.

^^ I say this because just dragging a class along and not getting the most out of it isn't necessarily beneficial.

You can add a Bard melody anywhere. Not the greatest way to play a Bard but it gives you buffs to DPS and Speed. Bards also add CC and Pulling when you need it.

My OP but if you do x4 - x6 streamline things.

Mage x4 or Mage x3 plus Druid or Wizard for Ports. Druid adds Buffs, Snare and Heals, Wizard adds DPS.

Necro x4 or Necro x3 plus Druid or Wizard for Ports. Same, Druid adds Buffs, Snare and Heals. Wizard adds DPS.

Wizards become very easy to manage DPS and can be added anywhere really; same with Mages.

Starts to look like more of the same with Mage x2, Druid, Chanter.

If you want to focus on just Charm boxing then Chanter x3, Cleric.

Mage x3, Necro is interesting. Necro is pretty good puller so this group never really gets into any trouble. You can really focus on the Necro and then macro all the Mages.

Necro x2, Shm, Chanter or again toss in a Mage, Wizard or Bard instead of second Necro.

Chanter plus a Druid, Shm, or Cleric and Wizard x2. Plays the same just more DPS.

Necro x2, Druid, Chanter. However, with this I like a Mage. With mod rods the Druid plays a little more like a Shm.

SK and Monk I always go with a Bard for overhaste in any 4 box. In the case of Monk, Shm, Bard, add a Wizard with a burn macro.

There are others but again I was thinking of the best and most effective boxs on TLP. When you get up to 4 joining a group is also less of an option so then think of making groups to fill in the rest of the space in your group. A full group is the best XP bonus.

Warrior, Cleric, Shm, and Bard can play all group content from TLP through to Live. Warrior, Cleric, Shm, Bard, Mage x2 is very solid. Play the Warrior and Shm, Cleric just buffs and heals, Bard melody, Mages have macros to send in pets and nuke.

On TLP servers caster groups are easier to level and less gear dependent. Chanters and Necros get the best pets with Charm. Anyway I'm not really going further, that's my 2cents but feel free if you want to fill out the x4 through x6 best boxs for TLP.
  4. HoodenShuklak Augur

Where the hell is your CLR/BRD duo?

Groups are almost a foregone conclusion. Come raid time? Forget about it, you'll never be turned down.
  5. SearingCorpse Lorekeeper

For maximum effectiveness/dps while leveling; the duo standard is cle/enc, add a bard for triple standard, what ever else you add can be whatever, here is the best 2-5 box dps combo:

Best duo box: Cleric/Enchanter
    Best triple box: Cleric/Enchanter/Bard
    Best four box: Cleric/Enchanter/Bard/Magician
    Best five box: Cleric/Enchanter/Bard/Magician/Enchanter

once you have 6 in a group you need to decide your composition for group content like aoeing/rare hunting/raiding

Best six box(aoe): Cleric/Enchanter/Bard/Wizard/Wizard/Enchanter
    Best six box(non-aoe rare hunting): Cleric/Enchanter/Bard/Shaman/Warrior/Monk
    Best six box(melee raid): Cleric/Bard/Four Melee
    Best six box(caster raid): Cleric/Bard/Four Caster
    Best six box(tank raid): Cleric/Bard/Tank/Tank/Tank/Tank
    ostill82 likes this.
  6. orionfox Lorekeeper

If Mage/Mage is good, & Necro/Necro is good, is there any reason why Mage/Necro would not be good?

Is there a synergy I am missing?
  7. Renshu Augur

Using a cheap KVM like that will never be acceptable to 99% of players. The time it takes to switch between computers won't just drive you crazy, it will get you killed. Stay away!
  8. Candystore Augur

Mage / Mage isn't good. Mage pets on TLP have very low defense, you'll have a hard time keeping that pet alive on TLP after lvl 20 without a healer. The mage character itself tanks better than the pet.

When TLP enter Luclin there is a small boost to pets, but it's still nowhere near the amount of power pets have on live.

Mage / healer works well though.
  9. yerm Augur

A necro implies use of dots, long fights and potentially multiple at once, and/or undead wrecking. You are not petwalling unless charming. If you do charm, ability to st or just hard charm and trade owner is far preferable to mere malo. Since you are not petwalling and presumably dotting, the mage is now inefficient with its pet half wasted and poor mana regen. Nothing it does is better than what a shaman adds. The paired necro can all lich, all fd, etc.

Likewise, a mage focus implies pet tank and burst killing. A necro pet won't hold up and their spells are backwards. Charm is awkward as fd will kill your box and you lack redundant cc to their merely one mez.

The underlying issue is that necro doesn't quite pair as well outside its niche. Enc stacks well with charms, shm or dru with root rot setups, clr for vs undead. Mage stacks nicely many ways just not so perfectly with nec.
  10. yerm Augur

A mage duo can petwall. The dying pet is eaten, the alternate pet tanks while the lost one is resummoned, and the fight continues.
  11. Candystore Augur

Pets are expensive casts, and time consuming to buff and equip. You don't want to have to summon new pets all the time. You don't want to end up with a situation where the second pet acts as a buffer for the first pet that keeps dying (and it will die past lvl 20 without a healer).

Mage / Mage (or even 3x mage like suggested) is not a good combination on TLP due to the weakness of pets on TLP. Just adding more weak pets on top of a weak pet solves nothing.

Mage / Healer is a good combination. (learn to let your mage tank when the pet gets low, mage pets have weaker defense than the mage character on TLP)
  12. Dawdle Augur

I thought the video was funny so I posted it. Just pointing people in the right direction however as I stated...

"That said I don't like going higher then 3. I am a Net Admin so running workstations in a way I can easily access multiple computers is my thing but if you play by the rules I find I start to lose effectiveness on a lot of groups higher then 3 boxs."

There are programs out there, there's other stuff you can do, doesn't mean you should.

The thing that people were paying 50 dollars a year for so they could run a boxing programing is now free if you look in the right places. This program isn't even supposed to work on TLP and yet...

I'm not getting into that. I was just posting Boxs. If you want to brake EQ do that on your own.
  13. Sterling-Silverfox Elder

You can use synergy to use multiple cpu's as extended desktops and only use one mouse and keyboard.
  14. Renshu Augur

Dude, chill.

All I'm saying is, if someone wants to use a physical KVM, they shouldn't use a cheap one cause they take too dang long to switch from one computer to another. Not a viable option. Everything else you are rambling about is totally WTF. I don't know why you are insinuating that I don't play by the rules or that I am suggesting anyone else should. Save your bold text for someone else, buddy.

15. Koshk Augur

• Hold aggro (player tank, pet, charm, root)
    • Some way of healing yourselves.
    • Some way of killing your target.
    • Optional, but preferred:
      • Snare/Stun.
      • Improved mana regeneration
    Find 2+ classes that meet the above. And you're set. There are hundreds of viable permutations and combinations.
  16. orionfox Lorekeeper

LOL snare is underrated IMHO. Funny story. Last night playing a paladin I was hunting Giant bats for the fur for newbie armor quest. Bat started running by entrance to CB. Headed straight for orc camps so I let it run through and went wide so not to aggro and die. Ended up following bat around top half of zone at full run speed til it made it to the orc lift guards who killed it for me. Took almost 20 minutes till I found another one....
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Probably that statement was just to set up your story but... I still have of fond memories of the wipes cause by frogs in Seb Disco bolting at SoW speed. More recently, it's tons of fun in the SoD Kurn's Stronghold when a runner drops off the ledge onto the floor (or floors) below.
  18. Karanthal Augur

Player DPS is much higher now mobs barely get to turn before they are dead so I don't think snare is as much of an issue.

Last TLPS I have tried the following combos (with minimal raiding)

1.WAR/CLR/ENC (agnarr)
    2.WAR/SHM/MAG (phinigel)
    3.DRU/BRD/MAG (phinigel)
    4.PAL/NEC/DRU (Coirnav)

#1 Mained warrior. solid group and great charm pet DPS, only really missed not being able to port and run speed.

#2 Mained the warrior. In group gear I was never able to out tank the mage pet even though I spent more time and plat on warrior gear.

#3 Mained Druid but bard ended up needing most attention. felt the most powerful and flexible particularly in later expacs, great mobility too, I'm prone to get bored and zone jump a lot. Missed res in early expacs.

#4 Mained Pal. NEC/Dru dot DPS is very good, paladin aggro can hold even with huge dot damage. Odd combo but worked pretty well. NEC CC isn't bad but hard to box due to low duration mez.

I'm feeling DRU/MAG/ENC this time around. I've got tired of trying to gear up a tank only to find the mage pet is better. I'll miss res and CH for the charmed pet, but the DPS should be very good and I do like to port. That does give 2 cloth classes to gear up though so it might end up DRU/CLR/ENC.
  19. Vorlic Journeyman

All guild leaders are drooling right now
  20. Dawdle Augur

Buddy? Lol. All you saw was the bold text? Maybe your just getting really old. Think sometime... Don't be so self centered and strident.

As far as KVM's go I don't think you could even find anything as cheap as the one in the video I posted, it's 10 years old. I don't even own anything more then 5 years old but I burned house a number of times. Besides I get most of what I want from work...

You are clearly ignoring the fact I was just pointing people in the right direction but non of it is supported by DB on TLP's and you can do things with just KVM's that make all the boxing software out there look like crap. I like hardware better, no extra programs running in the background, but you probably shouldn't post those videos here and you can't run those set ups on TLP.

Play By The Rules means just what it means. DB's rules in regards to using a single mouse to navigate multiple computer monitors running different instances of the game over a KVM network as far as I understand is bannable. You either switch and use one at a time or setup something else.

So please tell me whats totally WTF? Don't get so apoplectic about some bold text and think it had anything to do with you. I think there's lots of viable options and that was sort of the point but if you want to share more about yourself and what you use then please be my guest. I only use a completely impractical non-viable method that's not bannable.

So yeah you stated the obvious but If you want to post picks of what you use please do. No need to get all defensive about some rules.