Truebox Box Limit?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by oldkracow, Feb 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nessirfiti Augur

At this point, I don't care what other players had in mind. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that DBG had exactly how truebox is in mind when they posted the Phinny FAQ explaining this is how you had to do it, and had a big old picture of a whole bunch of computers in a single room, pointing out that the picture is emblematic of how they intended it to work. As well as the lack of a postscript that reads something like:
    "Sadly we couldn't figure out a way to cut our subscriptions by at least 1/3 by forcing everyone to play one account per IP, but please, continue to make up hilariously outrageous lies about boxers!"
  2. Ceffener Augur

I sent you an email of what I assume they are talking about, but I agree it is not an adaptation of M Q 2.
  3. Machentoo Augur

You are still making assumptions here that are not in evidence. More likely, Daybreak did not intend any compromise at all, they just wanted a solution that would stop the petitions and end the customer service burden.
  4. LittleBrumski Augur

I was under the impression that DBG was trying to make the game more "classic" because there were so many players bi5ching about all the features that weren't. Also, it didn't help that the box armies were everywhere on RF/LJ and there were no picks or AoC's at the time. I got a toon to 50 on RF and then retired it after a week because it was clear that I wouldn't be doing anything unless I joined a zerg guild.

Now that there are picks and AoC's, I could care less how many people want to 6 box. IMO DBG should make it easier to spawn picks or let groups spawn their own pick (not that much different than spawning an instance in a later expansion)
  5. hoovadalewt Elder

This logic just doesn't make sense.

Army boxers will go where the krono market is. If DBG made another server that had a few self sufficient boxers on it, no one would play it when they can be on Mangler making bank.
  6. Quill Augur

LOL if you think the krono market is on Mangler. They've killed foci, and hardcores are going to be paying Krono hand over fist on Selo for anything worth anything in the early weeks of the server. If you're a Krono farmer, Selos is Disneyland. Mangler is going to be Chick-Fil-A on a Sunday in comparison.

Of note, this might finally make for a decent casual server in Mangler. Not that I care, not playing there. But with the hardcores clearing out and getting ready to rumble on Selos, and the majority of the Krono farmers following the money, casuals are pretty much the only people left, and it should be a unique population.
    Trox2010 likes this.
  7. hoovadalewt Elder

Dude, you don't get it. They will play both at the same time.
  8. Thomasmgp Elder

theres no real point in boxing unless you plan on going full Sam Deathwalker mode
  9. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Um I'm sorry but the you're 100% wrong they implicitly stated they didn't want people boxing full grps

Quoting the original post.
    What Is a True Box Progression Server?
    This is a server where each player will only be able to play on one EverQuest account from their computer. We want to encourage players to play with their friends on this server, and not just form groups of only their alts.

We want to encourage players to play with their friends on this server, and not just form groups of only their alts.

• Playing multiple characters at the same time from a single computer.
    • Using 3rd party software.
    • Any method to send one key press to multiple characters.
    • Unattended Gameplay: Any method that lets a character take actions while you’re not at your keyboard.
    • Playing on virtual machines.
    Are all rules stated explicitly that are rampantly being broken. I'm fairly confident DBG would've stated auto clickers also if they knew that was gonna happen. Clearly Truebox isn't working as intended and DBG should just put a number on it that "encourages playing with friends" like 2 or 3
  10. Nessirfiti Augur

If you're going to go that strictly, We'd best ban soloing, Moloing and playing with people you've never met before, it does say "We want to encourage players to play with their friends on this server, and not just form groups of only their alts. " Not a single thing there about playing with some random person you just met.

I consider a Raid and a Guild a group of friends. So, as long as one person isn't boxing a full raid, I'd consider boxing 6 well within the spirit of that particular line.

Also, aren't you the guy who claimed that Phinny was totally dead? You'll forgive me if I don't take you even a little seriously.
  11. Aurastrider Augur

Any attempt like this is only going to turn away people from the game that don't have bad intentions. You know the people that don't use programs, don't have their systems setup to use different IP addresses to get around silly things like these. What you are going to be left with are the people that are more technologically inclined, more intelligent in terms of exploiting things, and don't really care about the integrity of the game. These are your RMT people folks and this wont stop them from doing what they do. If you want to stop the mega armies ask for a no trade server (heirloom if you want to pass gear to your alts) and you will turn away a lot of RMT folks which in turn will cut down on the number of large box crews. Trying to limit the number of accounts based on an IP address is child's play. Heck even someone like myself who is not very techy could probably figure out how to bypass this in an evening.
  12. kjempff Elder

Well you can't, and not because you are not "techy", but because you can't hide your external ip. You would need to have an external ip address for every box(limit number) to work around an ip-limit.

Now, you could use your phone connection as one (and on a seperate machine), and it could work if it is stable enough, but usually with pretty high latency (up to 1 sec).
    You could buy a vps and do some ip forwarding or vpn setup on it (you would still need a separate machine per box), not to mention a vps is pretty expensive. You could not use the vps itself to play on because it uses vmware (detectable) and has no 3d gfx card to run on.
    (Just getting just a vpn service might also be problematic because they re-use their ip addresses, and those addresses could easily be ip banned because others misused them)
    There are also some who has a work dedicated vnp, so I guess that is an option too, but what is common for all these solutions are that you will need a separate machine for every external ip (I wont rule out that some linux techy can do some magic?)

Lots of work to get around ip-limiting, and you buy yourself a lot of lag. 3mulators very successfully ip-limit their players to 2 or 3. Of course they are also actively enforcing the rule, watching logs if someone gets reported on suspicion running on multiple external ip connections (like 2 on your dsl and 2 on your mobile).
    SO yeah ip-limiting is an actual working solution to limit boxes, unlike truebox.
  13. cloakerjum New Member

I wish all the anti rmt anti krono and ban them all people would just for a minute sit down and really think about the consequences.
    Fact: A LOT of players hardcore and casuals alike, WANT to “pay to win” (not judging). If they didn’t, there would be no krono farmers on a server.
    Fact: Daybreak is a business, they WANT to make money. They have the data, they have run the numbers.
    Fact: Take away the farmers and you drain a server of players who can’t equip their toons because noone is selling them fungi tunics and so on.

End result:

Now you can “hate” the farmers and the boxers and any other group that doesn’t happen to fit your purist picture of how a perfect eqplayer should behave as much as you want, and you can hate the krono trade and tradeble loot etc, as long as you realize, that those things ARE part of a symbiotic macroeconomy where you would be sitting on a pretty empty server if you removed these players or one group of these players... it’s like mosquitoes, they are annoying and you can kill them all, sure, but doing so will also kill all the birds who feed on them, which then... well it’s a chain reaction where the end result is not optimal.

(Disclaimer i have never sold a krono, i have bought a fungi tunic from bazaar once or twice)
    Now, let him who hath never bought a single item from another player throw the first stone.
  14. Quill Augur

With one 6-box(Selos) on the left hand and the other 6-box(Mangled) on the right hand? That'll be... interesting.

Pretty sure they'll end up focusing on whichever gives them the most potential for Krono, and that aint Mangled. They go where the money is, and that *will* be the hardcores trying to get any advantage they can on Selos, who likely have Krono ready and willing to burn. Just in general, you'll also have a lot more money camps given Selos is in Luclin, than Classic.. particularly given a lot of the money items in Classic on Mangled were made worthless.
  15. Jezzie Augur

Didn't you help out with the launch of Phinny? I thought it was a huge success. People that 6 boxed on Rage and LJ were soloing on Phinny and having fun doing it.
    When everybody starts 6 boxing I really feel like it's false advertising to call these servers Truebox. We've bypassed the whole purpose of Truebox in the name of RMT and krono farming.
    Truebox is devolving into what we had with Ragefire and Lockjaw (Sorry you guys that love those servers).
  16. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

A group in EQ is 2-6 people. They explicitly stated they didn't you playing in a group by yourself. That is the spirit of truebox. It's why truebox worked at the start of Phinny. Playing with other people is and has always been what EQ is supposed to be about.
  17. Aurastrider Augur

That is an opinion and not a fact. There is a reason there are group and solo missions. Heck even class design has some classes being solo friendly. There is a reason why they put in camps and content that could be done by a single player and not require a full group. Crafting is not exactly a group experience. EQ is (insert) depending on each individuals reasoning for being here.
  18. Aurastrider Augur

Its not just boxing two new servers. I have talked to players on live who will box on live and play casually on a TLP at the same time. Something like this just starts to further limit the customer bases options and eliminates paying accounts. Not a smart business idea if the idea is to sell subs.
  19. Elemenopi Augur

A week after Kunark launched on Coirnav shows this to be wrong, as Old Sebilis was chucked full of box farmers from that point onward. Combine that with the obvious box PLers in the velious era pulling the vast majority of Velks to zone, swapping picks, then repeating, shows this to be an issue on TLPs - even if it isnt nearly as big of an issue as it was on servers where multi-char on one PC was allowed (previous to the rule where needing a separate PC per character was instated).
  20. Elemenopi Augur

When the people who created the game have stated this was part of the vision, its a fact, not an opinion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.