everquest on linux updated for 2018

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Electorite, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Electorite New Member

3/15/18

## introduction ##

my previous instructions of copying over a working version of everquest on windows to linux stopped working january 2018. i am making this guide to help everyone install everquest 1 on linux, so they aren't stuck with windows 7 8 and 10 for eq1. these instructions do work, but there is a lot of work which is involved. i have everything here from start to finish, so you don't need any other walkthrough to get everquest to work in linux. all you need is a computer, an internet connection, and enough time to read all my instructions. i even have a link to my personal website with full instructions how to install the most popular linux we are using in this walkthrough.

for these instructions i'm using the most common version of the most popular linux. please adjust your instructions if you are not using linux mint, cinnamon, 64 bit, ubuntu package version (not deb package version).

this is how you start everquest, but we need to do some things before we get it to work. i want to put this first, so for advanced linux users who want to try this can do so at any time. it doesn't hurt to try this ahead of time. it probably won't work until we do the ## one time instructions ## though.

YOU MAY HAVE TO CHANGE SOME OF THE PATHS IN THESE INSTRUCTIONS (a path is /home/leck/.wine/drive_c/windows) TO MATCH WHAT YOUR PATHS ARE

## runing everquest ##

(skip to the ## one time instructions ## if this is your first time reading through)

1. the best and easiest way is to create a bash shortcut. this may or may not work. if it does not work go to option 2.
    using the 'text editor' put these on seperate lines like i have them below.

#!/bin/sh
    # if you don't have the script's cwd set, you get XML errors
    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/EverQuest
    # Bind to one core of the processor and launch.
    # The client will spew a lot of errors, especially every time
    # you target a mob, hence the stdout/stderr redirect.
    # You probably want to leave off the 2>/dev/null until you're satisfied
    # everything is working.
    echo test | xclip
    taskset -c 0 padsp wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null

save as a text file (whatever the default is, i think it's text, not unicode)
    right click on your new file and left click 'properties' . then select to allow to run as an executable. change permissions to read and write, and then click "close"
    (i don't think you need to add a bash suffix, but if it doesn't work add .bh after the file name and that should help)
    double click or right click open the new file and select 'run' . it will silently fail if it doesn't work, and it will probably not tell you why, so only wait a minute or two, and if everquest window does not pop up, it failed.

2. open a terminal and copy and paste this into the terminal. it may give you insight to why everquest is not loading.

export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/; cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/EverQuest; taskset -c 0 padsp wine eqgame.exe patchme

you will probably have to change the paths to match where everquest is on your computer.

3. i had a permission problem i could not get around. i got eq to run by using the file manager (the green thing which is titled 'file manager' but it's really the nero file manager) and navigating to the everquest folder, but before opening the everquest folder, right click on the everquest folder and left click 'open in terminal' then paste this

taskset -c 0 padsp wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null

## one time instructions ##

make sure you copied over an existing updated version of everquest from a windows computer (it can be windows 7 8 or 10, doesn't matter). there are full instructions in my other post here how to do this if you do not know how. (don't follow all of my old instructions. just use the part to copy over everquest. some of the stuff in the older post is outdated)
    (apparently my post was deleted even though older posts on the same topic on this same subforum were not deleted so i am just reposting my other post below this post. i save all my posts in documents for that very reason. see the bottom of this page for my other post reposted) (in my other post under ## what you need ## do numbers 2 and 4)
    i am not including how to use the launcher or update everquest in linux in this walkthrough. you have to literally copy over 12gb every time there is a patch, but i guarentee this will work if you follow my instructions. i suggest using an external hard drive or large flash drive, because it's faster than over a local area network or over the internet. it only takes me 20 minutes to copy the files after a patch, and everquest only patches about once a week average. PATHS AND COMMANDS IN MINT ARE CASE SENSITIVE AND DON'T USE SPACES. RENAME THE EVERQUEST FOLDER IF IT HAS A SPACE. (when copying everquest from a steam folder, mine was "everquest f2p") you can alternatively put a back slash after the space like in my paths above, but it's better not to use spaces if possible. see the bottom of this post for instructions how to patch everquest and save your settings.
    1. if you haven't updated your linux for a while, update first
    (using a terminal type apt-get update and apt-get upgrade or sudo or su before those commands (sudo apt-get update). you can try using the software updater, but i find the apt-get still works better than the gui updater which comes with linux mint)
    install WINE from the 'software manager' . while installing if wine prompts you to install anything, accept and install (like .net and gecko)
    if wine install does not work, try (sudo apt-get install wine) and if that doesn't help you, you may have corrupted mint and i suggest reinstall linux mint. sometimes you have broken dependencies and running commands in a terminal gives you all error messages.
    2. there is a web installer and a redistributable version of directx9c. you need to install the redistributable. the web installer is 3mb-10mb, and the redistributable is about 100mb. you don't need to run the web installer at all, like some instructions tell you to for everquest. the redistributable alone is good enough. (you might alternatively be able to install directx9 from winetricks or playonlinux, but i did the redistributable so you should try that first) the web installer will not work in wine anyway without tons of coaxing. the web installer is the directx included in the eq installer.
    you can find directx9c in one of the 2 links below (if these links do not work you need to find the installer yourself. i was only able to find the web installer on microsoft's website. i don't think micrsoft likes sharing the redistributable, even though the redist is compressed like an executable, so you can't look at the code without a decomplier anyway. i suggest looking outside of microsoft's website for the redistributable.)
    http://directx-9-0c.en.lo4d.com/ (this link will not work forever)
    i also uploaded the redistributable to a temporary website, because it's so useful to have it, if you have an extra 100mb of storage space and you simply want to hang on to the redistributable for the future for everquest or for other games. it will get harder and harder to find this as time goes on. https://www.sendspace.com/file/ph1cdv
    if it asks you what folder, make a folder to extract it into (you may have to extract to the system32 folder, but i think you can run it from any folder)
    here is your system 32 folder if you don't know where it is

my computer > c > windows > system32
    C:\windows\system32, or wine ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
    /home/leck/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

after extracting, run dxsetup.exe
    3. after installing you need to check if it's working, so install dxdiag from winetricks. while you are in winetricks you might as well change wine to win7. wine is winxp by default, and as of jan 2018 everquest will not work with any windows less than win7. it's a simple change, so do it in winetricks.
    wine by default uses windowsxp, but starting january 2018 everquest only works with windows7 and later, so you need to go into your wine configuration and change everything to windows 7. you can do this in winetricks. after starting winetricks click ok when the wineprefix first window appears. in the second window select the top option "install a dll or component". i forget which option making winetricks work with win7 is, but it's one of the options in the second screen. it might the be the 'install a dll or component" option or it might be one of the others. it's not difficult to find. install dxdiag and also select win7, and then you are done with winetricks for now.
    check if directx is working by one of these commands...

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/dxdiag.exe
    i think there is a way to type just dxdiag into the terminal to run it too, i don't know the exact command, but you can trial and error it or look it up

you don't need to check yes to check for network files when dxdiag opens, but it doesn't matter which you select. it probably will never successfully check, so might as well click no
    the first 3 tabs are all you need. the first and 3rd tab should look relatively error free. the second tab is the one you want to come back to, but let's skip this for now to get into everquest first. the second tab will show you missing dll dependenciest
    4. it should work now, go back to the top of this post and run everquest with one of the options. make sure you check out the ## optional fixes ## section below.

## if everquest does not work ##

if everquest still doesn't work it's probably a permission problem. let's start by making sure your linux isn't mounted as read only. this is a quick command and easy to do. type
    mount
    in a terminal and look in the parenthesis. they all should be rw in the parenthesis, not ro.
    if it's ro you need to reinstall linux a different way so it's writable. use my instructions on my website to install linux mint writably. www.lecksite.com/linux.html
    if it still doesn't work from there your linux may be corrupt and you may have to reinstall. following my instructions from my website link in the above paragraph you can reinstall linux mint and it should work as long as the installation of linux mint goes smoothly.

## optional fixes ##

i will continue to update my walkthroughs on these forums as i fix the issues with graphics and things.
    1. i have a minor graphical problem where no avatars display, only the weapons display. i think messing with avanced avatar models does allow the models to display, but i forget which ones you have to select. it's half of hte models you select, and then magically it displays all avatars, some older models. i think the real issue is you are missing some directx dlls, so go back into dxdiag on the second tab if you want to find those dlls and install. i haven't done that yet because everquest is playable with just the weapons visable. that's the only thing which doesn't work, and if you are familiar with everquest, or you are using another character at the same time, it's not an issue for most people, because you can see the full avatars with the other character on windows.
    you may be able to find what dlls you need using option 2 at the top, but i will update this post as i solve the problem. at least everquest works this way. you can install a virtual machine or dual boot windows if you have a way to install windows. my next episode on my web series is i will be showing how to back up and reinstall windows 10 successfully every time, so you can look for that if you have another computer with windows 10.
    2. there is a note at the bottom of this link how to get audio working and speed up the game by stopping the logging. once you get the game working i suggest you go back and do these things. https://www.dedoimedo.com/games/wine-directx.html . i have not gotten to these yet either. i wanted to post this as soon as i could so people who don't have windows can get into everquest.

## saving your macros, ui, and settings when 'patching' ##

i never got the launchpad and automatic update working, so you will need to copy over a working version of everquest every single time there is a patch, but at least i figured out which files to save and overwrite so you can keep all your macros and settings.
    navigate to your everquest folder in mint.

UI_charactername_server.ini (main UI settings for your character)
    character_server.ini (settings for your character's friends/ignore list, abilities, combat skills settings, and Hotbuttons
    )
    eqclient.ini (i think it's a good idea to copy this over too)
    copy some other inis if something seemed to go back the way it was before your manual "patch". look for other inis with your character name or server name

so as an example mine are
    UI_electorite_erollisi
    erollisi.ini
    eqclient.ini

see you in norrath!
    Overcast451 likes this.
  2. Electorite New Member

my other post reposted here because it was deleted for some reason

11/11/17

it took me so long to figure this out, i figured i would post a 'how to' on winehq. maybe the wine developers will implement something from my instructions into future wine versions so people don't have these problems. i can't take credit for most of this information and software, but i did add some interesting things which will help people who are trying to install everquest and encounter big problems.

i used linux mint. with these instructions it shouldn't matter which version of wine or mint, or even linux you use. these are version independent instructions. i wrote this on 11/11/17 using the newest versions of everything to give you an idea when it was made. i've used a dozen different linuxes, so trust me that the version of linux isn't terribly important. for versions different than mint (like arch) you will need to change the syntax of the commands, but it should work using the same instructions. you can even use alien to convert wine if wine is not made for your linux, but obviously alien doesn't always work.

## instructions ##
    i suggest try playonlinux first. it's a better way to install because it will update automatically. my instructions might not update everquest automatically, so you might have to redo my instructions every time there is a patch to everquest. follow these instructions here to attempt to get playonlinux working with everquest.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...eq-to-run-on-linux-with-playonlinux-pon.1185/
    if playonlinux works, great! you don't need to do anything else if playonlinux works. if playonlinux does not work proceed to step 1

## what you need ##
    1. a working version of everquest on a windows computer
    2. linux mint (or other working linux)
    3. a way to transfer over 10gb from your windows to linux

2. make sure you can log into everquest successfully on windows, and then copy the entire everquest folder to a linux computer. (to find the everquest folder, right click on the shortcut everquest created, left click properties, and "find target" or "open file location" to find the everquest folder. the title of the folder is "everquest". it's not difficult to find if you use this method. it wasn't in my program files on windows 10 oddly)

3. install wine, winetricks, and winehq on your linux computer

4. paste the everquest folder into your wine C drive. (i'm not going to go into detail how to do this, and you might not have to put it in your wine folder. you might be able to put the everquest folder in any folder on your linux, but i suggest putting it into your wine C, program files, folder (not program files 86) ). it will be somewhere like c:/program files/everquest (actually something like /home/electorite/.wine/program files/sony/everquest

5. get the eqclient.ini from the website here (or at the bottom of this post. this is too important to lose, so i am reposting it at the bottom here. it was created very well by http://wiki.project1999.com/Linux_Reference_eqclient.ini_File ) overwrite the same file in your linux everquest folder. these are special settings which get everquest to work on linux mint (and probably other linuxes)

6. open up a command prompt (terminal) and input this into the command prompt
    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/; cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/EverQuest; taskset -c 0 padsp wine eqgame.exe patchme
    you will probably have to change the paths to match where everquest is on your computer.
    if this works great! if not proceed to step 6.

7. you will see if there are any dependences needed for everquest. use winetricks to install anything you need. most people on forums seem to need some directx. it's not difficult to install the exact dependency with directx needed. make sure when you start winetricks you set the winetricks prefix. i don't know why winetricks uses this screen first and doesn't combine the screens or something. it confuses the average user. when you get to the second screen "install a windows dll or component". this is where you can install things you need to get everquest running.

## other possible problems and comments ##
    some other issues i've seen is you need to make sure permissions are enabled in your everquest folder. this wasn't a problem for me because of the way i set linux up. in some linuxes there is a real issue with permissions for files because most linuxes aren't a 'one user per computer' setup for some reason.

another possible problem is you need html support for eq to work, but i didn't have this problem either.

another possible problem is to limit the display resolution to 800x600 or smaller. again i didn't have this problem.

i figured i'd list the most common problems also after spending a long time searching the internet. i hope people link this walkthrough to important posts and even comments and improves my instructions to install everquest. the main thing i added was with the winetricks. it took me a while to figure out simply editing the libraries in the wine config was not installing the directx. i guess i should have known when there was no installation screen, but this really should be more clear in the wine config gui, or have an option to install these things in the wine gui, instead of somehow knowing you need to install these in winetricks instead.

setting wine to windows xp or windows 7 didn't seem to matter. i think setting wine to windows xp actually made eq1 run a bit faster, but maybe that's my imagination.

this seemed to be the best walkthrough to install everquest albeit more complicated than mine. if for some reason you still cannot get eq working, i suggest start here
    http://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide

eqclient.ini
    --------------
    [Defaults]
    APVOptimizations=TRUE
    DisableWestBugFix=1
    Sound=TRUE
    TextureQuality=1
    VertexShaders=0
    20PixelShaders=0
    14PixelShaders=0
    1xPixelShaders=0
    MultiPassLighting=FALSE
    UseLitBatches=FALSE
    WindowedMode=TRUE
    InspectOthers=FALSE
    Log=FALSE
    AttackOnAssist=FALSE
    ShowInspectMessage=FALSE
    LockWindows=FALSE
    InvWinLabels=TRUE
    HidePlayerWin=FALSE
    HidePartyWin=FALSE
    HideTargetWin=FALSE
    HideSpellsWin=FALSE
    HideHotboxWin=FALSE
    HideChatWin=FALSE
    HideMainMenuWin=FALSE
    ChatLineSpacing=0
    ShowDynamicLights=FALSE
    ChatFontSize=3
    ShowNamesLevel=1
    VideoMode=0
    MousePointerSpeedMod=0
    ShowSpellEffects=0
    CombatMusic=1
    MixAhead=8
    ServerFilter=1
    TrackPlayers=TRUE
    TrackSortType=NORMAL
    TrackFilterType=0
    DefaultLanguage=0
    ShowGrass=FALSE
    DisableTattoos=FALSE
    UseArrowCamera=FALSE
    NetStat=TRUE
    DoProperTinting=FALSE
    Sound44k=0
    SpeakerType=0
    LoadSocialAnimations=TRUE
    AllLuclinPcModelsOff=FALSE
    UseLuclinHumanMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinHumanFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinBarbarianMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinBarbarianFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinEruditeMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinEruditeFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinWoodElfMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinWoodElfFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinHighElfMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinHighElfFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinDarkElfMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinDarkElfFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinHalfElfMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinHalfElfFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinDwarfMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinDwarfFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinTrollMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinTrollFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinOgreMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinOgreFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinHalflingMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinHalflingFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinGnomeMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinGnomeFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinIksarMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinIksarFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinVahShirMale=FALSE
    UseLuclinVahShirFemale=FALSE
    UseLuclinElementals=FALSE
    LoadVeliousArmorsWithLuclin=FALSE
    DefaultChannel=8
    LastCharSel=3
    WindowedModeXOffset=0
    WindowedModeYOffset=0
    AllowResize=1
    Maximized=0
    RestoredXOffset=174927920
    RestoredYOffset=544108393
    RestoredWidth=1414864954
    RestoredHeight=1748315459
    AlwaysOnTop=0
    Music=0
    SoundVolume=10
    Gamma=11
    SpellParticleOpacity=1.000000
    EnvironmentParticleOpacity=1.000000
    ActorParticleOpacity=0.400000
    ShowAlarmWindow=false
    TextureCache=FALSE
    SkyCubemapSize=2
    SkyUpdateInterval=60000
    TerrainTextureQuality=1
    SpellParticleDensity=0.000000
    EnvironmentParticleDensity=0.000000
    ActorParticleDensity=0.000000
    AutojoinHelp=0
    LeftClickTargetHelp=0
    HideAltAdvWin=FALSE
    ScreenshotNumber=4
    EnvSounds=1
    SpellParticleNearClipPlane=2.000000
    SpellParticleCastFilter=24
    EnvironmentParticleNearClipPlane=2.000000
    EnvironmentParticleCastFilter=24
    ActorParticleNearClipPlane=2.000000
    ActorParticleCastFilter=24
    TrackAutoUpdate=FALSE
    HideBuffWin=FALSE
    UISkin=Default
    AtlasSkin=Default
    LoadArmor17=FALSE
    LoadArmor18=FALSE
    LoadArmor19=FALSE
    LoadArmor20=FALSE
    LoadArmor21=FALSE
    LoadArmor22=FALSE
    LoadArmor23=FALSE
    SystemInfoDelay=0
    SendSystemInfo=1
    LastSysInfoDate=1302585156
    ShowCreationHelp=FALSE
    [HitsMode]
    MyHitsMode=1
    MyHitsAlwaysDraw=0
    MyHitsX=4
    MyHitsY=60
    MyHitsCount=3
    MyHitsFontSize=1
    MyHitsShowHeader=1
    MyHitsShowBG=0
    MyHitsBGWidth=330
    OtherHitsMeMode=1
    OtherHitsMeAlwaysDraw=0
    OtherHitsMeX=4
    OtherHitsMeY=112
    OtherHitsMeCount=3
    OtherHitsMeFontSize=1
    OtherHitsMeShowHeader=1
    OtherHitsMeShowBG=0
    OtherHitsMeBGWidth=330
    OtherHitsOtherMode=1
    OtherHitsOtherAlwaysDraw=0
    OtherHitsOtherX=4
    OtherHitsOtherY=164
    OtherHitsOtherCount=3
    OtherHitsOtherFontSize=1
    OtherHitsOtherShowHeader=1
    OtherHitsOtherShowBG=0
    OtherHitsOtherBGWidth=330
    [TextColors]
    User_1_Red=255
    User_1_Green=150
    User_1_Blue=0
    User_2_Red=150
    User_2_Green=0
    User_2_Blue=150
    User_3_Red=0
    User_3_Green=200
    User_3_Blue=200
    User_4_Red=50
    User_4_Green=205
    User_4_Blue=50
    User_5_Red=200
    User_5_Green=200
    User_5_Blue=0
    User_6_Red=0
    User_6_Green=125
    User_6_Blue=0
    User_7_Red=205
    User_7_Green=0
    User_7_Blue=0
    User_8_Red=0
    User_8_Green=125
    User_8_Blue=125
    User_9_Red=205
    User_9_Green=150
    User_9_Blue=100
    User_10_Red=150
    User_10_Green=0
    User_10_Blue=0
    User_11_Red=255
    User_11_Green=0
    User_11_Blue=0
    User_12_Red=255
    User_12_Green=255
    User_12_Blue=255
    User_13_Red=255
    User_13_Green=255
    User_13_Blue=255
    User_14_Red=240
    User_14_Green=240
    User_14_Blue=0
    User_15_Red=0
    User_15_Green=0
    User_15_Blue=255
    User_16_Red=0
    User_16_Green=0
    User_16_Blue=255
    User_17_Red=0
    User_17_Green=0
    User_17_Blue=0
    User_18_Red=0
    User_18_Green=0
    User_18_Blue=0
    User_19_Red=0
    User_19_Green=0
    User_19_Blue=0
    User_20_Red=240
    User_20_Green=240
    User_20_Blue=0
    User_21_Red=240
    User_21_Green=240
    User_21_Blue=0
    User_22_Red=255
    User_22_Green=0
    User_22_Blue=0
    User_23_Red=255
    User_23_Green=0
    User_23_Blue=0
    User_24_Red=240
    User_24_Green=0
    User_24_Blue=0
    User_25_Red=0
    User_25_Green=0
    User_25_Blue=0
    User_26_Red=128
    User_26_Green=0
    User_26_Blue=255
    User_27_Red=0
    User_27_Green=0
    User_27_Blue=0
    User_28_Red=0
    User_28_Green=100
    User_28_Blue=255
    User_29_Red=240
    User_29_Green=240
    User_29_Blue=0
    User_30_Red=0
    User_30_Green=140
    User_30_Blue=0
    User_31_Red=0
    User_31_Green=0
    User_31_Blue=255
    User_32_Red=255
    User_32_Green=0
    User_32_Blue=0
    User_33_Red=0
    User_33_Green=0
    User_33_Blue=255
    User_34_Red=0
    User_34_Green=0
    User_34_Blue=127
    User_35_Red=215
    User_35_Green=154
    User_35_Blue=66
    User_36_Red=125
    User_36_Green=0
    User_36_Blue=255
    User_37_Red=205
    User_37_Green=0
    User_37_Blue=75
    User_38_Red=205
    User_38_Green=50
    User_38_Blue=0
    User_39_Red=0
    User_39_Green=175
    User_39_Blue=100
    User_40_Red=0
    User_40_Green=0
    User_40_Blue=200
    User_41_Red=200
    User_41_Green=0
    User_41_Blue=0
    User_42_Red=200
    User_42_Green=200
    User_42_Blue=0
    User_43_Red=125
    User_43_Green=0
    User_43_Blue=255
    User_44_Red=0
    User_44_Green=140
    User_44_Blue=0
    User_45_Red=110
    User_45_Green=143
    User_45_Blue=176
    User_46_Red=255
    User_46_Green=255
    User_46_Blue=255
    User_47_Red=255
    User_47_Green=255
    User_47_Blue=255
    User_48_Red=240
    User_48_Green=127
    User_48_Blue=0
    User_49_Red=0
    User_49_Green=240
    User_49_Blue=240
    User_50_Red=0
    User_50_Green=240
    User_50_Blue=240
    User_51_Red=255
    User_51_Green=0
    User_51_Blue=255
    User_52_Red=255
    User_52_Green=200
    User_52_Blue=50
    User_53_Red=255
    User_53_Green=100
    User_53_Blue=255
    User_54_Red=75
    User_54_Green=255
    User_54_Blue=255
    User_55_Red=100
    User_55_Green=255
    User_55_Blue=100
    User_56_Red=240
    User_56_Green=240
    User_56_Blue=0
    User_57_Red=50
    User_57_Green=175
    User_57_Blue=50
    User_58_Red=255
    User_58_Green=50
    User_58_Blue=50
    User_59_Red=50
    User_59_Green=175
    User_59_Blue=175
    User_60_Red=240
    User_60_Green=240
    User_60_Blue=240
    User_61_Red=255
    User_61_Green=50
    User_61_Blue=125
    User_62_Red=255
    User_62_Green=100
    User_62_Blue=50
    User_63_Red=50
    User_63_Green=225
    User_63_Blue=150
    User_64_Red=50
    User_64_Green=50
    User_64_Blue=250
    User_65_Red=250
    User_65_Green=50
    User_65_Blue=50
    User_66_Red=255
    User_66_Green=255
    User_66_Blue=100
    User_67_Red=175
    User_67_Green=100
    User_67_Blue=255
    User_68_Red=50
    User_68_Green=190
    User_68_Blue=50
    User_69_Red=215
    User_69_Green=154
    User_69_Blue=66
    User_70_Red=255
    User_70_Green=255
    User_70_Blue=0
    User_71_Red=127
    User_71_Green=127
    User_71_Blue=0
    User_72_Red=100
    User_72_Green=200
    User_72_Blue=200
    User_73_Red=0
    User_73_Green=240
    User_73_Blue=0
    User_74_Red=255
    User_74_Green=255
    User_74_Blue=255
    User_75_Red=0
    User_75_Green=255
    User_75_Blue=255
    User_76_Red=255
    User_76_Green=0
    User_76_Blue=0
    User_77_Red=255
    User_77_Green=255
    User_77_Blue=255
    User_78_Red=0
    User_78_Green=0
    User_78_Blue=128
    User_79_Red=255
    User_79_Green=255
    User_79_Blue=0
    User_80_Red=255
    User_80_Green=0
    User_80_Blue=255
    User_81_Red=255
    User_81_Green=255
    User_81_Blue=255
    User_82_Red=255
    User_82_Green=255
    User_82_Blue=255
    User_83_Red=0
    User_83_Green=0
    User_83_Blue=0
    User_84_Red=255
    User_84_Green=255
    User_84_Blue=255
    User_85_Red=255
    User_85_Green=255
    User_85_Blue=255
    User_86_Red=255
    User_86_Green=155
    User_86_Blue=155
    User_87_Red=90
    User_87_Green=90
    User_87_Blue=255
    User_88_Red=255
    User_88_Green=255
    User_88_Blue=255
    User_89_Red=255
    User_89_Green=255
    User_89_Blue=255
    User_90_Red=0
    User_90_Green=0
    User_90_Blue=0
    [Options]
    IgnoreFile1=1
    Camera1-Distance=30.000000
    Camera1-DirHeading=192.000000
    Camera1-Heading=0.000000
    Camera1-Pitch=0.000000
    Camera1-Height=5.000000
    Camera1-Zoom=90.000000
    Camera1-Change=1
    Camera2-Distance=82.000000
    Camera2-DirHeading=277.000000
    Camera2-Heading=0.000000
    Camera2-Pitch=0.000000
    Camera2-Height=18.000000
    Camera2-Zoom=90.000000
    Camera2-Change=1
    Realism=9
    ClipPlane=7
    FogScale=1.400000
    MaxFPS=50
    LODBias=10
    MouseSensitivity=3
    LoadScreenMode=0
    PCNames=1
    DotDamage=1
    SpellDamage=1
    BardSongs=3
    PCSpells=2
    BadWord=1
    Channel08=0
    Channel07=0
    Anonymous=0
    Trade=2
    GuildInvites=1
    Sky=2
    ParticleDensity=3
    LoD=1
    SameResolution=1
    NPCNames=1
    InverseMouse=0
    LookSpring=0
    MouseActive=1
    Destroy=0
    AANoConfirm=0
    pointMerchantNoConfirm=0
    MouseWheelZoom=1
    MouseRightHanded=1
    Channel00=1
    Channel01=1
    Channel02=1
    Channel03=1
    Channel04=1
    Channel05=1
    NPCSpells=0
    CriticalSpells=0
    CriticalMelee=0
    Channel06=1
    Channel09=1
    HideDamageShield=0
    PetAttacks=0
    PetMisses=0
    FocusEffects=0
    PetSpells=0
    HealOverTimeSpells=0
    ItemSpeech=0
    Strikethrough=0
    Stun=0
    BardSongsOnPets=0
    SwarmPetDeath=0
    FellowshipChat=0
    ActorClipPlane=42
    ShadowClipPlane=0
    [VideoMode]
    Width=1600
    Height=900
    FullscreenRefreshRate=0
    FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
    WindowedWidth=1600
    WindowedHeight=850
    [News]
    LastRead=00000000
    Automatic=0
    [KeyMaps]
    KEYMAPPING_FULLSCREEN_1=68
    KEYMAPPING_SPELLBOOK_1=48
    KEYMAPPING_TOGGLE_BANDOLIER_1=49
    KEYMAPPING_CMD_CLIPBOARD_PASTE_1=536870959
    KEYMAPPING_CMD_TOGGLEVOICEWIN_1=1073741871
    KEYMAPPING_TOGGLETARGET_1=13
    KEYMAPPING_TOGGLETWOTARGETS_1=12
    KEYMAPPING_CYCLEPCTARGETS_1=26
    KEYMAPPING_CYCLENPCTARGETS_1=27
    KEYMAPPING_TARGETNPC_2=0
    KEYMAPPING_AUTORUN_1=58
    KEYMAPPING_AUTOPRIM_1=41
    KEYMAPPING_SIT_STAND_1=31
    KEYMAPPING_FIRST_PERSON_CAMERA_1=82
    KEYMAPPING_CHASE_CAMERA_1=83
    KEYMAPPING_TARGETPC_1=65
    KEYMAPPING_TARGETNPC_1=66
    KEYMAPPING_FORWARD_1=0
    KEYMAPPING_BACK_1=0
    KEYMAPPING_RIGHT_1=0
    KEYMAPPING_LEFT_1=30
  3. Coder Joe Journeyman

Good info, thanks for sharing.
  4. Gunek New Member

So I had been using Fedora26 and Everquest was working. Recently changed to clean install of Fedora 27.
    Updated the the OS, installed wine and winestrick. Used wintrick to add the Direct X9 media.
    When I run EQ_setup.exe, after the directX installer, I get the follow error, if I run launchpad I get this error as well, and I am looking for some idea on how to resolve it.

Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x1074cf90).
    Register dump:
    CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
    EIP:1074cf90 ESP:0033cba8 EBP:0033cf30 EFLAGS:00010246( R- -- I Z- -P- )
    EAX:00000000 EBX:54228000 ECX:3f4401c8 EDX:00000000
    ESI:3f48c318 EDI:54228000
    Stack dump:
    0x0033cba8: 0033d015 54228000 00010000 00000007
    0x0033cbb8: 40800000 01000000 3f4401c8 00010000
    0x0033cbc8: 01010000 00000009 3f4cc880 ffffffff
    0x0033cbd8: 00000000 7f7fffff 00000001 00000007
    0x0033cbe8: 40800000 00000007 00000000 00000000
    0x0033cbf8: 41880000 00000000 01010000 00000000
    Backtrace:
    =>0 0x1074cf90 in libcef (+0x74cf90) (0x0033cf30)
    1 0x1074b277 in libcef (+0x74b276) (0x0033cfc4)
    2 0x107c1e4c in libcef (+0x7c1e4b) (0x0033d068)
    3 0x1076703c in libcef (+0x76703b) (0x0033d098)
    4 0x10767279 in libcef (+0x767278) (0x0033d0c0)
    5 0x107072f8 in libcef (+0x7072f7) (0x0033d0cc)
    6 0x10767bfc in libcef (+0x767bfb) (0x0033d0e4)
    7 0x10767889 in libcef (+0x767888) (0x0033d140)
    8 0x10767043 in libcef (+0x767042) (0x0033d170)
    9 0x10767279 in libcef (+0x767278) (0x0033d198)
    10 0x10707328 in libcef (+0x707327) (0x0033d1a4)
    11 0x1070b2c0 in libcef (+0x70b2bf) (0x0033d1c4)
    12 0x1070acbb in libcef (+0x70acba) (0x0033d224)
    13 0x1070a64f in libcef (+0x70a64e) (0x0033d250)
    14 0x1078c571 in libcef (+0x78c570) (0x0033d2cc)
    15 0x1078c975 in libcef (+0x78c974) (0x0033d34c)
    16 0x10764809 in libcef (+0x764808) (0x0033d368)
    17 0x107c25a7 in libcef (+0x7c25a6) (0x0033d570)
    18 0x1078ce0d in libcef (+0x78ce0c) (0x0033d5ec)
    19 0x1078c975 in libcef (+0x78c974) (0x0033d664)
    20 0x10764809 in libcef (+0x764808) (0x0033d680)
    21 0x107657a1 in libcef (+0x7657a0) (0x0033d9b8)
    22 0x1078d09c in libcef (+0x78d09b) (0x0033da2c)
    23 0x1078c975 in libcef (+0x78c974) (0x0033daa4)
    24 0x10764809 in libcef (+0x764808) (0x0033dac0)
    25 0x1078d724 in libcef (+0x78d723) (0x0033daec)
    26 0x1078d9a0 in libcef (+0x78d99f) (0x0033db58)
    27 0x1078eef2 in libcef (+0x78eef1) (0x0033dd10)
    28 0x1078ce1b in libcef (+0x78ce1a) (0x0033dd8c)
    29 0x1078c975 in libcef (+0x78c974) (0x0033de04)
    30 0x10764809 in libcef (+0x764808) (0x0033de20)
    31 0x1078d724 in libcef (+0x78d723) (0x0033de4c)
    32 0x1078d9a0 in libcef (+0x78d99f) (0x0033deb8)
    33 0x1078eef2 in libcef (+0x78eef1) (0x0033e070)
    34 0x1078ce1b in libcef (+0x78ce1a) (0x0033e0ec)
    35 0x1078c975 in libcef (+0x78c974) (0x0033e164)
    36 0x10764809 in libcef (+0x764808) (0x0033e180)
    37 0x1078d724 in libcef (+0x78d723) (0x0033e1ac)
    38 0x1078d9a0 in libcef (+0x78d99f) (0x0033e218)
    39 0x1078eef2 in libcef (+0x78eef1) (0x0033e3d0)
    40 0x1078ce1b in libcef (+0x78ce1a) (0x0033e44c)
    41 0x1078c975 in libcef (+0x78c974) (0x0033e4c4)
    42 0x10764809 in libcef (+0x764808) (0x0033e4e0)
    43 0x1078d724 in libcef (+0x78d723) (0x0033e50c)
    44 0x1078d9a0 in libcef (+0x78d99f) (0x0033e578)
    45 0x1078eef2 in libcef (+0x78eef1) (0x0033e730)
    46 0x1078ce1b in libcef (+0x78ce1a) (0x0033e7ac)
    47 0x1078c975 in libcef (+0x78c974) (0x0033e82c)
    48 0x10764809 in libcef (+0x764808) (0x0033e848)
    49 0x106fe79a in libcef (+0x6fe799) (0x0033e908)
    50 0x10593379 in libcef (+0x593378) (0x0033e974)
    51 0x10593b45 in libcef (+0x593b44) (0x0033ea08)
    52 0x10598164 in libcef (+0x598163) (0x0033ea50)
    53 0x105980c9 in libcef (+0x5980c8) (0x0033ea68)
    54 0x1059798d in libcef (+0x59798c) (0x0033eab4)
    55 0x1054e182 in libcef (+0x54e181) (0x0033eac8)
    56 0x115fe953 in libcef (+0x15fe952) (0x0033ead4)
    57 0x115ebaa0 in libcef (+0x15eba9f) (0x0033eb0c)
    58 0x118877f8 in libcef (+0x18877f7) (0x0033ebcc)
    59 0x10a39d44 in libcef (+0xa39d43) (0x0033ebec)
    60 0x100e1f5f in libcef (+0xe1f5e) (0x0033ec54)
    61 0x119383d8 in libcef (+0x19383d7) (0x0033ed04)
    62 0x11937e11 in libcef (+0x1937e10) (0x0033ee30)
    63 0x1192df42 in libcef (+0x192df41) (0x0033ee44)
    64 0x11938602 in libcef (+0x1938601) (0x0033ee6c)
    65 0x100e1f5f in libcef (+0xe1f5e) (0x0033eed0)
    66 0x1009bb4d in libcef (+0x9bb4c) (0x0033fa3c)
    67 0x1009c7ee in libcef (+0x9c7ed) (0x0033fb48)
    68 0x100e3356 in libcef (+0xe3355) (0x0033fb74)
    69 0x100b9659 in libcef (+0xb9658) (0x0033fba0)
    70 0x1009b0d3 in libcef (+0x9b0d2) (0x0033fbcc)
    71 0x1259a5be in libcef (+0x259a5bd) (0x0033fc98)
    72 0x11e1c915 in libcef (+0x1e1c914) (0x0033fcac)
    73 0x11e1c865 in libcef (+0x1e1c864) (0x0033fd00)
    74 0x11e1bf64 in libcef (+0x1e1bf63) (0x0033fd10)
    75 0x111e6a1f in libcef (+0x11e6a1e) (0x0033fdec)
    76 0x111bd79d in libcef (+0x11bd79c) (0x0033fe10)
    77 0x0040177e in gamelaunchercefchildprocess (+0x177d) (0x0033fe3c)
    78 0x0040137d in gamelaunchercefchildprocess (+0x137c) (0x0033fe74)
    79 0x00427ab5 in gamelaunchercefchildprocess (+0x27ab4) (0x0033fec0)
    80 0x7b45f23c call_process_entry+0xb() in kernel32 (0x0033fed8)
    81 0x7b460abf in kernel32 (+0x40abe) (0x0033ffd8)
    82 0x7b45f24a call_process_entry+0x19() in kernel32 (0x0033ffec)
    0x1074cf90: movb %al,0x00000000
    Modules:
    Module Address Debug info Name (144 modules)
    PE 400000- 460000 Export gamelaunchercefchildprocess
    PE 10000000-131c3000 Export libcef
    ELF 7b400000-7b7e5000 Dwarf kernel32<elf>
    \-PE 7b420000-7b7e5000 \ kernel32
    ELF 7bc00000-7bcf2000 Deferred ntdll<elf>
    \-PE 7bc10000-7bcf2000 \ ntdll
    ELF 7c000000-7c004000 Deferred <wine-loader>
    ELF 7cb0d000-7cb21000 Deferred api-ms-win-core-localization-obsolete-l1-2-0<elf>
    \-PE 7cb10000-7cb21000 \ api-ms-win-core-localization-obsolete-l1-2-0
    ELF 7cb21000-7cb35000 Deferred api-ms-win-core-datetime-l1-1-1<elf>
    \-PE 7cb30000-7cb35000 \ api-ms-win-core-datetime-l1-1-1
    ELF 7cb35000-7cb49000 Deferred api-ms-win-core-string-l1-1-0<elf>
    \-PE 7cb40000-7cb49000 \ api-ms-win-core-string-l1-1-0
    ELF 7cb49000-7cb5d000 Deferred api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-1<elf>
    \-PE 7cb50000-7cb5d000 \ api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-1
    ELF 7cb5d000-7cb71000 Deferred api-ms-win-core-fibers-l1-1-1<elf>
    \-PE 7cb60000-7cb71000 \ api-ms-win-core-fibers-l1-1-1
    ELF 7cb71000-7cb85000 Deferred api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0<elf>
    \-PE 7cb80000-7cb85000 \ api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0
    ELF 7cb85000-7cbbc000 Deferred uxtheme<elf>
    \-PE 7cb90000-7cbbc000 \ uxtheme
    ELF 7cbbc000-7cbc3000 Deferred libxfixes.so.3
    ELF 7cbc3000-7cbcf000 Deferred libxcursor.so.1
    ELF 7cbcf000-7cbe1000 Deferred libxi.so.6
    ELF 7cbe1000-7cbe5000 Deferred libxcomposite.so.1
    ELF 7cbe5000-7cbf1000 Deferred libxrandr.so.2
    ELF 7cbf1000-7cbfd000 Deferred libxrender.so.1
    ELF 7cbfd000-7cc04000 Deferred libxxf86vm.so.1
    ELF 7cc04000-7cc08000 Deferred libxinerama.so.1
    ELF 7cd08000-7cd0c000 Deferred libxau.so.6
    ELF 7cd0c000-7cd38000 Deferred libxcb.so.1
    ELF 7cd38000-7ce7d000 Deferred libx11.so.6
    ELF 7ce7d000-7ce91000 Deferred libxext.so.6
    ELF 7ce91000-7cf1c000 Deferred winex11<elf>
    \-PE 7cea0000-7cf1c000 \ winex11
    ELF 7cf1c000-7cf33000 Deferred libgpg-error.so.0
    ELF 7cf33000-7cf50000 Deferred libgcc_s.so.1
    ELF 7cf50000-7cf67000 Deferred liblz4.so.1
    ELF 7cf67000-7cf92000 Deferred liblzma.so.5
    ELF 7cf92000-7cf9c000 Deferred librt.so.1
    ELF 7cf9c000-7d078000 Deferred libgcrypt.so.20
    ELF 7d0d7000-7d15d000 Deferred libpcre2-8.so.0
    ELF 7d15d000-7d1ed000 Deferred libsystemd.so.0
    ELF 7d1ed000-7d1f6000 Deferred libffi.so.6
    ELF 7d1f6000-7d220000 Deferred libselinux.so.1
    ELF 7d220000-7d224000 Deferred libfreebl3.so
    ELF 7d224000-7d27a000 Deferred libdbus-1.so.3
    ELF 7d27a000-7d2ee000 Deferred libgmp.so.10
    ELF 7d2ee000-7d31c000 Deferred libhogweed.so.4
    ELF 7d31c000-7d35c000 Deferred libnettle.so.6
    ELF 7d35c000-7d370000 Deferred libtasn1.so.6
    ELF 7d370000-7d4f2000 Deferred libunistring.so.2
    ELF 7d4f2000-7d510000 Deferred libidn2.so.0
    ELF 7d510000-7d647000 Deferred libp11-kit.so.0
    ELF 7d647000-7d64c000 Deferred libkeyutils.so.1
    ELF 7d64c000-7d65b000 Deferred libkrb5support.so.0
    ELF 7d65b000-7d68a000 Deferred libcrypt.so.1
    ELF 7d68a000-7d69c000 Deferred libavahi-client.so.3
    ELF 7d69c000-7d6aa000 Deferred libavahi-common.so.3
    ELF 7d6aa000-7d827000 Deferred libgnutls.so.30
    ELF 7d827000-7d82c000 Deferred libcom_err.so.2
    ELF 7d82c000-7d865000 Deferred libk5crypto.so.3
    ELF 7d865000-7d940000 Deferred libkrb5.so.3
    ELF 7d940000-7d98f000 Deferred libgssapi_krb5.so.2
    ELF 7d98f000-7da19000 Deferred libcups.so.2
    ELF 7da23000-7da3d000 Deferred kerberos<elf>
    \-PE 7da30000-7da3d000 \ kerberos
    ELF 7da52000-7da83000 Deferred libexpat.so.1
    ELF 7da83000-7dac9000 Deferred libfontconfig.so.1
    ELF 7dac9000-7db01000 Deferred libpng16.so.16
    ELF 7db01000-7db12000 Deferred libbz2.so.1
    ELF 7db12000-7dbc6000 Deferred libfreetype.so.6
    ELF 7dbec000-7dcb4000 Deferred crypt32<elf>
    \-PE 7dc00000-7dcb4000 \ crypt32
    ELF 7dcb4000-7dccc000 Deferred libresolv.so.2
    ELF 7dcda000-7dcf2000 Deferred wtsapi32<elf>
    \-PE 7dce0000-7dcf2000 \ wtsapi32
    ELF 7dcf2000-7dd1b000 Deferred iphlpapi<elf>
    \-PE 7dd00000-7dd1b000 \ iphlpapi
    ELF 7dd1b000-7dd4a000 Deferred netapi32<elf>
    \-PE 7dd20000-7dd4a000 \ netapi32
    ELF 7dd4a000-7dd7f000 Deferred secur32<elf>
    \-PE 7dd50000-7dd7f000 \ secur32
    ELF 7dd7f000-7dda9000 Deferred msacm32<elf>
    \-PE 7dd80000-7dda9000 \ msacm32
    ELF 7dda9000-7de5f000 Deferred winmm<elf>
    \-PE 7ddb0000-7de5f000 \ winmm
    ELF 7de5f000-7debd000 Deferred oleacc<elf>
    \-PE 7de70000-7debd000 \ oleacc
    ELF 7debd000-7dee0000 Deferred imm32<elf>
    \-PE 7dec0000-7dee0000 \ imm32
    ELF 7dee0000-7e013000 Deferred comctl32<elf>
    \-PE 7def0000-7e013000 \ comctl32
    ELF 7e013000-7e0fb000 Deferred comdlg32<elf>
    \-PE 7e020000-7e0fb000 \ comdlg32
    ELF 7e0fb000-7e139000 Deferred winspool<elf>
    \-PE 7e100000-7e139000 \ winspool
    ELF 7e139000-7e174000 Deferred winhttp<elf>
    \-PE 7e140000-7e174000 \ winhttp
    ELF 7e174000-7e1ad000 Deferred ws2_32<elf>
    \-PE 7e180000-7e1ad000 \ ws2_32
    ELF 7e1ad000-7e1d4000 Deferred mpr<elf>
    \-PE 7e1b0000-7e1d4000 \ mpr
    ELF 7e1d4000-7e1ed000 Deferred libz.so.1
    ELF 7e1f5000-7e213000 Deferred jsproxy<elf>
    \-PE 7e200000-7e213000 \ jsproxy
    ELF 7e213000-7e287000 Deferred wininet<elf>
    \-PE 7e220000-7e287000 \ wininet
    ELF 7e287000-7e4d0000 Deferred shell32<elf>
    \-PE 7e2a0000-7e4d0000 \ shell32
    ELF 7e4d0000-7e5fd000 Deferred oleaut32<elf>
    \-PE 7e4f0000-7e5fd000 \ oleaut32
    ELF 7e5fd000-7e67a000 Deferred rpcrt4<elf>
    \-PE 7e610000-7e67a000 \ rpcrt4
    ELF 7e67a000-7e7ca000 Deferred ole32<elf>
    \-PE 7e690000-7e7ca000 \ ole32
    ELF 7e7ca000-7e864000 Deferred urlmon<elf>
    \-PE 7e7e0000-7e864000 \ urlmon
    ELF 7e864000-7e87a000 Deferred dhcpcsvc<elf>
    \-PE 7e870000-7e87a000 \ dhcpcsvc
    ELF 7e87a000-7e892000 Deferred userenv<elf>
    \-PE 7e880000-7e892000 \ userenv
    ELF 7e892000-7e904000 Deferred shlwapi<elf>
    \-PE 7e8a0000-7e904000 \ shlwapi
    ELF 7e904000-7e918000 Deferred psapi<elf>
    \-PE 7e910000-7e918000 \ psapi
    ELF 7e918000-7ea3c000 Deferred gdi32<elf>
    \-PE 7e930000-7ea3c000 \ gdi32
    ELF 7ea3c000-7ec13000 Deferred user32<elf>
    \-PE 7ea50000-7ec13000 \ user32
    ELF 7ec13000-7ec88000 Deferred advapi32<elf>
    \-PE 7ec20000-7ec88000 \ advapi32
    ELF 7ec88000-7eccc000 Deferred usp10<elf>
    \-PE 7ec90000-7eccc000 \ usp10
    ELF 7eccc000-7ece0000 Deferred libnss_files.so.2
    ELF 7eee0000-7efda000 Deferred libm.so.6
    ELF 7efe6000-7f000000 Deferred version<elf>
    \-PE 7eff0000-7f000000 \ version
    ELF f7b89000-f7bf0000 Deferred dwrite<elf>
    \-PE f7b90000-f7bf0000 \ dwrite
    ELF f7bf4000-f7bf9000 Deferred libdl.so.2
    ELF f7bf9000-f7d91000 Deferred libc.so.6
    ELF f7d91000-f7db0000 Deferred libpthread.so.0
    ELF f7f8d000-f7fb5000 Deferred ld-linux.so.2
    Threads:
    process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)
    0000000e services.exe
    00000025 0
    00000022 0
    0000001d 0
    00000013 0
    00000010 0
    0000000f 0
    00000011 winedevice.exe
    0000001c 0
    00000017 0
    00000016 0
    00000012 0
    0000001a plugplay.exe
    0000001f 0
    0000001e 0
    0000001b 0
    00000020 winedevice.exe
    0000002a 0
    00000024 0
    00000023 0
    00000021 0
    00000028 explorer.exe
    0000002d 0
    0000002c 0
    0000002b 0
    00000029 0
    0000003f LaunchPad.exe
    00000073 0
    00000067 0
    00000066 0
    00000065 0
    00000064 0
    00000063 0
    00000062 0
    00000061 0
    00000060 0
    0000005f 0
    0000005e 0
    0000005d 0
    0000005c 0
    0000005b 0
    0000005a 0
    00000059 0
    00000058 0
    00000057 0
    00000056 0
    00000055 0
    00000054 0
    00000053 0
    00000052 0
    00000051 0
    00000050 0
    0000004f 0
    0000004e 0
    0000004d 0
    00000047 0
    00000044 0
    00000042 0
    00000040 0
    00000068 (D) C:\users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest\LaunchPad.libs\GameLauncherCefChildProcess.exe
    00000072 0
    00000071 -2
    00000070 0
    0000006f 0
    0000006e 0
    0000006d 0
    0000006c 0
    0000006b 0
    0000006a 0
    00000069 0 <==
    System information:
    Wine build: wine-3.4
    Platform: i386 (WOW64)
    Version: Windows 7
    Host system: Linux
    Host version: 4.15.10-300.fc27.x86_64
  5. Electorite New Member

@gunek

firstly i want to make the point, linux mint is the only linux recommended for everquest. i read that somewhere, i forget where. fedora is a different parent distribution, so you may or may not be able to get it to work with everquest.

without putting too much time or thought into answering, my guess is that as of jan 2018 everquest only works on windows 7 and later, so i suggest making sure your winetricks is set up for windows 7 per my instructions above. error messages and logs are complicated and even though i am a programmer, it's cryptic what the logs and errors show because it's not always informative or helpful. you can test directx in one of the links i put in my first 2 posts. that will show if your directx is running properly. you can also run a virtual machine to run windows 7 (if you have a copy) or linux mint to speed up the process. remember you lose about 10% of the speed of your computer minimum every time you use virtualbox or any non complete virtual machine software. it's an easy way to not have to log off and on when using a virtual machine. if you have a fast computer i suggest a virtual machine with linux mint, and once you get that to work you can go back and try to get fedora to work. start with my instructions and work backwards from there i suggest.
  6. Moege Augur

Against Terms of Service. Would not advise this as people have being banned for it.
    Quatr likes this.
  7. Electorite New Member

@moege when you install a virtual machine, you need a copy of the operating system. it is breaking the law for operating systems to be included in the virtual machine distribution, especially copyrighted software like windows. (with virtualbox you can choose how to set up the bios automatically to prepare it for an operating system. don't confuse this with the entire os being included. when you select "windows 7" when setting up a virtualbox virtual drive, it's only setting the vm up for windows 7, it's not INSTALLING win7) if someone is getting banned for a legitimate install of windows 7-10 on a virtual machine, that's bad management. you can run an operating system on a vm as well as a traditional install both legally and the vm version should work with most games. some games would require the exact correct driver, but i doubt an older game like everquest would require the exact correct driver for the gpu for example. if the player has a generic driver, it should work fine. the only difference with vms like virtualbox is that the vm does not have the correct driver for all hardware. in fact with virtualbox most hardware is not the correct drivers, it's a generic driver or a unique vm driver, so vms like virtualbox are easy to install but you tend to have lower quality drivers. there are better virtual machine softwares out there, but if you are taking the time to virtualize a machine with one of the better vm softwares, why not simply dual boot it or use distributive computing, or some better way. the vm is an easy way not to have to dual boot in order to play eq. you lose 10%-20% of the computer speed, but you don't have to literally restart the computer every time you want to play eq. the point is there is nothing illegal about running windows 7 on a vm and playing eq with it. if players are getting banned for that, it's a bad policy. i got banned 3x for playing world of warcraft with the message 'you have been banned for botting' when i was not botting at all. i was playing 2 versions of world of warcraft on official servers and i paid all the neccessary fees (seperate accounts, seperate monthly fees, seperate games and expansions). i was using my 2 hands with seperate keyboards and mice. there is no reason anyone should have known there wasn't 2 people in the same house playing wow. the 3rd time i got banned i immediately logged on and cancelled my account, and then logged on my voice server and explained why i'm not leading my raid anymore. since then i've paid money to everquest, so wow lost money bc of that. there is no good reason players should be banned for playing on vms unless it's creating server lag, and i doubt it would be. i'm not denying players are getting banned for playing eq on a virtualized windows 7, but you still need to be able to install windows 7. why can't the eq launcher check if it's a legitimate version of windows? why do they ban legitimate versions of windows 7 on vms? i know players aren't getting banned for playing eq with illegitimate versions of windows on traditional installs, so what makes vms worse than illegitimate versions of windows? why is breaking the law allowed but playing on vms isn't allowed? someone should educate the people who manage everquest what a vm is, and no vm i know comes with windows 7 included. i am familiar with 3 vm softwares.

as for everquest on linux, it stopped working for some reason as of today. i'm troubleshooting it now. i haven't logged in on my linux computer for a month, so i am guessing one of the last 2 patches to everquest broke the linux method i am using to log in. i hope it's not intentional. if the people managing everquest are banning for playing eq on vms, maybe they somehow locked players out of using linux. it wouldn't surprise me, but i don't understand why a game would intentionally stop players from playing on an os without a real reason. i can't think of a reason to prevent users from playing eq on linux, so i'll keep troubleshooting it for a while longer.

if linux and vms are both intentionally being thrown under the bus by eq managers, maybe it has to do with emulation of drivers. both linux and vms tend to have that in common. daybreak is going towards getting people to pay for games, so why would they intentionally cut player base if they want more money? sometimes things businesses do don't make sense, so i wouldn't put it past them, but seriously, why is it an issue how you play eq? why ban players for logging in? who died and made daybreak the internet police? it's not the responsibility of game companies to check if all their users are using legitimate versions of the os. even windows update doesn't really do that well. it seems like db closes their eyes and plays whack a mole with things they don't want, and bans or prohibits players from doing that arbitrarily. i wonder if the lead manager of eq is a recent undergrad grad. it's a shame the eq standards have come down to this. eq is a great game and it brings a tear to my eye what is happening to the game.
  8. Electorite New Member

i honestly don't see a reason to try to get everquest to work with linux anymore if daybreak is banning for things like using virtual machines. it's possible the devs are trying to stop eq from working with linux. i'll just use my other windows computers to log in with my linux accounts for a little longer and probly quit eq altogether and look for a new mmo at that point who deserves my money. i guess this is the nail in the coffin for my 20 year marriage to eq. i liked leading guilds and raids in eq, and i will for about another year or so, but i won't be supporting this thread anymore or probably reading it either. if eq wants to support linux, daybreak can start an official thread for how to get eq to work in linux. i have more important things to do than get eq to work with linux without getting paid for my time and effort.
  9. Bigfan Augur

They made a change to eqgame.exe and probably the dx9.0c dll, that is the issue, and I doubt Linux has caught up to dx10? That could be the execute issue.

Honestly, too many games use dx10+ now to make it viable to even try to run on anything that was built for Windows.
  10. Ceyarrecks New Member

This is a most detailed post, one I will certainly be holding onto.
    One potential alternative, with a minor investment of ~$30 is CrossOver (free to try)
    [https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux]
    I have personally used this before on Ubuntu, and EQII worked flawlessly (did not test voice though).
    For the less inclined to "open the hood and tinker," this might be a better option to consider, and if memory serves me correctly, is made by the same people who develop WINE.
  11. Bubossi New Member

Since eqgame.exe spawns new processes and threads, you might want to consider using taskset with the -p and -a options. You need to pause after starting eqgame.exe, and then use ps and sed to extract the pid for the -p option of taskset
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  12. Tyche Elder

I play on macos using CrossOver which is a fancy front end to wine. Works fine checking as of today, EQ did patch a new eqgame.exe and dx9 dll so make sure your game is patched up.
  13. djamba New Member

This howto (even the 2018-03 edit) is overcomplicated without reason.
    Only a few steps are really needed (c/p from the last test results):

Code:
    export WINEARCH=win64
    export WINEPREFIX=/path/to/your/chosen/wineprefix
    Code:
    winetricks win7
    Code:
    winetricks corefonts d3dx9_43
    either by running winecfg or re-running winetricks win7

Installation:
    Using the installer works just fine:
    (in the same terminal or run export WINEPREFIX=/path/to/your/chosen/wineprefix first)
    Code:
    wine EQ_setup.exe

On the first run, the installer will ask whether you want to install DirectX. Accept the contract, hit next, then Cancel (you don't need nor want to use it)

startup script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # Reduce terminal output
    export WINEDEBUG=-all
    export WINEPREFIX=/path/to/your/chosen/wineprefix
    cd ${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/path/to/your/eq/installation
    wine LaunchPad.exe

Save and make the startup script executable.

A couple notes:
    * The default installation path is C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest. If you keep this path, use
    Code:
    cd ${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/users/Public/Daybreak\ Game\ Company\Installed\ Games\Everquest
    * Using wine eqclient.exe as recommended in the first post will bypass the patcher.

* On the first installation, sometimes the patcher refuses to download more. killing wine (using wineserver -k) and restarting the launchpad will resume the download. Use the startup script you just created.

* Using padsp is not needed anymore

* Using taskset is not needed. However, for a better experience, you may tweak your config file. Once installed, open the eqclient.ini file.
    In the [Defaults] section just add or change the values to have:

Code:
    CPUAffinity0=-1
    CPUAffinity1=-1
    CPUAffinity2=-1
    CPUAffinity3=-1

* I tried using dxvk in the wine prefix without success. For some reason, the patcher is unable to connect if dxvk is present.

That all I had to do to install and run EQ.

2022-04-07: Edit. The wine prefix must be a 64 bits one now.
    Overcast451 likes this.
  14. Overcast451 Augur

Got it running thanks Electorite!

My performance in Fedora 28 was horrible though...

After adjusting and using the information posted by djamba - the performance is shocking now! EQ is running on Fedora 28 for me far smoother than it ever has on Windows on this machine, lol :)

Thanks!

It was quite a little adventure getting this working, but glad I did.