The future of TLP servers

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

Ugh. I can't edit that post, either. Oh, well.
  2. Risiko Augur

I'll never understand why people feel the need to make personal attacks against others just because they don't agree with their point of view. o_O

1. Agnarr is proof that p99 players will pay $15+ a month to play Everquest. Ask people you meet in game if they played on p99 prior to playing on Agnarr some time. You might be surprised how many say yes. So, that argument is mute.
    2. The argument about the previously opened TLP server dying when the next TLP server is opened is mute as well. Phinigel is still as strong as ever, and we have had Agnarr open for almost a year now.
    I think people are responding with their emotions rather than logic here, and I can only assume that they are doing it because they some how feel threatened by any ideas that they don't agree with to the game.

The thing that boggles my mind though is that these ideas should have NO AFFECT on them in the least bit, yet they feel the need to attack it at all cost. If you don't want to play on a new TLP server or any TLP server, why would that bother you that there is a new TLP server or any TLP server? It shouldn't, and it doesn't.

We have had TLP servers in Everquest for many, many years now, and SoE/DBG has not once neglected to put out patches, updates, and expansions for the LIVE servers. Not once. So, why are people so against TLP?

What is your fear?
  3. Jaxarale01 Augur

I agree... but it is not fear, its simple hate is all.
    They do not like it so they spend enormous amounts of time in degrading it and promoting a #resist
    type stupidity of anything that does not fit in their small minded worlds...

Just look at some of the posts from long time posters about how Agnarr will die a horrible death... with no evidence at all. (circumstantial or anecdotal either) It is just the fact that they do not like it so it will fail... and they spread their propaganda as gods own truth in the hopes that they can get people to quit so they can come here and trumpet:

"I was right! I called it a year ago!!"
  4. Aziuno Augur

5. Risiko Augur

6. Meso_Phinny Journeyman

A server that locked on SoF would be nice, as TSS/TBS/SoF were an extremely strong block of expansions. Personally, I think such servers should make the terminal expansion or two more difficult with some across the board tweaking to increase the longevity of raiding, but I do know it is a bit of a chore.

In addition, they could always just give people on RF/LJ/Phinny the option to vote against mercs if the server is still very healthy when SoD is about to drop. On Fippy, they offered the option to bring corpse runs back, thinking that there was a huge call for this, and as I remember, it was squashed by NO votes in a landslide. Mercs may or may not cause the same reaction.
  7. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

You want to know why people are hostile towards your ridiculous ideas? Because most of them involve loads of dev time for things that are not practical and/or are only desired by you and a few fringe elements of the p99/Agnarr community. This wasted dev time could possibly take away from something that a larger portion of the EQ community wants. You have to know Risiko, that you are in the MINORITY of EQ players. Most of us do not want to be perpetually stuck in 2001 Everquest.

I understand most of your ideas perfectly. I also understand that most of them are pipe dreams you KNOW never have a chance of working out, so you are just bored and need something to do, so you post these "ideas" on this forum. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem most people, including myself, have with your posts, is that they simultaneously speak from a place of arrogance and ignorance. You know none of your ideas are going to be greenlit by DBG, so just have fun with it and stop demanding the rest of this community take you seriously.
  8. Aziuno Augur

I just want to bring back more customers without fracturing the current customer base.

I am fine with the 'seasons' mentality that they seem to be doing with TLP's, I was fine with it on D3... but they are two completely different games, with completely different player base #'s.

I don't think EQ can support fracturing its clients more than it already has (look at 15? live servers, or past TLP's)

You can tell by the path they took on Agnaar they didn't want yet another server to 'take away' from Phinny / RF / Lockjaw.

While I know Agnaar is not a server for what I want, I am glad it didn't cut into the other servers long term. I hope that this is the future of TLP's.
  9. Kahna Augur

Technically the term you should have used there is moot, not mute. Pet peeve of mine.

Basically, your idea won't work because people are people. While people might play happily for years on a locked server, once you open up the possibility of moving people will turn into a giant pack of lemmings. Friends and guildmates will start transferring, first in a trickle, then guilds will start to lack people to play with and they will have a few options. Heavily recruit, which will be tough because all the guilds will be losing people. Merge with another guild which is a pain and always has a few bumps and bruises along the way, or transfer off and just keep playing with the same group of friends they have come to enjoy playing with. So that trickle will become a rush as people cave to peer pressure or want to keep playing with friends. Then more folks will transfer because they don't want to be left behind on a server they fear will die, which then hastens the death of the server. Finally the last stubborn set will transfer because they are desperate for people to play with. Of course all along this process you will have the really stubborn folks who don't want to play in the transfer server's expansions but don't want to start over socially on old server, so those folks will just quit.

That is what will actually happen to your tiered, transfer capable servers, because people are people. A wave of the "core majority" will pass through them leaving emptiness in it's wake. I don't want DBG to waste time and money on a server set that is doomed to fail, because I like playing this game and the more financially successful they are the greater the chances that I can keep playing for the foreseeable future. I know you are going to say that server's don't cost much, but they will be losing all the money they could have made by implementing an idea that has a far greater chance at being successful, which is basically any other TLP idea.
  10. Atomos Augur

At this point, who HASN'T played on P99? And from the looks of it, the P99 population hasn't gone down very much. Besides, it seems like Agnarr is already starting to go downhill.

IMO, we don't need more servers, we need less servers, before a lack of players starts to do some real damage.
    McJumps likes this.
  11. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Another Agnarr is going downhill remark woot down we go................
    Can P99 get any less players? The pop is already stupid low, how do you measure going below that?
  12. Machentoo Augur

Feel free to flame all you want, but we did call it, and we aren't wrong.

Your server is already on a decline. Compare phinnyprogress.com and agnarrprogress.com classic and kunark and you'll see it.

Phinny: 8 guilds cleared Eye of Veeshan in Era. 13 cleared VP in the first ~six weeks. 63% increase.
    Agnarr: 16 guilds cleared Eye of Veeshan in Era. 9 cleared VP in first ~six weeks. 44% decrease.

This despite Agnarr having a far easier VP key quest.

Phinny was on an upward trajectory at this point. You guys are already on a sharp downward trajectory, even earlier than we predicted. It won't end well.
  13. Rhodz Augur

Actually on the matter of moot vs mute.
    I am sure moot was intended but when a matter becomes moot it is simply rendered DEBATEABLE not established fact, rendering it irrelevant only in rules of evidence not public discussion. In a court of law this is important in a conversation it is not.
    Rendering an agreement mute would I guess make it silent and caring no weight actually fits his use better than moot.
  14. AgentofChange Augur

someone beat me too it damn. ^^
  15. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Jesus man, back up a little, you're going to gag yourself if you aren't careful....

Risiko obviously meant MOOT. He is just one more person who is not quite as smart as they think, and uses vocabulary incorrectly. That is not very interesting.

What IS very interesting is your sad and failed attempt to cover up for his gaffe. I'm not sure why you would attempt to do that, but I bet the real reason is pretty Juicy :)
  16. AgentofChange Augur

The real reason is mute McJumps, how dare you
    McJumps likes this.
  17. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Oh so its up for debate? Right Rhodz? Its so confusing, I might need another English lesson from that guy....
  18. Atomos Augur

As of right now 2:19 PM CST there are 810 online which is not only amazing for an emulated server, but a lot more than many retail EQ servers have. I imagine by peak hours there gets up to 1300 or so. This isn't about Phinigel vs. Agnarr vs. P99 though. It's about what would happen if, for example, tomorrow they started allowing P99 players to transfer their characters to Phinigel, what do you imagine would happen to the P99 population over the next several weeks?
  19. Risiko Augur

I'm not sure why you refuse to realize that those people playing on p99 do it because that's what they want to do. Nobody is forcing them to stay on p99. They choose to stay there.

I realize it's a hard concept for some to accept, but some people don't want to play modern EQ content.

Hell it's the same reason that I still play Final Fantasy III rather than Final Fantasy XV. I like old school Final Fantasy. I have no desire to play the newer ones.
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  20. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Risiko, why is it that you don't play on p99? It seems to have EVERYTHING you want. You claim to HATE anything past 1999-2002 EQ so isn't that the perfect server for you? I guess I just don't get why you keep trying to make DBG roll out a p99 server, when one already exists for you to go to.