Dispelling

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dumbledorf, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Dumbledorf Lorekeeper

Can we make dispelling pet buffs and dots/snares(on your target mob) group only? Lots of griefing going on from dispelling dots off mobs people are kiting leaving them oom to get clobbered. Also people going around and dispelling buffs off pets.

Seems like an easy fix. No reason anyone outside your group or raid should be able to dispel any spells you cast on your pet or mobs.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Groups/players don't possess ownership of a mob so the game does not differentiate who is attempting to dispel them, everyone is treated equally so this isn't really a feasible request. There are also plenty of moments on raids/groups where you might need to dispel a buff a mob has but a player debuff has landed in front of it, this is part of EQ and one of the small nuances of the game that makes it what it is, you may as well ask for all dispells on a hostile target to only remove beneficial (this won't happen since sources for this version of dispel are highly sought after and generally class defining).

Also consider this scenario: You are camping a named and a bard runs up and charms the PH then starts running away with it. By removing the ability to dispel the charm as you are asking you are now in a situation where you are just SOL and can no longer attempt to control your camp.

It's a double-edged sword. Yes, being able to dispel things like burnout off player mage pets is basically only used for griefing purposes but without the ability to dispel pets you give everyone with the ability to charm free reign to do whatever they want with whatever mob they want (provided it is charmable).
    Lateryn and doah like this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

As far as i know dispelling burnout was griefing disruptive gameplay and so was dispelling charm if you don't intend to kill.
  4. Noon_yeah Journeyman

It is griefing but daybreak has made a stance of they don't really care.

Most of the time I have it happen, the reason they give is... "suchandsuch guild does it all the time and they never get in trouble."

It just spreads and spreads. Why wouldn't everyone do it if there is clearly no punishment.
  5. Rauven Augur

No.

Under DPS Race, dispels are a legitimate means for non-dot classes to overtake a mob to see who gets credit for the kill. Remember as a dev stated, "DPS wins in ALL situations."

Community wanted DPS race for the classic experience. We got what we wanted. Just how it is now.
  6. Galleyan Augur

Actually, no one really wanted DPS race "for the classic experience." That was a DBG decision that a large majority of people were not pleased with. (Presumably because they can't afford/don't want to budget GMs).

Wild. Wild. West.
    Barton likes this.
  7. Machentoo Augur

Actually, quite a large number of us did. Arguments over it before the switch were pretty balanced in terms of those who supported and those who opposed. The current situation is much preferable for most who played through the completely arbitrary gm resolution of disputes on Fippy/Vulak.
  8. Dumbledorf Lorekeeper

My thought was not to create ownership of the mob, but to create ownership of the spell. You could make it raid/group dispellable.

As for charm, you're right. You'd need another solution like making named mobs un-charmable or something.
  9. Progress Augur

I agree. People outside the group should not be able to cast anything that is considered a negative effect on your pet. There is no legitimate reason for someone to needing to dispel a pet and is only used as a grief tactic.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

If they can make everyone see that a mob is "rare" why not just make "rare" mobs un charmable? You know... just like Efreeti.

To add on... make all named loot in Efreeti camp & Runnyeye lore. That would fix a lot.
  11. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Sorry without dispel anyone with a charm can freely just grab a rare mob and run it away.
    Come up with a solution that doesn't involve lawyer quest and can be enforced by the rules already in the game.

Oh that's DPS and it works quite well already.
  12. MaxTheLion Augur

You don't remove vehicles just because people die in crashes. You remove the bad drivers.
  13. Rauven Augur

Not true, I remember the threads people started 2 years ago when Ragefire opened. There was a large discussion about batphoning and the like. Players largely ignored the FTE ruleset and Daybreak decided not to enforce it because of that.

Then today try asking for changes to Advloot to only include the first hit and people shout it down. There you go. DPS race is what people want. They like it how it is.

You may not like it, but unfortunately you're a minority.
  14. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

^^^

Meh, plenty of bad drivers on the road. it's more like, "sorry your family got killed, but bad drivers are here to stay."

Suck it up buttercups, DPS is king, and your whining won't have any effect in time for this TLP.
  15. Xanathol Augur

LOL no - almost no one wanted 'dps races', before nor now. Repeating it won't make it true.
  16. Finley Augur

I would absolutely love to play on a progression server where every piece of wearable equipment looted from a mob is no drop, and cannot be looted by anyone who wasn't present for the kill. Not suggesting it'd ever happen or should because I assume I'm in a very small minority. But it would completely remove the terrible krono/money/greed driven behavior we see nowadays.
  17. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

That was before instanced raiding, where GM intervention was pretty much random. Now, with GMs openly playing on certain guilds, it would be silly.

The issue here is that a measure that was intended to solve guild conflicts that hardly happend anymore is leaking into the group scene, with dispelling/charming/memblurring being more and more common. Playing under those conditions stops being fun, when you can just wait for the other group/person to get the mob to 1%, charm it, gate, and kill it.

On Fippy/Vulak, guilds and groups that openly and repeatedly tried to "shut down" other guilds/groups were made to stop, at times even kicking them out of the zone for the rest of the day (you must know this better than anyone). Nowadays, it's just "Fancy the bard 2 - Electric Boogaloo".
  18. Galleyan Augur

I actually never said whether I did or did not like it. In terms of guild content, I think DPS race is the only thing that matters. In my day, we had FTE because my server was one of the more "friendly" out of all of them... it worked well for us then. It wouldn't work anymore. That I understand and accept.

As Kahlev said, the problem is that the group content is now treated the same as raid content -- Do *ANYTHING* you have to in order to get ahead. Anything. Train, feign, dispel, charm, use 3rd party programs, etc, etc... just don't talk about it in-game so that there's never any proof that you INTENDED to do anything wrong. Proving intent is nearly impossible, and so long as you don't have proof of that, the small crop of GMs that they do have can't/won't do anything.
  19. Reiker99 Lorekeeper

Who cares about the opinions of people who are pro-KS anyways. That's like inviting a bunch of murderers to vote on whether murder should be illegal or not.
  20. Phantom Ghost Augur

With how much you see on the forums, you'd think the game is rampant with griefers.

You have an occasional incident, but if you have these issues reguarly... maybe you are the problem?