Rare spawns?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aurastrider, May 27, 2017.

1. svann Augur

The spawn rate seems equal to what it was before or possibly even less. Any chance they got the number inversed?
  2. Tour Augur

I'm sure it's working fine. Remember you have a low percent chance to begin with. And on top of that you have a low sample size (and the forum, as a whole, has a huge amount of confirmation bias just to make things more inaccurate). Even if we assume the unspecified bonus is 2x spawn rate, it is still going to be low enough in absolute numbers that's you can't just eyeball it. You're not going to get a feeling one way or another just from playing the game if it is noticeably more or less. The bonus can be working perfectly fine and you still end up with less cause, you know, probability. You need lots of events over a long period of time to make any claims about statistical significance.

Just go have fun playing the game. Any extra name you see that you may not have before is a bonus.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah not sure a weekend is a long enough sampling period and regardless spawn rate will still be low enough that some are going to have bad luck regardless. That being said it would be easy for someone at daybreak to miss changing the spawn rate too but the most likely answer is it was changed.

MAYBE the bonus needs to be a bit higher or maybe a counter should be added to reduce either ends of the RNG (ie less stretches with nothing at all and less stretches of many spawned name over a short period). Reduce the Famine and Feast of named spawn and even it out some in other words.

4. Sissruukk Rogue One

Well, with the group I hang out with on a regular basis, we were camping the Firedowser in KLabs yesterday. We have camped him before, usually a couple of hours at a time (as we are usually evening players) with no luck on getting him to spawn. Yesterday, 8 hours, got him to spawn twice, lol. So, 2 times in 8 hours vs the numerous nights we went in with zero spawn was definitely an increase in the spawn rate for us :p
    Coronay likes this.
  5. Kajira Journeyman

I did House of Thule and the nameds were like the proverbial weeds in my backyard. Hard to keep down, not many I had to do more than 5 ph. Think the worst was 10.

Then I went back in time to Seeds of Destruction and it was pure misery. If Seeds had a spawn increase you could fool me.
  6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Fear Itself was the same way. I was getting named spawns constantly. I ran around the zone and other groups were seeing the same thing, named everywhere. The rate in that zone must be pretty good to start with.
  7. Ultrazen Augur

Rarity creates value in an item. This is especially true in EQ where the items are usually in actuality pretty junk. There are so many games that hand out rewards like candy, one of the reasons that I like EQ is because it's tougher.

I get the frustration, and I have certainly experienced it, but it's a tough balancing act for the game designer. If you make things too easy to acquire, they lose any value.

EQ tends to double dip on rarity, not only do you have to get the rare mob to spawn, but that mob also has to have it's rare spawn on it. That combo can do some serious RNG damage if you get unlucky.
  8. Zahel Journeyman

HoT named always spawned very very very frequently compared to any other expansion in the game.
  9. Zyba New Member

I camped gruplinort in darkened sebilis on test for 4 separate 5-6hr stretches during the increased rare spawn weekend. Never saw him. Cleared the whole room and 2 adjacent, saw 8 or so ositary pops and maybe 4 beetles over the duration. 2 of the beetles were due to extra spawns when the zone was crashing and repopping. Still zero gruplinorts. I've seen him up when others had the camp so I'm certain I wasn't in the wrong place.