Old NPC Models Why Now? (Dev Please Respond If Possible)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brelic, May 10, 2017.

1. Talaran New Member

Umm yeah, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in Saturdays to get those old zones finished, so if you could come in around 9 that would be great. Mmkay?

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm also gonna need you to come in Sundays, too. Okay? We, uh, really need those old zones. Thanks.
    andross77 and Dilf like this.
  2. Wolrok Elder

Well, since this has a dev post, might as well ask a question that isn't likely going to get an answer...

Hey Prathun, I don't know what kind of support you guys plan on giving the old models in this game, but has there ever been any plans or talk of maybe updating the textures/texture resolution of some of the older models/areas? I don't know how much effort went into the texture revamps of Velious and Luclin for older areas, but stuff like this post on the p1999 forums is really cool stuff IMO: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261858

Also I don't know when it happened, but tell the guy that fixed the transparency on the human male plate hat "thank you" for me.
  3. Basak Augur

Indeed.

Toggle for all servers while could take a while I wouldn't mind seeing. It is not something I would use much like I don't use the Luclin player models, I am sure there are others that would use this toggle.

Freeport is the only graphical revamp I think is ridiculous. The others are least conform to what the original zone layout was. If they had changed freeport to the two zones it is now but with the same layout, just graphically enhanced (and place the portal to Arcstone (right?) even in a new floor at the top of the academy - Or even in a different new building added on somewhere) But yeah, if only one thing was changed I'd want the old Freeport back, all others are fine in my eyes. .., To note, even if it would take months as indicated, I wouldn't even mind if the old freeport came about even after launch.
  4. Tristar New Member

I really appreciate the extra details laid out in Prathun's questions and answers post, in part because it grants a brief and useful glimpse behind the scenes to help us grasp what may be involved in the uniquely involved work that they do; and also in part because of the open-minded approach that they take with how they do their gamecraft. It would be hard not to notice how it seems we matter to DBG. That continues to bolster up my previous mention of my support for them and EverQuest. Wish they had a tip jar. : )
  5. Starr Elder

I'd love to get the old Highhold Pass zone. I don't like the new one at all.
  6. Basak Augur

You know, even though the layout is exactly the same I just think the walls are too plain and too tall. It'd be better if the paths were wider to compensate for the height of the walls, or the walls shorter to compensate for the width of the paths. But all in all, If I had to choose one it'd be Freeport getting reverted. Though I will say Highpass is a close second.
    Prathun likes this.
  7. Zanarnar Augur

Ok, does this mean no classic models in revamped zones because they will look silly and out of place (I'm thinking Commonlands, N/S Ro; Nektulos, innothule swamp.. probably missing a zone or two since its early and theres far too much blood in my coffee stream)? Nek 1.0 FTW! (nek 2.0 sucked, nek 3.0 is ok but 1.0 was still better!)

Forgive my assumption about the model/textures the client uses; but the same seems to hold true for the player races. New trolls being radically different the classic, for example. I assume in those cases, based on the settings, it loads different mesh and texture files. I mean clearly you know the codebase better then any of us keyboard warriors but it seems the same approach should work for npc's?

Anyways thanks for the answer, its not what I was hoping for but c'est la vie, I'll live.
  8. ayoforYayoh Augur

Am I really the only one that didn't have lag issues in the old bazaar even without hiding traders?

Which brand of toaster were you playing on??
  9. Haladan Lorekeeper

Well count me out of most players then. Playing with old character models (wich are of course the best! :p ), ALL of those new zones feel painstakingly out of place. Breaks my nostalgic heart in a million pieces to zone into one of those revamped places. I only accept them because I have to but can't exclude that at some point P99 might lure me back just because of this. I can't think of any other priority that is more important for a nostalgia server than "unvamping" these things.
  10. nagash101 Augur

Thank you for the reply to all the questions.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Tbh, I actually like graphical updates, as long as they are faithful. Having old models in revamped zones, gives EQ an inconsistent and jarring artstyle, same reason I disable "new water" in old zones. I hope revamped zones can keep their newer models. :)

The very best news in this thread however, is:
    We are getting more resources for EQ1!!! :D :D
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

I doubt it. Nearly AFK farming of bone chips, the ability to turn in stacks of 100, and the advanced loot window means those quests will be forever nerfed (my opinion).
  13. Snorl Lorekeeper

Really disappointed in this change. Why have people been paying sub fees over the years to support development and advancement just to have it reverted, while requiring more payment to play on the "reversion server", agnarr. The only thing that kind of makes sense in my mind is the inconsistency between some npc models and their zones, but that's more an issue of not updating those zones when the models were updated. The really undesirable change is going back to classic weapon and shield models... most daggers are nothing more than a porcupine quill, swords are a nearly indescribable stick of pixels, etc. Those things look terrible. I'm really against going back to classic weapon models but I guess that's happening. Kind of feels like I'm leasing a hot red sports car and the dealership calls it in to strip the paint off...why?

Again I can understand why some might think a change like this has some merit, but if your going to try and work your way towards a carbon copy of the p99, p2002, etc experience, how can you expect to retain people to a P2P environment when the others are free and in most cases less restrictive.

IMO if a change like this was going in, a toggle should have been a required part of the package. Its obviously something that is going to please some, displease others, and have many who just don't really care enough either way. But for something that is solely cosmetic.... uhg old weapons.
  14. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

This is not your normal progression sever. It should probably be called the nostalgia server. The target audience is people who loved the game then, even if people who love the game now are going to play on it too. Let us have our nostalgia, the gnolls looked cooler then anyway.
  15. Trevalon Augur

So, could we maybe JUST get Freeport changed? I get changing all the zones back would be crazy long and difficult, just curious how hard it would be to only change Freeport back since it is clearly the one that is disliked the most :).

Please?

Pretty Please?
  16. Kelandi Elder

Wow, that thread is impressive.
  17. CyryllisFenninRo Lorekeeper

Thank you so much!!!

I always hated the newer models. I may be biased just a bit because I started in 2000, but I really can't express how happy this change makes me.

I know many others who refuse to use any new models and we have been patiently awaiting the chance to revert old npc models.
  18. Janakin Augur

#RevampRevampedFreeport
  19. smash Augur

Have to say that zones that got really bad with changes to new look are:

Freeport and Lavastorm.

I understand that bazaar got changed due to lag.

But imo when changes mob types to old look you also need to change zones to old look.

But imo changing mobs to old look are resources that could be better spend.

When that is said a conclusion could be "Do not rewamp zones anymore", since it has been basically a thing a lot of players did not like.

Or maybe ask players what they think before posting resouces on the job.
  20. Brelic Elder

Prathun,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread; I really appreciate the through explanation of why these changes occurred and it makes perfect sense. Also thank you and your team for the dedication to and for the continued support of this game.