Agnarr Starting Guide

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kyllvyn, May 7, 2017.

1. Kyllvyn Journeyman

Is there any TLP starting guides floating around out there?

After coming back to EQ from being gone such a long time, things have changed. So I've been doing a bit of research for the opening days of Agnarr and just about every guide I've come across seems to think you'll have a ton of PP and access to a fully stocked bazaar to tweak your newbe character out.

While I have found some threads and parts of post that have been helpful. I'm hoping someone has put together a easy to read 'Guide to a new TLP server' book.
  2. Trevalon Augur

There really isnt anything different than its ever been. Kill Mobs, Loot items, buy spells, rinse and repeat to max level.

That's really all EQ is.

People want to make EQ out like its rocket science, but its not, just find a group and exp until you can find a group to raid with or make alts. That is the whole game.
    Kogmaw, Illusory and andross77 like this.
  3. Aaramis Augur

Almar has an ok progression server guide I guess. It's moreso just "level 1-6 in your newbie zone, then go to Blackburrow / Crushbone / Commonlands orcs, etc." and not quite the nitty gritty details such as what mobs yield the best starting cash; which zones will be more heavily populated than others; all of the zone changes and what zones have new mobs and out-of-era stuff, even if it's just cash items; the fact that Harm Touch and Lay on Hands are now AAs and you need to find them in your AA list to hotbar them before you can use them. Stuff like that isn't listed.
    If you're new to returning to EQ and haven't seen the new zone revamps, or used the new loot feature, or stuff like that, it's probably worth a day of mucking about getting the hang of things again.

But for the most part, as Trevalon said, it's the same as always. Kill mobs. Loot stuff. Get xp. Level up.
    Some stuff is a little different now, such as being able to stay in some "newbie" areas such as Nektulos and go right to level 20+ if inclined. Hell, Dark Elves can go 1-50 just using Nektulos + Lavastorm + Sol A+B. No jboots required; everything is a short jaunt.
  4. Kyllvyn Journeyman

There's actually a number of new stuff that's been added/changed since the last time I played.

Quests are completely different and there seems like there will be a lot of these not 'enabled' on a newly opened TLP server.

then there's stuff like the Origin button: Been trying to relearn EQ for the last two weeks and I just learned about the Origin button. Wonder how many other things have been changed added in I've missed so far?
  5. Bewts Augur

1-6 Newbie Area
    6-30 Unrest
    30-50 LGuk

A consistent playgroup will improve your XP/Hour, so will one better designed for DPS. Charm pets are pretty OP, so are swarms of mage / necro pets.
    Illusory likes this.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Unrest at 6? Isn't it more like 9? I honestly don't know but 6 sounds low unless you are gimped in.
  7. FurryBearArms New Member

I was thinking the same thing. Unless you had a full group of level 6's then you could probably take the entrance mobs.
  8. Bewts Augur

Purely speaking from someone who just ran a SK + 5 mages through unrest 6-30 without any twinking or gear other than what I looted, 6 is the lowest (you go through a lot of pets) just killing beetles. They don't hit very hard tbh, careful pulling is necessary to avoid the higher level yard trash.

8-9 is arguably a better time to PUG unrest Yard, but a playgroup should be able to handle the yard a bit lower.

And yes, gimping in with a higher group would be the preferred option if you don't have a play group.

Again, this is purely min/max group setups. If you're rocking a Druid, rogue, warrior and bard with two mages you're going to have to wait until 9-10 for the yard.
  9. Illusory Augur

If you don't already know about em, here are a few I find important:

There are going to be a lot of npc corpses around, use /hidecorpse to get rid of them!
    - This also hides PC corpses, so use /showcorpse, to get them back.

Agnarr and Phinigel both support load balancing (aka instancing,) and you can use /pickzone to show a list of zone instances and switch between them.

Someone causing you grief, but they're hiding behind ANON because they want to hide their guild tag like the corwards they are? /guildstatus

(I'll add more as I can think of them, but maybe others have some cool ones to add as well!)
  10. Bewts Augur

TL;DR - Level 6 + Pet Class based group should be in Unrest if fast XP is your goal.

Re-ran Unrest yard tonight for a 1-10 play through (all gnomes, SK + 5 Mages). Necros are more efficient but Mage epic pets take the cake for a much longer term return. Gnomes are the second closest option for mages (ugly tall High Elves are technically closer to Unrest by half a zone but you have to use a paladin instead of a SK for a tank to drive the mages).

At 6 and 7 everything was red. A single clear of yard trash on the right side was all of level 6. A clear of the spawns plus a few more got me through 7.

At 8 you got a few yellows. A got a ghoul add and he was tough at 8; avoided the one that spawned the remainder of the time. Also got sloppy and took 4 mins at once, 3 red and 1 yellow.

At 9-10 it's a mix of red and yellow. Beetles can go as low as 10, so I'm expecting some even cons if I stay in the yard. The goals should be to stick with yellow/low reds as often as possible.

Took an hour give or take to go 6-10, no gear just mages and pets and I was interrupted twice to help with my newborn. I drove through the SK who really doesn't do much other than pull and life tap if he has to taunt off a pet and takes damage.

As I said go to UR at 6, but bring the right group. Later on the group makeup only matters if you want to get through UR in a few hours or stick to a casual style.

Raid permitting I should reach 20 after another 2-3 hours tonight. Level 10 is new tier of pets for my mages, so I'll probably push the button and head on inside at 10. Maybe I'll test them on the outside ghoul before playing with fire ;)
  11. Magic Augur

Isnt them sayd mage pets will be less strong on Agnarr? (No Luclin)
    So it will be not so easy to kill reds in Unrest i think.
  12. Dulu Augur

How many pets do you go through at level 10 per beetle? Could 2 pets tank at 10 with a healer? Can you record and post some footage? This is very interesting to me, and I want more nitty gritty details.

Thank you so much for your work.
  13. Wolrok Elder

Pet damage isn't scaled down, but pet defense is. Pets are super squishy at first on TLPs, and there's no server currently up that allows you to see how squishy (it's not Agnarr specific).
  14. JusticeBringer New Member

What about gearing? What is the best way to gear your characters when you are mostly in those three zones?
  15. Tachyon Augur

Outside of Warrior gear isn't too much of a concern in Classic. You can survive with what you get along the way, especially down in LGuk. Just get to level 46 and then hit the Planes for drops.
  16. Bewts Augur

Collect and merch everything.

Casters need very little in gear all considered. That is why casters are preferred first characters as melee rely on weapons and gear to be effective.

If you level fast enough and are early to market on FBSS / SSOY you'll have all the cash you need to purchase gear.
  17. Bewts Augur

No footage, but I'll test just two pets tonight for you.

It doesn't take much time to test this yourself on RF/LJ btw, maybe 2 hours to set it all up and level?
  18. Brelic Elder

19. elebertus Journeyman

What I found really helpful was to just roll a few characters and play through the first 5 levels or so, just to get used to the game again. I hadn't played for almost 2 years - and more than a decade before that.
    As other have mentioned, almar's guides is a great spot for getting your head around what zones you should be looking at, etc.
    The other thing I'd consider is looking to see if there's any class specific quests that are worth doing, and if you plan on doing any trade skills. Both of those things might influence where you want to start or where you want to focus on killing stuff early on.
    Good thing is groups will be easy to get no matter what race/class/diety combo you have. I wouldn't stress too much unless you're really wanting to just poopsock.
  20. Bewts Augur

You will be fine with the level 10 water pets and a healer.

Solo pulls will be fine, you may be pressed a bit with multiple mobs on a single pet however.