What do you think of true box?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinytinker, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No they're not. But you keep thinking that.
    Xanathol and Stewgottz like this.
  2. Stewgottz Augur

It's good intention, but players can consume krono on any server and activate a bunch of accounts all access, then farm Plats and items and such and buy the krono generated on the new server.

People are obviously in love with True box as evidenced by Phinny's population. Its not for everyone but not everything should be for everyone :)
  3. Machen New Member

This is not necessarily true. I think the major driving force on Phinny is the instanced raiding. Good chance in my opinion that the server would be doing just as well with instancing + boxing.
    Stewgottz likes this.
  4. Fancy Elder

If it is possible, I'd like a 2 box server. I don't necessarily think boxing was as destructive as people think, but bot armies were. Why they decided to allow that program that sends simultaneous commands to innumerable accounts is beyond me, it was so much more damaging than M Q, but was openly allowed. It was the most obvious thing to see on RF too, 10 mages standing and nuking at the exact same time.

If it were possible to limit to two instances so, as someone said earlier you could do your two char combo, that would be ideal for me, but I understand not for everyone.

Boxing = ok
    Box armies = destroy the server
    Sokki likes this.
  5. Stewgottz Augur

I agree 10000% but I don't think DBG will risk not pairing the two rulesets.
  6. AgentofChange Augur

Why not? They'd make considerably more money
    Stewgottz likes this.
  7. Stewgottz Augur

I don't mind being wrong.
  8. nantalbus Elder

the biggest thing I have though bout true boxing is how in the world did the dervs get the ok form the big wigs. As someone who has a AA in business, it always seemed a money loser to me. To me if ran a game company and someone came to me and said they wanted to input a code that make it so people where limited to one account per system even if its only on one sever, Unless they had enough proof to prove to me that it make money and not be a lose, I would veto that idea fast and be asking the person why I should not fire them for trying to lose the company money.
  9. Hdizzle Augur

Interesting read this thread, Its like people are totally against any type of boxing or they don't mind it all. Very few middle ground suggestions because frankly there aren't middle ground solutions to this problem.

If anyone played on Ragefire when it launched, you would know droves of people quit because of Mage armies which lead to MoTM on raid targets and eventually MoTW debuffs and a whole slew of changes for pets in general. There were other issues like rotations not being enforced, the length of unlocks etc etc but what else is new on a TLP.

I'm guessing the subs lost there was the justification for making a True box server.

I've said it before, DB should have just pushed back Rage and Lockjaw and announced they were working on instancing classic raids and I think that would have satisfied players. If they make this new server instancing with Ragefire unlocks and exp they should just close Ragefire and Lockjaw because there really is no reason to stay there.

How do I feel about truebox? It's stupid and not necessary with picks and instances. If theres no box armies camping Gebs, it'll be 4 or 5 dudes from uuber guild 052 just camping them to sell in the tunnel. Its a silly antiquated and poor quality of life rule. I don't expect people to agree, this is my opinion.

And yes instancing plus boxing is the obvious solution to a homerun server.

DBG: Instances raids, takes away exp rates and boxes to make it harder to get to the instanced raids. Lol
  10. Heartland Augur

Spoken like a true cheater
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  11. Fancy Elder

How do you glean this? Preconceived notions with no support? Because he knows what M Q is? As you obviously do to? Because he stated he liked to box on one computer...that's not cheating good sir.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to this thus far constructive thread though, back to the idea at hand.

I'm curious if it was the mages that made box armies so terrible, or was it the ability to run your own raids? I know on RF we had to use a ton of boxes just to compete, and they were all mages, when they got nerfed we stopped needing them in dps races, wizards became the new thing and they became the most boxed class.
  12. Xanathol Augur

2 boxes allowed would be perfect. A 2 box per computer classic / original server with all classes playable, without races to unlock content, and no 3rd party apps / automated play would be exceptional.

The real griefing issue is automated game play, no matter if it is M, I, or any other app. The solution is simple - ban all automated play. You could scan client process lists, log accounts by IP, time their actions, flag it for patterns that are obviously auotmated (well timed, repetitive, simultaneous action / movement, etc) and ban once discovered. And of course, should that fail, real GMs are always an option too.
  13. Twistingtime New Member

Because one guy playing 20 accounts is great... right up until 50 other people who had 1-2 accounts each quits because of him. A lot of the problems with box armies could be seen in the grouping game, not just in the raid game. It made for an un-appealing in game environment and folks quit over it. People were quitting RF and LJ in waves, long before Phinny was announced. And it wasn't just because of raid problems. True-box is a very big part of why Phinny works. Excessive boxing makes for a mediocre community, and mediocre communities don't retain players. If you don't need friends, you don't bother making friends. If you don't make friends you are less likely to stick around through the boring, end of expansion, stretches. Community is, hands down, the biggest tool they have for retaining players.

Boxing + instances would kill RF/LJ, but I doubt it would do much to Phinny. People are happy there. They have put a lot of work into their characters, and they have developed relationships. Most Phinny players played on RF/LJ too, so they already started over once. No one I have spoken with is excited to do it again. Not much a new server can add that would be strong enough to pull them away, not even 1 computer boxing. If they were that attached to 1 computer boxing they wouldn't have come to Phinny in the first place. Most of my guild is actually excited about the post-PoP era. They are looking forward to seeing new content, and to do so on a strong server.
  14. Trevalon Augur

I like the true box. While it may not be perfect, it has definitely lowered the amount of 6+ boxers on the server. I would be ok if you could box 1 other box, but what ruined LJ/RF was the abundance of mega boxers...and I for one am very happy to be done with those people.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  15. Yaewin New Member

I love the true box server setup on Phinny. I won't play on any server without this code. This rule set is the only reason my friends and I came back to the game after being gone 5+ years to be honest.

Edit - the raid instancing was just a bonus, but that alone wouldn't have brought us back.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  16. Hdizzle Augur

5+ years eh? Welcome back.

Hate to break it to ya, but at least half your server boxes multiple toons. Does that bother you or is it when people box entire raids from one PC? I ask because being gone 5+ years I don't think you encountered that on Ragefire, MAYBE fippy that was 2011..

If Phinny had no instanced raids and was solely a truebox server you'd be playing on a very very low population server. EQ is meant to played by groups of characters, weather they be one person playing 6, or 6 people playing 1, or 2 people playing 3. No one can deem one way "right" or "wrong".

Alright enough ForumQuest for me.

Haha they blocked Foru M Q uest edit**
  17. Chatoyan Elder

I've been 3-boxing for years, on two machines (sk on one, alt-tabbing between shm/mage on the other). I still 3-box on Phinny, but I find it slightly more annoying to have to use 3 computers. It's not that it's more difficult, it's just that the years of built up muscle memory need to be unlearned. I'd like to be able to run two instances on one machine again, but it's not something I'd switch servers for at this point.

That said, I've spent more time playing a single character, in groups on Phinny, than I have in years. The main reason I still 3-box is that I've found getting a group to be EXTREMELY hit-or-miss. Either I have an invite in 5 minutes, or I alt-hop for two hours and don't get any offers at all (current classes include bard, druid, pally, mage, sk, ranger, bst, sham, cleric, chanter, wiz). I don't enjoy wasting time lfg, so it's easier to just fire up my other machines and go grind somewhere by myself.
  18. Hateseeker Augur

It's a moral failure on the part of Daybreak, when boxing isn't the problem - allowing use of input cloning is. That's how folks box 40 accounts that they could not possibly control without artificial assistance.

My guess would be, if someone has had a negative experience with a boxer, it was an input cloning program user. No one seems to want to look at the actual mechanics of the problem, though.
  19. Polekn Augur

If not true box I'd be done with EQ after playing on RF and LJ for a few weeks. I do not care about the new server, it can have m. que two/i.s. boxer enabled for all I care. I am enjoying Phinny. However dev's disconnect with the games bothers me a lot, both planned simultaneous GOD/OOW unlock and POS bottleneck.
  20. Damion New Member

Im with alot of the others in the thread.

I left EQ after the cesspools that are Magefire and Boxjaw. Truebox is the only thing that got me back and now playing happily on Phinny.

Yeah, there is boxing on Phinny as well, but not nearly in the same amount.