Expansions ruin the 1 to 50 game

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Arclan, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Arclan Elder

Isn't that sort of like saying, hey that movie you like? Well you can watch the first 20 minutes of it as many times as you want.
  2. Ravil Journeyman

I think you guys are just getting troll hardcore. Who really thinks 1-12 is great? You don't even have all your class defining abilities by lvl 12, it is probably one of the most tedious parts of the game if you don't get PL'd.
  3. Machen New Member

Yeah, well, we can see how well that worked out!
    Reht likes this.
  4. Nolrog Augur

Completely agree. There are so many different opinions that someone will complain.

And if the current TLPs are any example, people don't want to be stuck in one place forever. Lockjaw is haivng a population drop because of the lack of things to do, even though we're currently locked in Velious. The same was true of Phini. I expect both will see a jump in population as soon as Luclin comes out.
  5. Arclan Elder

I think the population of Lockjaw has a very long, and locked, thread dedicated to it :) Having just read, and been quite amused by it in the past hour.

As I mentioned in group last night, after a PL joined it and began "helping" us; it is a very WoW mindset to think one must get to max level in order to enjoy the game. As a player whose golden EQ years were July 1999 to July 2000, I can say there is much fun to be had in the journey; and I've no desire to rush through it.

If people like PL so much, they'd be doing it much more easily on their own servers; instead of polluting the TLPs.
  6. Sindaiann Augur

I thought you said you were done posting on page 1? So much for that
    Reht likes this.
  7. HerroThere Journeyman

When a game solely requires the skill of "pay attention" to conquer it's already trivial regardless of gear.

There is nothing difficult in EQ unless you purposely make it difficult by handicapping yourself.

All of the content currently in this era could be done by skilled people wearing fine steel/banded armor or insert your caster/leather equivalent even without those nifty pet exploits if they brought numbers.

Then what would you complain about? Banded armor ruining the game?
  8. -wycca Augur

Everytime I start to think that, there's always special snowflakes or even entire guilds who disprove that assumption =P.
  9. snailish Augur

Not soon, but someday... Daybreak could certainly launch a server that was locked in an era (or a couple of servers in a ladder). TLPcopy is a decent idea (with the slight flaw of allowing you to Dupe gear? --Depending on how it was done... Circlet of Shadow comes to mind as where this would be an issue as they intentionally give a short timeframe of acquiring it on a new server).

So if you feel done with the Classic you could move on to Velious lock, Pop Lock or any other server. No moving back though.

I kind of feel like what the OP would rather have though is a server where all the loot was nodrop, with the truebox code. You could still put better gear on a character though... just need to babysit them to the higher drops.
  10. Constellation Augur

I tried to find current numbers for Everquest and I didn't find anything. Does someone know what the current population is like on EQ?
  11. Gremin Augur

Everquest is not about what level you are, how many AA you have, or the gear you have. It is about who you group with, what friends you make along the way and have fun doing so. No matter what game you play older content becomes trivialized over time just as gear does. It is the nature of MMO's, its hard to keep content relative.
  12. Constellation Augur

To be honest gnomes and Ducreux ruined everything past 50!
  13. zarkolov Lorekeeper

I think this is being looked at the wrong way and that there is a problem but its not fungi tunic and level 60 making 1 to 50 to easy its that they need to make it easier in fun and interesting new ways
  14. Aenoan Augur

For starters, The Sleeper came out first then Combine shortly after, I know I played there until the merge with combine.

Two, Blizzards' Titan project wasn't fully scrapped. The game is called Overwatch.
  15. zarkolov Lorekeeper

i was thinking more like they should make the ultimate quest for mightyness that lets you get skills or spells earlier than your class normally supposed to
  16. Machen New Member

Keep in mind that much of the player base on the current tlp's has played through the classic era four, five or six times now, between original classic, Combine/Sleeper, Fippy/Vulak, Ragefire/Lockjaw, and now Phinigel (and for many you can throw in P99 as well.) When you can from memory completely and accurately reproduce the eqatlas maps for most of the classic zones*, at some point people become interested in getting to less familiar content more quickly. Especially when you're on your second, third, fourth or tenth toon to level up on a new server. Maybe you don't have a desire to rush through it, but the game can be played in more than one way, and other people might just enjoy different things than you do.

Maybe the problem isn't that people are powerleveling now, but that you started late and missed the classic era when everyone WAS content to play through that content yet another time.

*This would be a fun fan faire contest if they still did fan faire!
    Pikallo and snailish like this.
  17. Ladysoth Augur

Fine. Enjoy it. But don't come here insinuating that all of us who can't stand leveling unassisted because we've done it 20 times (21 times in my case, actually, getting a character from 1 to 60) are wrong or have a bad mindset or are somehow worse people for not wanting to around with seeing

You try to slash a moss snake, but miss!
    You slash a moss snake for 2 points of damage.

for hours on end. Or, even better, having a mana bar that allows us to kill two mobs, and then we go afk for 6 minutes while we med it back to do it again.

I've always enjoyed the high level game much more than the low level, and that's okay. I would never tell you you're wrong for not wanting to be PL'ed and wanting to enjoy the journey and all that. But for some reason there are a lot of people in your boat who love to denigrate those of us who do want to just "rush through" the part of the game they liked least to get to the part of the game they liked most. You like the 1-12 game; I like the 55-60 game. What makes your preference better than mine?

I would actually love to know how many people it would take to kill AoW or Lord Vyemm if all the tanks were wearing fine steel and banded. I'm sure it's probably doable with enough people, it'd just look like the aftermath of Pickett's Charge once you were done.
  18. Gremin Augur

Hate to break it to you but Combine was considered first, and Sleeper second. DHS has always been a 2nd server guild.
  19. Sleppen Augur

There was a time when I actually started to feel some sympathy for the classic server zealots. That time passed. When each succeeding progression server proved that the demand for a permanent old world server was next to nil, the zealots just got more and more delusional. So now the Fungi Tunic ruins the old world content? Oh-kay.
  20. Behee Augur

Yeah, the OP could make up a guild of like minded people and cap themselves at classic EQ loot.

But further expansions exist, people play in them when they are released, and people use the gear that drops. Plus many people twink or power level their alts. It's entirely common, despite the OP's strong attitudes to the contrary.

I can't remember the last time a group said No to my out-of-group Clarity, or for a high level res when the group wipes. The response is very positive.

It's a tiny group of players who rigidly wish to play with no other expansions and no other perks. That said, they are free to do so. One thing I have always supported though is the ability to turn off experience all together, so someone can lock in their level. That way people like the OP can lock in at level 50, and self regulate the quality of the loot on any server.