Expansions ruin the 1 to 50 game

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Arclan, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Arclan Elder

@Sindalann, yes I was done posting here; until some forum complainers got my other threat deleted; so you can assume any posts I make here are posts I'd, instead, be making over there. I said as much, but it seems the concept eludes you.
  2. Chuuk Augur

What the game makers need to do is make the 1-50 game meaningful. Most people want to skip to endgame content to either get to a portion of the game they more enjoy, show how dope they are, or RMT. Whatever it is...if there's really no *need* to play the 1-50 game except that it's the only way to get to 51, then they don't want to play it. Compounding that is the fact that most of us have done it countless times.

OP sounds like he needs to get into a brand spanking new MMO (pantheon could be right for you).
    Arclan likes this.
  3. Arclan Elder

A lot of curious replies; but I appreciate the bump. Some citing people have leveled through all the TLPs and are bored with it. My next question is, why are they, *again*, leveling a character?

My problem is with PPL, or Parasitic Power Leveling. If people want to wear fungis and box their 60s, go to some other zone. Don't go to crowded zones simply because of your inability to PL fast enough. If PL is so desirable, why can they not find other like minded players to PL with, instead of imposing on real players seeking excitement.

Adding a level requirement to Fungi, and denying high levels the ability to enter low level dungeons are two options. Doubtful it will happen but did you want to instead talk about the weather?
  4. Arclan Elder

Chuuk I appreciate your point, but I'm reminded what a dud the 51/50 server (Mayong) was. Died after one year.

And btw, Aeonoan is wrong when he says The Combine was not the first progression server:

"Jun 19, 2016: We are going to open up a second progression server named The Sleeper on June 28th."

Interesting albeit verbose article regarding P1, which I played at launch.: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=7551
  5. Thor1930 New Member

Because maybe people like certain parts of the game that you have to level a character to get to.

No.

Someone having a fungi and a level 60 doesnt mean theyre not allowed to go to X, Y, or Z zone (defined
    here as "whatever zone Arclan is in") You not having a fungi or level 60 doesnt mean you get to become the Unrest or Upper Guk police.

They go to whatever zone is fastest for them to level in, which is the same reason youre there. If you want to avoid PLers go level in the Karanas.

Theyre real players too, dickbag. They've just spent more time on the game than you and are further progressed.

You not having a fungi or a level 60 does not mean youre a better person than they are or more entitled to annoyance-free playtime. This can be repeated as many times as needed.

Right so obviously leveling 1-50 is the most fun to be had in EQ, and because Mayong failed, that must mean everything after that is just garbage. Kinda makes you wonder why all these hundreds of 60s play every day on Phinigel, Lockjaw, Ragefire.
  6. Arclan Elder

I think my desire to consume level appropriate content in level appropriate gear is more important than your ego, or desire to PL. My conduct encourages new players to stay; yours drives them away. It's curious to see PLs lament the abandonment of their server when they may have played a role. If people flock to a new server it's because they don't enjoy the present one.

That said, I want to be clear it hasn't really been a big problem. It ruined a few hours for me; but other than that, the other dozens of hours I've spent on Phinigel have been quite fun.

If this gets locked, that's ok; the topic appears to be evolving anyhow.
  7. -wycca Augur

The irony of course, is some of these discussions date back to 2000. This thread could mostly have been transplanted back to then.
  8. Arclan Elder

I'd create another thread but someone would probably get it deleted.

Regarding abandoned servers, the ones really punished are the ordinary players (not the PL types). To that end, I think it fair if DBG permitted players who level much slower than 'raider' types to transfer to newly launched progression servers. Perhaps not at launch, but maybe a month or two in.
  9. Ladysoth Augur

What you want to do in the game isn't more important than what other people want to do in the game. This is about one of the most arrogant things I've ever read on these forums. :rolleyes:
    Sendori, code-zero, Thor1930 and 2 others like this.
  10. Reht The Dude abides...

They stopped releasing sub info sometime around 2003-2004.
  11. Sindaiann Augur

I think you have a common misconception that people here on these forums actually care about what is important to "you"

More than enough people have disagreed here with you. Congrats you voiced your opinion.

This thread serves no purpose other than for you to troll. Period.
  12. Brumski Augur

Expansions wont kill classic on TLP, the slow XP will. People starting alts or fresh to the server will be that much farther behind with fewer normal groups and crap solo XP. It's already gotten to the point that many groups have lvl 60's oog buffing, healing, dps'ing, or PL'ing. Sure, PL may be fast (relatively), but isn't that much fun.
  13. Arclan Elder

I may have found another way of explaining it. And it has never been about me and. likewise, never been about you. The goal is player retention.

The server at launch is a vastly different player experience than it is after expansions unlock. Based on the player and subscriber surges brought by TLP launches, this appears to be the preferred player experience.

Couldn't we preserve some element of that server launch experience by adding level requirements to gear? Because gear, at server launch, absolutely has level requirements. You won't see anyone below 46 killing the Myconid Spore King initially. Perhaps also add max levels for dungeons; or perhaps force players above a certain level into one instance; and level appropriate players into the main instance.

Surely DBG could launch a server with these rules as an experiment.
  14. AgentofChange Augur

You won't see anyone killing the Myconid Spore King at server launch because it doesn't exist in classic.
  15. Arclan Elder

You attempt to split a hair, but miss. You have gotten better at bumping posts (1).

If DBG launched a new (non TLP) server, the fungi most certainly would exist.
  16. AgentofChange Augur

Why would anyone want to play on a new non-tlp server that sounds awful

You realize defiant gear would exist on it and ruin your entire premise right??
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL, OK. I pay the same subscription fee you do.
  18. Sleppen Augur

No one who has followed the endless threads on this subject over the last 10-12 years is going to buy the argument that your goal is player retention, Your goal is getting a personalized boutique server. If DBG gave you one, that would be fine with me. For all I care, DBG could instance the entire classic game just for you so that you and your handful of pals can spend years killing orcs, dervishes, and crocs. Your angle these days seems to be finding a way to get the boutique server AND to force other people to play on it. Good luck with that.

The lesson from the TLP servers is that the preferred player experience is for expansions to unlock. The argument is how fast they should open, not whether.
  19. zarkolov Lorekeeper

Maybe making level requirements to make the game harder isnt the answer i said it before in page three making things easier would be better make things easier by interesting new ways of getting to level 51 to enjoy the new expansions rather than making things harder to get to level 51 maybe add in roleplaying forums and things for people who been working on things other than raiding such as the in game message boards system but maybe only let guilds who afford them and are responsible to be on there have them.
  20. Coach_Kegadin Augur

Y'all ready to PVP these fools yet?