Should there be raid-quality chase loot in Empires of Kunark?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ZenMaster, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Agreed and I always assumed the original reason for this kind of chase loot was to drive krono sales. I bought some krono to buy some of those drops so it worked on me. :) But also agreed it is just P2W when it comes down to it.

Given my preference I would like to see more open raids on current content then buying items via krono but this also helps make more money for Daybreak and the more relevant the cash flow from EQ is the better for all of us. As the income from EQ goes down the greater the indifference shows to the player base.
  2. savrin Augur

I would be okay with old raid gear(1 or more expansions behind) dropping with very rare chance of a drop. Like 1/100000
    Anything equivalent to EoK raid gear = nope. Raiding is not hard nor does it requires lots of time. If you want current raid gear go join a raiding guild.

Also, even old raid gear is miles above even the best group gear and imo you don't even need that to group unless they make it as hard as say Underfoot.
  3. Schadenfreude Augur

I've always enjoyed random drops and TBM was a backward step from TDS in this regard. That said I'd be more than happy if they added expansion wide rare drop bags, augments, clicks, illusions and chase gear.
  4. Jaerlyn Augur

Exactly. So no reason to give them, and only them, high-quality loot.

Nothing wrong with a few pieces dropping on group content. The tradable vs no-trade is a different issue and I'm less a fan of tradeable high-end gear, but as many have said, it's that gear that helps drive krono sales, and money keeps the game going.
  5. segap Augur

Not like group content takes much time or effort. Difference is in coordinating a large group versus grabbing a friend or two or just boxing.

No problem with previous expansion equivalent rare drops, but let's not equate group content effort and rewards to raid content and rewards. There are differences in the commitment and scale between the two.
  6. Critts Augur

It's actually 1 lb. Cragbeast Meat and 1 lb. Hynid Meat
  7. savrin Augur

I honestly don't care about krono sales as I do not buy or sell them nor do I care if it keeps the game going or not. While raid gear does not require a lot of work to do, it does require raid leadership and strategy and 53 other people so that is why current raid gear= no for me. TBM equivalent raid gear I would be fine with as it is still high-quality loot just not the best high quality loot.
  8. Aurastrider Augur

I love the idea of rare expansion drops. For those who spend countless hours in an expansion content it's a nice reward when one drops. For the hardcore raiders who don't like the idea the reality is they are so rare it would be nearly impossible to even get a full set of this gear. There is no reason the non raiders shouldn't have a chance at a couple of high end items. For those that say raid it's not that simple as this games population gets older and RL conflicts with EQ life. In the end the raid players will still have far superior gear vs the non raider who obtains a couple pieces of chase loot.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The only hiccup in chase loots was the Percutio. The 357 dmg/37 delay was a current raid ratio with an excellent proc and high heroics. Though any looted in the CoTF time period would have sold for a dozen or more Krono. It's still a nice weapon today with a top 10 ratio for SK/Pally in dps?
  10. Qbert Gallifreyan

You might want to look again. It was equal to the prior expansion (RoF) raid weapon in ratio, not the then-current (CoTF). To make it more fun, they never put a 2h in the next set that dropped in TDS. It was higher than some of the lowest-tier raid stuff, but that is no different than the other weapons for other classes.

http://www.raidloot.com/Search.aspx?type=Weapon_2Hand&order=WeaponRatio
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

While I would love chase loot to reappear Daybreak may have found an alternate mechanism to boost chrono sales that being the Quarm style server. Krono sales definitely got a boost from this server and people get access raid quality loot via the prize which could be taken in current expansion loot currency. But this method also helps them get more all access subscriptions if only on a temporary basis.

Whether we see a reappearance of chase loot may depend on how they evaluate the benefits Daybreak got from Quarm.

The only downside to chase loot done the way it was in TDS is that it also encourages botting to go through mass quantities of mods and get the very rare drops.

I like chase loot myself but I can see reasons it might not come back is all I am saying.
  12. Thraine Augur

The issue i have with chase loot is that someobe with plently of disposal income can just buy a bag of kronos, sell them in game and get a full suit of chase loot .. making eq a pay to win game
  13. Brohg Augur

except they don't actually win :p

anyone who can log in 2-3 times a week for raiding will have way better stuff
  14. Thraine Augur

Ohh they win in the group game, and then say they go to app to a raiding guild .. they can essentially skip over the stepping stone guilds and go right to a top 10 guild do to the fact they probably meet the reqs for those guilds. It was a lot like this during classic and kunark where you could buy and sell raid loot and it was a bit of a mess just ask anyone on a TLP server. So while i agree actual raid loot is better .. chase items allow for a pay to win feature that screws over the little guy all while the folks at DBG laugh while counting their stacks of cash from krono sales
  15. Bamboompow Augur

There is no harm in chasers dropping.

Raiding takes less time over all from a pursuit of gear aspect, but not everyone has the right combination of schedule/timezone/consistency to meet the demands of raiding. Currently, if you are not working a structured 9-5 job and living east of the Mississippi, chances are you are not raiding consistently if at all. Mostly open stuff with the alts of the big names and the rest of the server's misfits which really doesn't guarantee upgrades but at least offers the experience of something past just group content. TBM didn't have much depth as far as the group game, so in a similar case, chasers at least give a non raider a reason to keep playing.
  16. Vanda Journeyman

Chase loot keeps things interesting particularly when conducting tedious tasks and named farming. One of the reasons DoDH is one my favorite expansions was due to the rare zone wide drops and dungeon crawl feel. Sign me up for more bags, clickies, and illusions. I have no problem with the gear because it seems to be ultra rare anyway.
  17. --Voodoo-- Augur

Go play a game like Wartune if you want to see what "pay to win" means. Chase loot doesn't come close.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Brohg like this.
  18. Brohg Augur

fwiw, group gear is totally fine to app to my guild which is tops on server. The guild gets plenty of gear, we don't expect apps to come in already having what we can provide. The AA, the augments, tha skillz - matter ~infinitely more than 12 extra +atk on a random earring or cloak.
    Sancus likes this.
  19. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

...and get kicked right out of the top ten guild because they don't know how to play (unless they do)

Skill more than makes up for gear.
  20. Kaliko Augur

This 100%.... Anyone that's skilled whether its a dps ,healer, or tank that can master their class will do exceptionally well no matter what gear.... as someone who's played all melee/hybrids at 105 in group gear they can all easily sustain 50k+ dps in groups with no adps and be competitive on burns. As far as tanking goes they might be limited to not being able to tank 5 tbm mobs at once without discs, but as long as their aggro and disci timing is top notch i'll take that anyday.