Info on modifying the default UI

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Risiko Augur

I'm wanting to dabble a little with modifying the UI, and I can't seem to find info on where to begin. I searched the forums for UI which brought back nothing for some reason.

Would someone please link me to some reference material or how-to guides on modifying the user interface?

I know there are custom UIs out there, but I just want to make some slight changes to the default. In general, right now I just want to add the experience bar to the Player Window, so it shows Health, Mana, Endurance, and Experience.

Thanks
  2. Makavien Augur

There really is not much it is spread around the eqinterface forums . Search for eqtype list and use notepad ++ open some custom xml documents look over how they work then also download G.I.M.P. and teach yourself how to make custom graphics and also learn how to organize well .
    Risiko likes this.
  3. Vanrau Augur

You can find a bunch of info on UI modding on eqinterface.com.

The format of location of windows, pieces in my opinion takes a bit to understand.

However, gauges and labels are pretty straight forward. Just look for eqtypes on that site and it will have a full listing, including the HP, Mana, Endurance and Experience gauges and labels.

You'll need to create folder in your uifiles folder. The folder name can't have any spaces or special characters. Copy your default folder files into this new custom folder. Modify the player window in the custom folder.
    Fanra and Risiko like this.
  4. Risiko Augur

5. Blackjaw_SolRo Lorekeeper

You only need to have the differing UI piece(s) in your custom folder, i.e. eq-folder\uifiles\yourUIname\EQUI_PlayerWindow.xml. Everything the program does not find there is taken from the default folder. That way you will not get messed up too much on official UI updates; just have to look out if your modified pieces got changed too, and copy the official changes into your file.
    Fanra likes this.
  6. Tobin Augur

7. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

For some reason since the last patch on Test I can't get custom UIs to load. I've downloaded all of the ones I use yesterday and uncompressed them while overwriting old files but nothing works for me for some reason.

Any idea why or any suggestions?
  8. Risiko Augur

I was able to replace the Stamina bar with the Experience bar. That works for my wizard lol. I haven't figured out how to move it down below the other 3 experience bars, so I get my Stamina bar back yet.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Please post this in the DEV Test Update 04/11/16 thread. If this is a new bug it is vital that it be fixed before whatever they are doing on Test goes live. I literally cannot play with the default UI.
  10. Viper1 Augur

Nor I. I don't understand how anyone actually does play with default.
    Fanra likes this.
  11. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I should clarify that I mean the actual last patch not these down times for internal changes. Whenever the last actual patch was last month they changed something with the UI and since then I have not been able to use custom UIs. It may be something on my end that got changed and that I didn't fix since others aren't having the same issue.
  12. Vanrau Augur

Try to load up the custom UI again. Once it fails, go into your main EQ folder. There will be a file named UIErrors.txt. Open it up and copy and paste the errors in a post here and we should be able to spot the issue.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  13. Makavien Augur

Well people need more information to help you .Like what custom ui is it ? Is it one full ui or pieces mixed and matched ? Some ui modders change the main files which gets updated all the time and requires the ui modder to update his/her file to work. Some you can just disable the piece that was updated like mine it is the main reason I only make pieces . Look in the uierrors.txt and it will tell you the file and the line in the xml that is the cause of a conflicting error.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  14. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I usually use VertUI for Test but I tried Krome Integrated and AYA TDS but none of them load. I can't log in at the moment as Test crashed but I will try again later or tomorrow and post what's in the file.